Vanishing Data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paitheladee
Sophomore

Vanishing Data

Worked with a tech who was told I used it.  A total of 16g gone, when my computer was off, I was gone.  On my day off, the first one I have had in sometime. 

I ran trouble shooters, anitmalware, antivirus, etc.  I keep a watch on what I do so I don't eat up my data, get through the month.

Cell phone and desktop are connected. Nothing running on either that would eat that much data in a couple of hours, 8-10 am and as I said I was not online, I left about 8:30 am. No one here, I live in the country, the closest neighbor would not know how to hack my wifi, I have to help her with her cell phone and computer.

Went ahead and changed pws on wifi, ids, and still cannot find what happened.

Right now it is a curiousity more than anything, how this could happen.  Not equipment, so what is it?

Running the troubleshooter the error I received is DNS is not responding. 

When I use these, it responds again:

ipconfig:

/flushdns

/registerdns

/release

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Oh, do not send me to the articles you have regarding the data, that is not it and I am tired of being told I used it when I did not.  I would not bother anyone if it had been me.  I am not an idiot and tired of being spoken to like that.

Thank you for your consideration and insight. 

23 REPLIES 23
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@paitheladee , before the reps on this site can help you, you will need to run the required data usage troubleshooting protocol below. Please follow the instructions to the letter and post the results. 

DATA USAGE TROUBLESHOOTING INSTRUCTIONS

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, though follow the full instructions written below the graphic. This is known as a Modem Isolation Test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with HughesNet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours. HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work. DO NOT unplug the modem from the power. The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screenshot of the Home page of the System Control Center, along with the clock on your computer screen.
7: Post your screenshots to the community.

The screenshots should look similar to the following, being dependent on the operating system, with the system clock included (you can move the System Control Center data level window to being near the system clock so that it is included more easily).

photo mfQBdeH.jpg

Do not unplug, power cycle or internally reboot the modem after the test has been run, as the reps need to be able to reconcile your modem data logs with what is shown in the screenshots. Any of those three things will wipe out those logs, rendering the test results moot. Only after the reps have responded with their findings should any of those three things be done.

Please be aware that, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, some usage may appear to have occurred due to the slight delay (lag) in the modem reporting the data usage to the server, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

I will run this tonight, the tech that worked with me, said I was using more data than my side showed, I check at least daily, so am confused about how myside showed one piece of info and his showed a different one.

Thank you again. Will update after I get this done. 

maratsade

I'm sure the HN reps on this site will get to the bottom of this once they have your data. I'd be confused too, not to mention concerned, if data usage was more than I expected.  

Cannot get the pdf for managing modem, keep getting a reset error message. 

Thank you,

maratsade

Phooey.  I guess it was moved... I hope @Liz or another mod can provide the updated link. 

Good morning folks, 

Here's the link to the modem user sheet: http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041318-0001_d.pdf

That user sheet is enough to get you to the wifi settings. 

And if anyone wants the full manual: http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz, that was a help.

GabeU

@paitheladee 

If you haven't unplugged or rebooted the HughesNet modem since the problem you should be able to see what was connected during the time of the data usage, as there may very well be something you're missing.  You can see the info on this modem page.  If, however, you've unplugged or rebooted the modem since then, the logs will from that time will be gone. 

Good morning,

There was nothing connected during the peak use, it occured during 7 to 10 a. 

I did use my Mac Air that afternoon for a couple of minutes, but it is off otherwise.  by that time the data was long gone.

I have continued to do research, cannot find anything that would drain 16 g Which would have happened between 8 a to 10 a, because the time prior was on my bonus time.

Last month the last couple of weeks something was draining, but not like this. 

Thank you for your response. 

maratsade

@paitheladee 

This is peculiar. Was your wifi on? I wonder if a device connected to the wifi and downloaded updates or something else. For example, TVs connected to the wifi can download stuff even if they're turned off. 

You may want to install network monitoring software on your devices. For Windows, Glasswire is very good (and free). I don't know what might be available for Mac, but maybe one of these will work.   The monitors typically have to be installed in every device that uses the network. Alternatively, there are routers that monitor usage of the whole network, so if you and the reps here can't figure out what's using so much data, you may want to look into getting one.

I would also disconnect the modem from the wall when not in use. No modem, no data usage at all. 

(Edited to add links)

@paitheladee wrote:

Good morning,

I did use my Mac Air that afternoon for a couple of minutes, but it is off otherwise.  by that time the data was long gone.

