VPN on PC

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiredgeorge
New Poster

VPN on PC

NBA season starting soon.  I am a Dish customer and the local NBA team is blacked out when playing at home.  Was thinking about installing ExpressVPN on my Win 10 desk top pc and watching games on the PC after subscribing to NBA League Pass.  Has anyone tried or done this?  Will it work.  I know I can't set up my Hughesnet modem/router as a VPN router.  Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not talking about modem being a VPN server, talking about a computer running as VPN client like you are asking about. Most likely will not work or be very spotty on when it does. Can disable Web Acceleration on the modem to possibly help but still no guarantee it will.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

VPN is not recommended nor supported by HughesNet. Streaming video at the greatly reduced speed caused by VPN will most likely make it unviewable. This from the Help/FAQs section:

vpn.PNG

Modem won't be running VPN; the wireless modem will transmit data to PC client which will have the VPN software running on it.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Not talking about modem being a VPN server, talking about a computer running as VPN client like you are asking about. Most likely will not work or be very spotty on when it does. Can disable Web Acceleration on the modem to possibly help but still no guarantee it will.

(My first post. Have had HughesNet since July 2018). I read your comments on VPNs and am wondering what I can do or what my employer can do to speed things up even a little bit. I work from home for the govenment and must login to my work account via a VPN. I have a HughesNet HT2000W modem wired to my work PC directly. (I have an internal wireless router but only use that for my home computers, no real problems there.) Is there a faster/better modem available better able to handle the VPN latency/encryption issues? Can I get a channel dedicated to me that I do not have to share with other users? Any VPN advice from the community?

I do not do any gaming. All I do at work is MS Office products and work web sites where most of the files I access are on the company network (not local to my PC). I don't download a lot of files, but just opening a network file can take a minute or two. I've run some speed tests and average about a minute for web site loads. Any database access takes even longer, so I find half my time is spent waiting for an input response. I haven't done the testmy.net speed tests yet, that's my next step.

Thanks,

OldVAXman

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@oldvaxman

Unfortunately, it's not likely.  The HT2000W is the latest modem, and the only modem that can be used with Gen5 service, which is the latest service available.  Like BirdDog mentioned above, disabling Web Acceleration might help a little, but you most likely won't see any significant improvement, if any at all.  

You can disable Web Acceleration here...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/wac/control

Business plans do offer static IPs, but I don't know that a static IP would make any difference with a VPN, nor if being on a static IP means you would be on a dedicated channel in the beam.  Even so, they still don't recommend usage of a VPN with business plans, either.