cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very poor quality of Skype/Lync calls over HughesNet

Very poor quality of Skype/Lync calls over HughesNet

I use HughesNet for internet access and phone calls.  There are no land lines or cell phone service in my area.   HughesNet should support a Lync or Skype call, but the call quality is awful and not usable.  My company has some extensive call monitoring tools.  Here  what I experienced on Friday December 4th from 7AM to 5PM.  I would consider the VoIP packagge, but it is not available in my area.    

What can be done? 

We saw an average latency of 1101ms and 32ms of jitter.  Worst case was 1504ms latency.  I  really need sub 250ms latency and 10ms jitter to have a quality conversation
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Very poor quality of Skype/Lync calls over HughesNet

Good morning Lost In The Woods, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. What we can do is ensure that you are getting the speeds according to your plan. To start, we've run remote diagnostics on your site to determine if there was anything wrong with the HughesNet equipment and their connection to the satellite, and everything checks out OK.

So that we may get a better idea of what speeds you're getting, please connect your computer directly to the modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are appreciated and we look forward to hearing back from you.

Also, the inherent latency in satellite internet is always going to be roughly around 600-1000ms. Your data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds a delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server.

Skype should work with HughesNet systems, but there are many factors that may affect your experience, like concurrent users/devices on your network, cam/mic quality, broadcast quality, the other caller's cam/mic quality, etc. 

If you haven't already checked it out, here's a good starting point for troubleshooting Skype calls:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12097/call-quality-guide-windows-desktop

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Sorry, here's where you can run the speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi,

It's been over a week since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz