Verizon Hotspot/unlimited data vs Hughesnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HateHughesNet
New Poster

Verizon Hotspot/unlimited data vs Hughesnet

I have Hughes no other option except to go with Verizon Hotspot. We mostly use phones, TV streaming, and occasionally a computer/printer. I will pay whatever it takes to leave Hughes. I'm currently looking into paying local cable to run cable to our area as it ends 1000 ft down the road. To get us over the hump, was wondering if anyone has tried Hotspot for all the above uses and if so, what was your experience?
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I have tried the Verizon hotspot. Where I live, the quality and speed are very poor, even though ping is low.   As for Verizon Unlimited, there are many many many complaints out there about how slow it is (it tends to be very congested).  You of course may have better luck. 

Terrestrial cable may be your best bet, if you can get the cable company to accept your money (I know they often don't run cable to people even if they offer to pay for it).  Have you already reached out to them?

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@HateHughesNet wrote:
I have Hughes no other option except to go with Verizon Hotspot. We mostly use phones, TV streaming, and occasionally a computer/printer. I will pay whatever it takes to leave Hughes. I'm currently looking into paying local cable to run cable to our area as it ends 1000 ft down the road. To get us over the hump, was wondering if anyone has tried Hotspot for all the above uses and if so, what was your experience?

I have. I have a few close neighbors, close is relative in rural areas, but they all are wanting the cable to extend. They would gain about 6-8 customers. I'm slowly wearing them down. I did it where I used to live. Took a year, but they did it. It cost me $1800. Worth every penny. Made the sale of my home easier. Finally had the option to work from home. I'll pay whatever. I feel I'm paying for nothing now. I run out of data usually by the 5th or 6th of the month with Hughes. I used to pay for a larger data package, but I still ran out quickly and even at top speeds, it was easier to use my cell phone data.

I'm thinking of purchasing a hotspot and the special antenna for outside the home. A friend did it and it raised her coverage exponentially. Thank you for your answer.
maratsade

Wow, that's a real feat! I hope you can get this done again successfully, and since there are other people interested, it won't be expensive.  

@HateHughesNet wrote:
I have. I have a few close neighbors, close is relative in rural areas, but they all are wanting the cable to extend. They would gain about 6-8 customers. I'm slowly wearing them down. I did it where I used to live. Took a year, but they did it. It cost me $1800. Worth every penny. Made the sale of my home easier. Finally had the option to work from home. 

Maher4

I changed to Verizon Jetpack from HughesNet because I now work from hone and HughesNet doesn’t support VPN. My Verizon works great
maratsade

I'm probably one of 100 people nationwide for whom Verizon reeks. LOL

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Maher4 wrote:
I changed to Verizon Jetpack from HughesNet because I now work from hone and HughesNet doesn’t support VPN. My Verizon works great

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Usually "unlimited" means speed is not guaranteed after a certain amount.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Usually "unlimited" means speed is not guaranteed after a certain amount.

I think the threshold is 22GB.  

Thank you! Was wondering, do you stream multiple TVs? Phones? Computers? Thank you!