cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly confused about data usage

Assistant Professor

Re: Utterly confused about data usage

Melissa, I have had it happen. Download several videos and it never subtracts from allowance. Then download something else on another day and it subtracts almost double.
Usually happens when near end of allowance or at the end of allowance and using token bytes.
I believe it is a real thing but very random and extremely hard to document. I'm trying to catch it the next time and post screen snips.

Hi Sgoshe , my comment was to simply explain why glasswire showed that much used just for the SCC page being displayed ( no refreshes just sitting there)..

I agree totally on the rest of it it, the meters are funky. the first week or so I've also noticed certain activities take WAY less than they should (Please don't fix it he.. he..) but I've also seen the otherside where it seams to drain twice as fast that last week or so !! Once upon a time I tried gathering data BUT networx very rarely backed up the theory leaving insufficient info..

Good luck though maybe you'll catch it Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

Gotcha. I now have a router that records usage. Between it and the Hughes meters, I hope to catch it.  

Thanks for explaining that. But, the data on my Hughes meter dropped from 5.0 to 4.9 when GlassWire told me I used about 80 Mb's. On another note, for the almost month I've been monitoring it when I sleep, that's the first time I've woken up and seen that much data used. Its usually less then an Mb after several hours. So based on those two things, I think the webpage meter stole data for some reason without compressing it. An update maybe?

So far the meters are erring in my favor. It started out that way with the other people.Then it boomeranged on them double and triple.  i disabled the "load images automatically" , and everything else that looked suspect. I trimmed it so far down it defeats the purpose of having high speed internet. I spend more time watching the meter than anything else. Its taking all the satisfaction out of the experience having to worry about using it. Im new to high speed. Spent the last 14yrs on dialup. There is a problem. On dialup, it took me 4-5 hours to load 50mb. It took me around a minute to load a web page, maybe two on average.So were talking kbs of data. With this high speed, fractions of a minute, but some how the same web pages became larger chunks of data, mbs now. How did the pages get bigger all of the sudden? Im running an intel imac mid '07. system 10.5.8. Using Opera for the main browser. it seems to use a lot less. leaves a smaller footprint. Facebook is a terrible bandwidth hog. a lot of people dont bother to check photo sizes before uploading. If your not printing, 100 - 200 kb is plenty for web viewing. Try uploading a 3 mb photo on dialup! I dont know if iphone cameras and the like downsize photos automatically or not, im guessing not. i spend too much time on facebook and ive noticed the up and down flux of data. Since there are no wireless devices in the place, that im aware of , that can be ruled out. i didnt down load any hughesnet software either. no meters or anything. i tried, they wouldnt work on this platform. The firewalls are up most of the time. nothing is entering or leaving this machine without my noticing it somewhere in a log. Weve been having a lot of solar activity causing geomagnetic storms in the upper atmosphere, where the satellites are. this will slow data transmission, corrupt files and other not so nice things. could be one of the problems. we just came out of one. i noticed slowness in the internet  through the entire warning/watch. intermittent slowness. All of this is radio frequency, solar wind, digital sat. communications. i have digital over the air t.v., when someone drives by with bad sparkplug wires it scrambles the signal. digital is what it is. enough of my rambling. when anyone experiences irratic internet check this out:http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/warnings_timeline.html . 
Assistant Professor

OK, just refilled last night. Another time when usage seems to be wacky for some period of time. Fired up system around 7:15 AM and began browsing. Now 8:50 AM and this is what the Hughes meter shows compared to my router shows. It is like the Hughes meter is stuck. I have seen this before on refill dates.

I know what you mean about disabling everything so it doesn't waste data. Unfortunately, I've been conditioned to high speed, unlimited internet since WebTV came out. The change is frustrating and honestly shouldn't be this way. Ever since I complained about this and posted the pictures up higher of my data usage, my system seems to go offline quite frequently for quite a few hours. Usually from 5am-10am. Somebody must be screwing with it. On top of the fact my data is flying down at least 700Mb's a day when all I do is surf online. That's it. Not even videos. If that's how the system is supposed to act, I would be pretty upset. I could upgrade to the 20/20 plan sure, but I don't feel like the way to fix my problems is to throw more money at Hughes.

Maybe if we just keep complaining they will come out with higher data plans and more reliable meters in a few years. They cant completely ignore us. Right? Right?!

Assistant Professor

8:56 AM Hughes meter compared to router:

Awesome. Thanks for throwing that up here. Mine seems to do the exact thing the first half of the month. Meter gets stuck and I can do all I please. Then the second half, it tanks and I'm left with a week or more of no data. Leaving me with unusable speeds. Once took me 4 solid days to download 500Mb's. 
Assistant Professor

9:30 AM :

Should be enough to prove this particular point. As said before, sometimes just the opposite happens. Much more is deducted than is actually used. Very screwy indeed.