Very Slow internet speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Patticv
Freshman

Very Slow internet speeds

Have had Hughesnet since Aug. 2016. I think it ran better than previous provider for a while ..... my husband disagrees. But If it did do well, it was only for less than a month or so. I only use a Samsung tablet. They came out and realigned it, but never came in house and checked it out. I have called and spoken to a couple of very pleasant ladies trying to get things working. They had me run speed tests and averaging the 3, gave me a "normal" rate, however one was a bizarre over 40.00 MB. I just ran speed tests through my hughesnet speed test. Downloads averaged (from 4tests) was 1.05 MB. Uploads .57MB. I don't understand how it can fluctuate so much when talking with customer service providers and yet not let me even run a 2 minute YouTube without it taking 15 minutes of my data time to play a 2 minutes video. I have never streamed a video or played games. At this point, I'd just like to watch YouTube work and go to news websites. The hughesnet customer service people were very nice. But after over an hour each time, nothing was different, I had wasted my time and yet I was told there didn't appear to be a problem. This service eats my data spooling. Can anyone suggest anything I can do to improve my service? Thank you very much.
12 REPLIES 12
Patticv
Freshman

I ran tests last night and this morning through test my.com. None were very impressive. This morning the test says "you might have a problem. Your connection scored only 2% of the Hughesnet systems average. Etc. .15 MB maximum
Download 139 Kbps upload 1 MBps.
How can I get someone to believe me when I say I am not getting what I am paying for.

Second test test my.com. Scored 1% of hughesnet avg. download 137 Kbps upload 671 Kbps. Third test 141 Kbps download. 867 Kbps upload
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could you post a link to your test results?  Hughes requires this information in order to look at the problem.  Also, you may want to follow the instructions below to assure you provide the required data.

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, all using a 12MB manual download test. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER or Wireless devices)
-use the 12MB size download test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

my internet is so slow i scored 1% in the test 127kb and my system status is the orange

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Nick2,

If your system status is Orange, and you are a Gen4, or Gen3 subscriber, then you have hit your monthly or daily data allowance and have been throttled back.  Those speeds do fall in line with throttled speeds.  If you need to further troubleshoot, please create a new topic of your own.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Please explain how my data can be used so quickly? I was the only one using it last night. I never watch movies, videos. I was simply testing to check out my upload and download speeds, and web response.  I am paying for 20 mb.I was trying to find out if Hughesnet could accommodate us using Netflix, Hulu or sling, etc.  I have 29 days left and I have less than 56% of data left????? No wonder I am so fed up with HughesNet. My family keeps telling me to cancel and go with another service. Everyone at HughesNet has been very nice. But nice is not getting me fast internet. If this is what I have after simply going through your website in one day, there is no way I could consider using HughesNet for Hulu, Netflix and/or sling. Is this typical?  Is something obviously wrong that HughesNet should be fixing?  I didn’t mind going up in my plan if it would take care of my needs.  How do people actually use their TV for internet?

ive been doing speed tests and they wouldn’t pass my muster.  Will post them later.
WINDOWS
Usage
Service Plan Data
57%
REMAINING
8415.0 MB Used
11585.0 MB Available
Bonus Zone
98%
REMAINING
529.0 MB Used
49471.0 MB Available
Warning: You may exceed your Service Plan Data allotment for this billing cycle.
29 days remaining in your billing cycle

Please suggest possible alternatives to this waste of money!  Thanks.

GabeU

@Patticv

Chances are, one or more of your devices used the data for something without you being aware of it.  With that said, the first step is a modem isolation test, which will determine where the problem is.  

As for using HughesNet for streaming, people do, but it's an extremely data intensive activity, as in 3GB per hour for Netflix in HD, and 700MB per hour in SD.  

As for how many people use HughesNet as there sole source for TV?  Probably very few.  

Again, the first step in determining where the data is going is the modem isolation test.  If you have an HT2000W and you do not know how to disable the WiFi, which is required for the test, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  

Test instructions....

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

In additon, the following threads may help with data usage....

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Thanks for your reply and the links.  Reading it gives me a little better idea of what’s entailed. That was helpful.  But in all honesty, how does the average person deal with this stuff?  I have an idea, but I’m not sure I can follow through on each of your steps.  I had to look up half the stuff you wrote down.  I figured I would “unplug “ everything Tues. while I’m at work, but I don’t mind telling you I am not looking forward to following your list to help me figure out what’s going wrong here.  

You said you you thought most people probably don’t use Netflix, Sling, etc if they have Hughesnet... what is the answer for people like me who live in the country?  Thanks for your help and sharing your expertise.

Patti

Here are upload test results from the last 2 days.  Tonight my download speeds are better than usual, but upload continues to be low.  By testmy.net, it continually says I am at 97 to 98% below that of the world index.  I realize that is being compared mostly to bigger cities, so what should my upload numbers look like?  How do my upload numbers affect my internet performance?  And what causes low internet upload speeds?  Thanks for all your help.   And Happy New Year!

https://testmy.net/db/i95BTHnRM

These are the upload speeds with Hughes net.