I have continued to do research, cannot find anything that would drain 16 g Which would have happened between 8 a to 10 a, because the time prior was on my bonus time.

Last month the last couple of weeks something was draining, but not like this. 

Thank you for your response. 

GabeU

@paitheladee wrote: 

Does the modem page I linked to reflect no connected devices on that date and time period?

If the modem has not been unplugged or rebooted since the discrepancy occurred, I would make sure to not do so in order to allow one of the reps here to look at the logs.  Again, though, if it has lost power or been rebooted, or is before a rep has a chance to look, those logs will not be available.

My apologies, have been seriously swamped, gratefully with work.

I looked at it, shows on that date my MacAir signed out at 2:45 or so.  But it does not show what time it signed in.  I used it for about 20 minutes on Sunday.  Otherwise my phone and desktop were not on. 

The others show disconnect prior to that date and after, Monday and Tuesday.

Since I brought this issue up, data has been minimal use on the days I am in my home office.  That day is the only anomaly, prior to and now use is minimal when I work.  If anything I use the bonus time more for my uploads, updates, etc.

And my computer has been quiet, CPU not over heating and running constant.  I am finding this to be an odd issue.

Not sure what else to check.  Virus scan, malware, root scan, etc all show computer is clean, drivers updated, etc.  I run some of these checks weekly, drivers, etc monthly.

The one big change is I turned off Windows update temporarily.  The next major update takes up to four hours to download, longer on this service.  Not good.

Thank you again for all your suggestions, still have not shut wifi off, but that is next on my list for overnight shutting all electronics off. 

The tech I spoke with on Tuesday after this incident, did look at the logs, etc.  He quoted data use beyond what I am seeing on the monitor, the one on the website, usage map.  The month before towards the end I had a lot of heavy work uploads so used a bit more, he used that to justify the use loss that day.  That was what the techs over him told him.  That I used it.  End of story.  This is an anomly that has not explanation.

maratsade

If you have any time and you'd like the HN reps on this site to get involved, you will need to run the missing data procedure mentioned above.  This may give the reps here something to analyse and also to send to the engineers at corporate. It may be of benefit to you to do this. 

Thank you, I will, have some time tomorrow afternoon.  I will do that. 

Appreciate the time taken to assist me.

Did the missing data procedure suggested.  As I said the funny thing is since I reported it, data has been normal, doing all the things I have always done.  My heavy uploads/downloads I do during the bonus hours. 

Here are the screen captures of the modem. Plugged in this morning, running major windows update now.  Not taking as long this time either.  Interesting.

modem set 2.JPGmodem set.JPG

Thank you.

Here is the screen shot of what I see when I check my data

Capture.JPG

Thank you,

UPDATE:

Same practices, nothing much changed, out of office a bit more, but that little bit 3.9g has lasted me, I still have 1g left in tokens.

So, what happened that day?  No one seems to have an answer for me and yet I lost that data.  Still cannot find an answer to it.

So I paid for nothing.  😞

maratsade

You paid for data and the data was used by something (such as software, a smart device, automatic updates, etc.) or someone.  Without time travel, you have no way to know what happened and neither does HN. All they can do, at most, is tell you that yes, data was used that day.  If you're concerned about strangers using your data, change the wifi password often. You can also unplug the modem when you're not at home or overnight. 

(Edited to add quoted message)

@paitheladee wrote:

UPDATE:

Same practices, nothing much changed, out of office a bit more, but that little bit 3.9g has lasted me, I still have 1g left in tokens.

So, what happened that day?  No one seems to have an answer for me and yet I lost that data.  Still cannot find an answer to it.

So I paid for nothing.  😞

did you  not read the original post?

No one was home, no computers, phones etc was on.  16+g's gone in two hours.  No record of anyone signed in during that time, looked at the history.  NO ONE signed in.  I live in the country, my closest nieghbor is in her 80's doubt she is a hacker.  Even so, it would show someone signed in during that time, I repeat, no one was signed in during that time.

So glad I get listened to. 

maratsade

Yes, I did read your posts. You don't like the answers, but this doesn't mean you don't get listened to.  The fact remains that without time travel no one can figure out where the data went, the data is lost. You paid for data and it's lost, though it got used by something.  To prevent this from happening again, disconnect the modem when you're not using it.  That guarantees no data is used.