Very Slow Download after FAP Removed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newtonf
Junior

Very Slow Download after FAP Removed

Hello, I was recently in FAP and it expired yesterday. System Status is now green, but my download speeds range from 500 to 700 kbps ( average around 550). I have rebooted my computer, and the modem (HT2000W). Powered off my modem and checked speeds with a wired connection, but download speeds remain the same. Is it possible that I remain in FAP, even though my System Status is green?

Testmy.net values at https://testmy.net/quickstats/stanleytpig

System is Gen5 (EcoStar-19-NAD); Gateway ID 15; Beam ID 71

Satellite Receive Signal Strength 99

Thanks for any help/comments you can provide

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello - this may be my last attempt to deal with this speed issue. I am wasting lots of bandwidth on very slow speed test results, but one more update. 

1. Since January 3d I have run 61 download speed test on testmy.net between approximatly 6:30 AM and 9:30 PM pacific time (https://testmy.net/quickstats/stanleytpig)
  2. I have "chatted" with Hughesnet support and was promissed that I would receive a call from engineering within 72 hours - it's been five days with no telephone call (case number 108575566)
  3. I was told that I should be able to download at "at least" 60% of 25 Mbps = 15 Mbps
  4. 88 % of all speed tests are less than 15 Mbps and 67% are LESS THAN 5 Mbps
  5. I am using Gen5 with a 30/50 Meg plan and an HT2000W wired modem (although wireless results are the same)
  6. Here is a graphic of my test results:
  7. Speed Analysis 180108.jpg

Again I ask......

Would it be possible for one of the talented Hughes Staff that monitors this forum please look into my situation and let me know if there is anything that can be done to provide the service that I am paying for? 

thank you for any help and reading this request - ciao for now, Skip

View solution in original post

Hello again,

Nobody from Hughes tech support ever called, or responded to my request on this forum chain. Perhaps everyone was simply busy fixing things, because yesterday and today my download speed has returned to normal (15-30 Mbps).

So I guess I'm all better for the moment and I can close this string.

I will open a new thread if the problem reoccurs.

ciao for now - Skip

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
IntoTheWoods
Junior

Hi Newtonf. We are all pretty much in that boat now. After excellent speeds for the first few months of Gen5, many customers are now reporting evening speeds slower than 1 Mbps. HughesNet has not fully disclosed what is going on (though they have acknowledged some problems in a limited way and say that they are working on it). But the unconfirmed scuttlebutt, based on multiple customers quoting what they were told in calls from "engineers," is that HughesNet has oversold Gen5 and that the load now exceeds the satellite's design capacity. The speeds we see are consistent with that. My evening speeds are ALWAYS 1 Mbps or lower of late, and the best morning speeds are usually around 19Mbps.

Please don't give up. It's important that HughesNet customers stick together and demand what we were promised — true broadband.

Well that's not cool. I just spent 60 minutes chatting with Hughes support and I was told after running 4 Hughesnet speed tests that I am doing well to be getting 1 Mbps!

Can someone in tech support on this forum bump this up please.

Thanks, Skip Newton

Hello again - Update.

I was assigned a case number last night (108575566) and a comitiment that "Our Engineers will contact you within 72 hours since they need to investigate this issue." So I will await the call. Last night download speeds ended up at 0.415 kbps. This morning at ~7 am the jumped to 18, 8.8, and 29 Mbps! and then dropped to 3.0 and 4.4 Mbps at around 10 am. That is an average of 12.64 and still less than guaranteeded 60% of 25, which is 15 Mbps. I am using testmy.net to get these speed estimates. 

I will check checking throughout the day and update everyone later. 

Hello again Udate – Still REALLY, REALLY slow downloads. It has been 48 hours since chat support said an engineer would call and no call yet (108575566).  I have conducted 30 download speed tests using testmy.net in the last three days (https://testmy.net/quickstats/stanleytpig), with the following summarized results:

• 25 tests were between 0.28 and 6.68 Mbps.
  • 15 WERE BELOW 1 Mbps.
  • Three were greater than 15 Mbps and these were done before 9 AM – after that things are dead slow.
  • The average of 30 download tests over three days was 4.2 Mbps.

I am on Gen5 with a 30/50 Meg plan that costs $87/per month. I have been with Hughes since 2001 – that’s 17 years and it would be really nice if someone could fix this problem.

I’ll provide an update as things progress towards a resolution.

Hello - this may be my last attempt to deal with this speed issue. I am wasting lots of bandwidth on very slow speed test results, but one more update. 

1. Since January 3d I have run 61 download speed test on testmy.net between approximatly 6:30 AM and 9:30 PM pacific time (https://testmy.net/quickstats/stanleytpig)
  2. I have "chatted" with Hughesnet support and was promissed that I would receive a call from engineering within 72 hours - it's been five days with no telephone call (case number 108575566)
  3. I was told that I should be able to download at "at least" 60% of 25 Mbps = 15 Mbps
  4. 88 % of all speed tests are less than 15 Mbps and 67% are LESS THAN 5 Mbps
  5. I am using Gen5 with a 30/50 Meg plan and an HT2000W wired modem (although wireless results are the same)
  6. Here is a graphic of my test results:
  7. Speed Analysis 180108.jpg

Again I ask......

Would it be possible for one of the talented Hughes Staff that monitors this forum please look into my situation and let me know if there is anything that can be done to provide the service that I am paying for? 

thank you for any help and reading this request - ciao for now, Skip

Hello again,

Nobody from Hughes tech support ever called, or responded to my request on this forum chain. Perhaps everyone was simply busy fixing things, because yesterday and today my download speed has returned to normal (15-30 Mbps).

So I guess I'm all better for the moment and I can close this string.

I will open a new thread if the problem reoccurs.

ciao for now - Skip