cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verify Your Connected Devices (How To Step by Step Guide)

bare65
Advanced Tutor

Re: How To: Verify your Connected Devices

Thank you @Liz

I've since edited my original tutorial to clarify that this tutorial only applies to those customers who, like myself, are using a basic set-up Smiley Happy

monicakm
Senior

Birddog,  yeah, I know it's the backdrops but they must be hideously large files or Google is doing something else other than downloading backdrops (surprise!).  I also read about making and using your own image but that didn't stop the downloading of backgrounds.

Your link just took me to a reply I made in this conversation Smiley Surprised  

So you find you can simply turn the tv off and it disables the Chromecast?  A HN tech support agent showed me that my system was using 17MB/hour in the middle of the night when everything was off (including the tv).  Just having the tv off didn't stop it.  I had to unplug the USB cable from the CC, killing any connection to it.  Since my tv is on the wall, over the office desk (Bedroom tv is even higher), it was way too much trouble to unplug it when not in use AND the 17MB/hour it was using on top of casting.  Since I'm now scheduling my videos during Bonus hours, I could afford the 3-4MB/hour.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Your TV must not turn off the USB port when the TV is off. No way it can use data without power.
My experience doing the steps in the link I gave is it now uses about 1 MB an hour when powered on. A lot less than out of the box.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

BirdDog,

The link you provided creates a reply. I think you meant to post something different. 😋

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeUwrote:
BirdDog,

The link you provided creates a reply. I think you meant to post something different. 😋

Oops, so I did, thanks Gabe. I corrected it there and here it is again: https://www.howtogeek.com/337719/how-to-tame-your-chromecasts-background-data-usage/

Guess I need to brush up on my copy/paste technique. Smiley Tongue

Perhaps @monicakm will want to look at the correct link, sorry about that.