cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Venting Frustration

Distinguished Professor III

Re: Venting Frustration

@leslierussell1

It definitely sounds to me like you either have a virus, malware, the issue to which BirdDog offered a link to a fix, or even a program or process that's gone a little batty.  I had a Windows 8.1 notebook that started doing that one day.  My fix ultimately came down to a reinstall, but it worked.  

What Operating System do you have on your computer?  The reason I ask is that, depending on what it is, and depending on whether you can get the problem fixed via antivirus/antimalware or the fix BirdDog posted, and depending on how much it would take to save your important files, it may just be easier to reinstall Windows.  

This will all depend on what you have and how much you have to save from the current system.  

I second BirdDog's question about Malwarebytes.  Another product I suggest is Norton Power Eraser.  I normally don't care for Norton products, but this one is a free, on demand scanner that works very well to ferret out malware or viruses that others might miss.  One other free one, which I also run at least once a month, is the Microsoft Safety Scanner.  It's another free, on demand scanner that will check your system for the bad things mentioned. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@leslierussell1

If you don't know how to view what's causing it, you can press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete buttons at the same time to bring up the Task Manager.  In that Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, if it's not already on there, and then click on the CPU header.  This will change it so that the process/program/app that is using the highest CPU percentage will be at the top.  It's dynamic, so it may constantly change, but the things that are using so much of your CPU power should always be at the top if you click on CPU.  If clicking on CPU makes it so the things that are using the smallest percentage of CPU power are at the top, click CPU again to change it.  Knowing what process/program/app is causing the problem may help to know what to do to solve it.  

To close the Task Manager click on the X on the upper right.  

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning Leslie,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience. I can understand your frustration when you're unable to do the things you need to do online. As the others have already suggested, looks like you'll need to focus on your computer and home network first. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics and the HughesNet system is working well, getting plan appropriate speeds. By chance, do you have a different device you can hook up to the HughesNet modem to see how the performance compares to your current device? This is just for troubleshooting purposes, if no other device, I'd follow the suggestions given by our fellow community members.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Highlighted
Freshman

It's an HP laptop running Windows 10.  Not sure about the memory on it.  At the moment I am using my older laptop to connect, it has Windows 7 on it.  No problems with other devices.  Just the HP when it is connected to the 5GHz connection on the modem.

Tags (3)

Thanks, Leslie, good thing you have another laptop that works well.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

@leslierussell1

Like Liz, I'm glad that you have another computer that you can use in the interim.  

With regard to the PC in question, I would definitely go through the Processes in the Task Manager and take a look at just what it is that is using so much of your CPU.  Hopefully it's a single thing, as it can make the fix that much simpler and easier.

If you're not able to determine why what's using so much of the CPU power is doing so, or you just don't feel comfortable in knowing what programs should or shouldn't be uninstalled, it would help if you could post a snapshot of the Processes in the Task Manager, which would be just like the the snapshot I posted.  That way we may be able to see what's going on and guide you to the next step.  

If you're familiar with the Snipping Tool that is built into Windows 10, you can use that to get the snapshot and post it on here (using the Photos button at the top of the message body when you're typing a reply).  You can also take the snapshot on the Windows 10 computer, transfer that snapshot to the computer you're presently using, and reply/upload it with that.  

The following is about the Snipping Tool....  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

Hi Leslie,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,
Liz