VOIP Dropping to a Busy Signal after 1-2 minutes on Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffp
Freshman

VOIP Dropping to a Busy Signal after 1-2 minutes on Gen5

VOIP worked great for the first month after upgrade from Gen4 and now it drops calls after about a minute for the past 4-5 months. I plugged a corded phone in to eliminate any interference as well as do not have any alarms or anything else I could think of cutting the connection? Probably have a bad ATA and not sure how to get a replacement?

12 REPLIES 12
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jeffp

Because this issue is something the reps will need to help with, I will tag them so that they will be sure to see your post.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, but it may take them a day or two to reply.  With it now being Friday evening, the earliest you may hear from them is Monday.  

If you would rather not wait for help here you can call 866-347-3292 for tech support.  

I wish I had a quicker resolution for you.  😞 

@Liz

@Amanda

Thank you! It will be a challenge for me to call with my VOIP not working. Cell coverage is even worse so I will wait for a response here. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! We can certainly help you out, it can be tricky to get HughesNet Voice support over the phone when call performance is the issue. I've located your account and will run diagnostics on your site to ensure all the equipment is working normally. I'll post back once I have any updates for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz! I always appreciate the great support. FYI: I tried using my VOIP again this morning to join a work conference call and was dropped off to a busy signal again after about a minute. I also tried a direct call to a friend and it dropped me the same.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #109000563 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If the drop to busy symptom persists after the site visit, please provide the following information and do the additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Are you having issues with browsing?

2. Disconnect your router and PC from the ATA so that just the ATA is connected to the HughesNet modem and then check if the call drop is still occurring.

3. Reconnect the router and PC to the ATA and check if call drop is still occurring.

4. Take note of the phone number, date, and time of the dropped call. You can PM a mod with this information.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Tech support arrived on time and was very professional! I was impressed how quick the response was. We optimized my dish to beam 82 on Echostar 19 NAD and changed POL from RH to LH increasing satellite receive signal strength from 94 to114. This helped with speed and a bit of latency but has not fixed the ATA/VOIP Call drops. After the tech left, I tried using my VOIP for a work conference call and was dropped off after 3-4 minutes to a busy signal. Perhaps the ATA is dead or dying?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the update on the site visit, glad it went well. 

If the drop to busy symptom persists after the site visit, please provide the following information and do the additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Are you having issues with browsing?

2. Disconnect your router and PC from the ATA so that just the ATA is connected to the HughesNet modem and then check if the call drop is still occurring.

3. Reconnect the router and PC to the ATA and check if call drop is still occurring.

4. Take note of the phone number, date, and time of the dropped call. You can PM a mod with this information.

Hi Liz,

I don't have any issue with browsing as it is as expected over satellite.

There is nothing connected to my ATA as I have the newest wireless router from Hughes and rather have the ATA plugged into the router. I am not sure what "PM a Mod" is but it sounds like I could add a number maybe to a table and hope for better luck? That would be great as the majority of the time I am dialed into the same few conference numbers. Let me know how to PM a Mod and we can try that! Thanks for all your help!

Jeff

Thank you, here are my responses and anticipated resolution:

1. Are you having issues with browsing? No

2. Disconnect your router and PC from the ATA so that just the ATA is connected to the HughesNet modem and then check if the call drop is still occurring. I have nothing but my phone connected to my ATA

3. Reconnect the router and PC to the ATA and check if call drop is still occurring. See #2 response

4. Take note of the phone number, date, and time of the dropped call. You can PM a mod with this information. I have a few numbers and will wait on your PM Mod

Good morning Jeff,

Thank you for the information.  By PM a mod, I mean you can private message (PM) a moderator, like myself. This way you can share private info with us without posting it publicly here in your thread. 

Please private message me the numbers on which the call drops to busy. To do so, click my username or icon on the left side to go to my profile page. Then click the Send a Message button on the top right of my profile page to compose your PM to me.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@jeffp wrote:

Thank you! It will be a challenge for me to call with my VOIP not working. Cell coverage is even worse so I will wait for a response here. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Actually, you're right.  It certainly would be a bit of a challenge to call when the phone isn't working right.  LOL.  😛  

Sometimes I get a little wrapped up in my responses and I can't see the forest for the trees.  

I've got to lay off the decaf!  😛 

I'm glad you've got a tech coming to check it out.  🙂