VIDEO CHAT NOT WORKING!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VickiGetz
New Poster

VIDEO CHAT NOT WORKING!

I cant use my home wifi to video chat with my husband on my labtop! My wifi seems to be working fine otherwise. I can browse the web, watch videos and download things without issues but when I try to connect to a video chat with my husband I am unable to do so in the website that we use. Gtlvisitme.com. Please help me. This is the main reason I even have wifi in my home and currently I'm having to use my phones hotspot to visit him, which makes things very difficult and aggrevating when the phone is constantly ringing and the service gets interupted and our visit gets knocked off!

10 REPLIES 10
Hardy

Hello VickiGetz,

I can see you are new to the community, welcome and thank you for reaching out! I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your video chats.

With satellite internet your signal does travel from you, to the satellite, to the gateway, and back. This high latency might be why you're having trouble connecting to the video chat. If you have any other questions please ask! Thanks!

*Felicia*

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Did it work before, or is this a new thing?

Video chat doesn't work well (or consistently) with satellite systems because of the latency that is caused by the signal traveling to space and back.   This can't be changed with current technology.  

I cant use my home wifi to video chat with my husband on my labtop! My wifi seems to be working fine otherwise. I can browse the web, watch videos and download things without issues but when I try to connect to a video chat with my husband I am unable to do so in the website that we use. Gtlvisitme.com. Please help me. This is the main reason I even have wifi in my home and currently I'm having to use my phones hotspot to visit him, which makes things very difficult and aggrevating when the phone is constantly ringing and the service gets interupted and our visit gets knocked off!

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

VickiGetz
New Poster

I can video chat thru other programs such as facebook and Skype just fine. I have no other connection problems or slow speed issues at all in any other areas. For the most part I get excellent service and am able to do anything I need to do fast and efficiently. The only problem I'm having is with the video chat on this particular website. If you have any suggestions or things for me to try I'd really appreciate the help. I'm now trying to do it from my desk top which is hardwired. Although I'm a little confused as to of its connected properly. Although I am connected to the internet just fine from the looks of it, when I click the network connection icon on the bottom right of the screen in the toolbar, the only option I'm given there is something that says broadband. So I clicked that and pressed connect, thinking this was what I needed to do to connect my desktop to the internet, but its unable to connect. And assuming that I don't need to connect to broadband to have internet connection cause I'm connected without it, I'm wondering it that's my problem as to why I'm not able to do the video chat. If I was able to connect to the broadband would it run better and make it so I could do the video chat on gtlvisitme.com? Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
maratsade

What I was asking, though, was if you had been able to chat with your husband using this particular website and Hughesnet before.  

If it's only with the one website, I wonder if the problem may be with the website, not with your system.  I'm tagging others who may know more about this.

@GabeU

@MarkJFine

Not all video chat is the same. Many use different protocols that may or may not work well over HughesNet's double-natted system and/or inherent lag and possible congestion. Some things will work and work well, others not so much.

Then you have complications of whatever upstream provider is used at the gateway/ground station. Many have been dynamically rerouting due to the Cali fires, and they might not be the best routes. What that means is that it's very possible that any lags or stalls caused by the route may be inhibiting it from working correctly.

Lastly, you have possible congestion at the destination, which also may cause additional lags and stalling, as well as an inability to connect at all.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@VickiGetz

As with Mark, I, too, would suggest that the higher latency inherent to satellite internet, and possible congestion, is something that an aspect of the video chat service doesn't like very much.  The latency, in particular, is something that some websites and/or their servers seem to be sensitive to.   

As for your desktop, I'm not sure what's going on.  With my Windows desktop, when I first connected it to the modem it asked me if I wanted to set it up as a public or private network.  I chose public, due to being the only one here.  But, since doing so, I don't have to click on anything in the taskbar to go online.  If the computer is connected to the modem with a LAN cable, and both the computer and modem are on, it's online.  The only thing I then need to click on is the icon for my browser, which is Chrome.  

What does your desktop have for an operating system?  If Windows, which version?  

maratsade

@GabeU, the website the OP is trying to access is for a very specific purpose - - it is unlikely she would be able to use another chat method.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

@GabeU, the website the OP is trying to access is for a very specific purpose - - it is unlikely she would be able to use another chat method.

Ah, okay.  Well, I don't really know what could be tried to get the service to work properly.  It might help with the desktop being directly connected.  

VickiGetz,

On your laptop, have tried using a different browser for this website? For example, if you use Google Chrome all the time, try using Internet Explorer instead. Some websites work better with a different browser. Worth a shot, right?

Hello VickiGetz,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you. Thank you!