Vanishing Data and Lies from Customer "Service"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dude
New Poster

Vanishing Data and Lies from Customer "Service"

I had nearly 4 GB of anytime data when I went to sleep. My usage meter shows 5GB was downloaded during bonus time (I only downloaded 500MB), and it was deducted from both my bonus allowance AND my anytime minutes (leaving me with zero). Tried the chat customer support - which is apparently a computerized response system since I never received an answer to the simple question I asked 4 times - and then called on the phone, only to be lied to by someone who kept calling me "Mr. (first name)", who claimed 5GB was downloaded between midnight and 1 am (while I was fast asleep and everything was turned off). Not the first time a representative has lied to me, but the usage meter clearly shows the download occurred during bonus time and was double-deducted.

Has anyone filed a formal dispute over lost/vanishing data? I took a screenshot of the usage meter so I can prove the data was double-deducted. 

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@dude

What Usage Meter is it that you are looking at that shows when the data was deducted ("the usage meter clearly shows the download occurred during bonus time")?   No HughesNet usage meter breaks down data usage by time.  If you have this proof, it would benefit you to post the pictures here so that you can show that this happened.  Also, if this did, in fact, happen, it was not deliberate, nor something normal.  

Many devices have the ability to use data on their own, without you actively using them.  DirecTV satellite receivers are a perfect example of this.  They can use a ton of data on their own, including while they are turned off.   

The usage meter I downloaded has a Usage History graph with separate lines for Service Plan, Bonus Data and Data Tokens. Hovering over the day tells you how much data was downloaded and uploaded. Mine shows the exact same amount deducted for the Bonus Data (blue line) and Service Plan - the 5.2 shown is from hovering the cursor over the Bonus Data.

Usage History.png

GabeU

@dude

The 5.2GB is a total for the day, not for the individual time period of that day, or line.   What it shows is that you exhausted your  Anytime data on the 25th, and the Bonus Data line, because it's stacked on top of the Anytime Data line, dropped at the same rate.  Not the individual Bonus Data amount, but the line.  

The way the lines are stacked, it shows a total amount, like when your data resets your Anytime line sits at 14GB, because you have 10GB of Anytime Data and 4GB of Tokens.  When you show your Bonus Data on the graph, it's going to show a total of 64GB of data, and that's where the blue Bonus Data line will sit.  When you used however much Anytime Data it was on the 25th, and it does look to be all that you had remaining, the green Anytime Data line dropped, as did the blue Bonus Data line, because it's stacked.  

Again, the 5.2GB is a total for the day, not per line.  

Absolutely not true. I did not download 5.2 GB at all that day (morning or night), and I know what my meter says.  It says 5.2 GB was downloaded during bonus data time, and it was deducted from the wrong allowance. Then Hughesnet lied about it. Perhaps you should refrain from commenting about someone's post unless you know what you're talking about.

GabeU

@dude wrote:

Absolutely not true. I did not download 5.2 GB at all that day (morning or night), and I know what my meter says.  It says 5.2 GB was downloaded during bonus data time, and it was deducted from the wrong allowance. Then Hughesnet lied about it. Perhaps you should refrain from commenting about someone's post unless you know what you're talking about.

Yes, your meter shows that 5.2GB was downloaded on the 25th.  Though you may wish it showed it broken down the way you thought it was, it doesn't.  It simply shows a total of 5.2GB being downloaded that day, not when, nor what time period, as in whether it was during the Anytime Data period or Bonus Period.  It doesn't break it down like that, regardless of what you thought.  

Someone takes the time out of their day to calmly and informatively explain how the data is actually broken down in that graph and you then act like a jerk because you don't like it.  How nice.  

Your "proof" is proof that 5.2GB was downloaded on the 25th.  Nothing more.  

Hi dude,

Thanks for posting, glad to see our community step up and provide you with correct information. Thanks Gabe!

We can only see what devices are currently connected to your network, but we cannot see which programs/apps on those devices used your data in the past. Our community members have recommended GlassWire to help you monitor your historical data usage since we currently don't have that feature. Keep in mind that GlassWire only shows data usage on the computer it is installed on, so it won’t tell you how much data your cell phone uses on your wifi network. There may be apps available for your devices to help you monitor your data, feel free to ask the community for their recommendations.

I’ll apply free tokens for your unidentified data usage this time, but moving forward, we highly suggest using GlassWire and other data monitoring apps so you know what exactly is using your data.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!