Upload Result
(KBPS) Hughes Modem
12/31/2017 07:01 PM
Yes
12/31/2017 06:59 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:52 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:50 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:48 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:37 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:35 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:33 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:32 PM
Yes
12/30/2017 04:30 PM
Yes
12/29/2017 06:31 PM
Yes
12/29/2017 06:30 PM
Yes
12/29/2017 06:28 PM
Yes
12/29/2017 06:27 PM
Yes
12/29/2017 06:26 PM
Yes

GabeU

@Patticv

First, sorry for all of the reply notifications.  Anytime I make an edit to my post it sends another notification.  Again, sorry about that.  You've probably gotten three or four by now.  LOL.  

But, this post is concerning testmy.net.  If you ever look at your testmy.net results and you see test results in yellow, those aren't your results, but others on the same connection ID (HughesNet uses shared IP addresses).  If you want to get rid of the test results that aren't yours so that you only see your own, scroll all the way to the bottom of the results table and, just under it, on the left, you'll see a button that says "Exclude tests taken on your connection ID that are not logged under Patticv".  If you click this button it will get rid of all of the tests that aren't yours (the ones in yellow).  Just thought I would let you know.  Sometimes those other results being in your own can be very annoying.  When we click on your test results link we only see your tests, but you might see others, and clicking that button will get rid of them for you. 🙂 

The picture below is from my testmy.net results page, but the button for yours will be in the same place.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Patticv

Capture.JPG

GabeU

Well, when it comes to TV, I'm sure that most people that have HughesNet, or any of many other services that have a soft or hard data cap, either don't watch a lot of TV or they have satellite TV, like DirecTV or Dish.  I have the former.  With streaming using so much data and HughesNet having a soft data cap, it's just not feasable to use it for one's sole source of TV, unless they don't watch much TV, that is.    

The modem isolation test (with the picture and the numbered steps) is to determine whether there is any data being lost on HughesNet's end or whether it's being used by one or more of your devices connected to HughesNet.  Basically if they're losing the data or you're using the data.   Just make sure you don't unplug the modem itself while the test is running (its power needs to remain connected during the test).  If your devices are all disconnected from the modem (nothing connected via LAN and the WiFi disabled) and the system logs no data usage it means that one of your devices are using the data, but if the system does show data usage it means that there is a legitimate data leak somewhere.  I'll be honest, though: in the two years that I've been on this community I've never seen a legitimate example of data being lost on Hughes' end, which is why I am relatively sure something is using it on your end.  That's not to say it's never happened before, nor to say that it's not possible, but just that I've not seen it in those two years on here. And, because anything is possible, they still recommend people run the test if they're losing data, but they don't know where it's being lost or used.  It just pinpoints the direction of where to look. 

And, those threads in the links I gave are definitely a lot to read and absorb, no doubt.   And how the average person deals with it?  Somewhat painfully.  LOL.  Sorry, just a little levity, but it's definitely a pain if you're new to it.  Having to watch your data and trying to know how much each device uses, and what on that device is using it, is one of the drawbacks of a service with a data cap, or even a "soft" data cap, like HughesNet.  It can take a while get used to all of the ins and outs of watching that data and how to control it as best you can, but it can be done.  

But, if you list what devices you use with the service (not specifics, but "an iPhone, two Windows 10 laptops, a Chromebook, an Android tablet..."  Like that), we may be able to help you make adjustments on them so that they don't use any more data than necessary and also try to limit what data is automatically used.  With Windows computers, at least, there is also a program that can monitor every byte of data used on that computer.  So there are things that can be done and ways that you can see what data is being used on specific devices.  

With regard to your speed tests, do you have a device with which you can connect directly to the modem with a LAN cable?  Using that kind of device is really the way the speed tests should be run, as it eliminates the problems WiFi itself can cause when it comes to speed (the WiFi in the modem should be disabled during the speed testing (as well as the modem isolation test)).  Directly connecting with a LAN cable eliminates those possible issues.  That's not to say that WiFi is causing any problems, but it eliminates them if it is.  Also, make sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the manual 4MB test size for upload tests (I know the speed testing instructions was missing the size to use for upload tests). 

Lastly, don't let it stress you.  We're here to help with anything you need, whether it's figuring out what's using so much data or how to save data with your devices, and anything else.  Any question you have, please feel free to ask.  And always remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.  🙂    

Happy New Year!!!  🙂  🙂  🙂  

Edit:  I forgot to post your testmy.net Results URL, which will help when the reps or engineers, or even you, need to get a quick look at your test results, all in one place. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Patticv

@Patticv wrote:
How can I get someone to believe me when I say I am not getting what I am paying for.

Do a search for Federal Communications Commission complaints and fill out the form for internet complaints and let HN get back to you.

Wayne