cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing Data

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Vanishing Data

You paid for data and the data was used by something (such as software, a smart device, automatic updates, etc.) or someone.  Without time travel, you have no way to know what happened and neither does HN. All they can do, at most, is tell you that yes, data was used that day.  If you're concerned about strangers using your data, change the wifi password often. You can also unplug the modem when you're not at home or overnight. 

(Edited to add quoted message)

@paitheladee wrote:

UPDATE:

Same practices, nothing much changed, out of office a bit more, but that little bit 3.9g has lasted me, I still have 1g left in tokens.

So, what happened that day?  No one seems to have an answer for me and yet I lost that data.  Still cannot find an answer to it.

So I paid for nothing.  Smiley Sad

paitheladee
Sophomore

did you  not read the original post?

No one was home, no computers, phones etc was on.  16+g's gone in two hours.  No record of anyone signed in during that time, looked at the history.  NO ONE signed in.  I live in the country, my closest nieghbor is in her 80's doubt she is a hacker.  Even so, it would show someone signed in during that time, I repeat, no one was signed in during that time.

So glad I get listened to. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yes, I did read your posts. You don't like the answers, but this doesn't mean you don't get listened to.  The fact remains that without time travel no one can figure out where the data went, the data is lost. You paid for data and it's lost, though it got used by something.  To prevent this from happening again, disconnect the modem when you're not using it.  That guarantees no data is used. 

paitheladee
Sophomore

t what you said, but you still not reading:  There is nothing here to use the data.  I live in the country.  Not in town.  NO neighbors, no electronics near.  Nothing.

I am trying to figure this out so it does not happen again.

Passwords changed regularly.  Monitor devices connected, FYI I repeat no device connected that day.  Looked at the history.  The link I was provided to look at connected devices.  Data used 7 to 11 on a Sunday.  7 to 8 is bonus, 8 to 11 no one was here, nothing near by that can use the data.  Everything is off. 

DON't Bother repling, Done.  Issue is no one wants to find an answer.  I hope this does not happen to anyone else.  I do not for one have the money to throw away.  I rely on this for employment and my income.