Very slow evening speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntoTheWoods
Junior

Very slow evening speeds

I have been on Gen5 since April. Most of the time until recently, download speeds have been highly satisfactory at all times of day.

For the past three evenings, my download speeds have been 2.1 to 2.50 Mbps as measured by testmy.net. Not only that, the throughput is very jerky. I am unable to stream. Amazon on Roku says that I have insufficient bandwidth for streaming. At times, the Roku says that I am not connected to the Internet. Roku sees the router just fine but says that it can't see the Internet.

I have been in FAP a couple of times in the past with speeds measuring 1.5 Mbps. I can continue to stream video while in FAP, but for the past three nights I have not been able to stream video.

The slow time begins about 5:30 p.m., troughs around 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., then returns to normal during the wee hours and daytime. My download speeds in the mornings are typically 43 to 51 Mbps.

Video saver turned off or on makes no difference. So-called "web acceleration," turned off or on, makes no difference. My satellite signal strength at the moment is 122, which is typical in good weather. I am on beam 83.

All of this sounds like there is not problem on my end but that the satellite is being crushed by evening demand for video. This is 2017, and this is a new satellite, and the service is advertised as true broadband. I simply cannot believe that HughesNet was unable to project and accommodate evening demand. I signed up for HughesNet service because of the promise that I would be able to join the rest of the civilized world in streaming video.

What's going on? Will it be fixed?

17 REPLIES 17
Liz

Good morning IntoTheWoods,

Thanks for posting and providing a detailed description of your experience. I've pulled up your account and run diagnostics on your site to check on the HughesNet equipment's ability to communicate with the satellite-- all looks OK. 

Can you please post your test results URL for your account on testmy.net? It should look like testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Were these tests run while directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I am getting the same thing... Its not you its that they oversold the service I am in Southern Oregon and last night I got a speed of 0.21. Customer service is terrible. Service is not what I am paying for. 

Customer service is terrible. 

Service techs cant undestand why I am getting over 30 speed in the morning. 

Dont understand why I am paying you anything

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Hate

This is a support site, not your personal complaint site.  Please stop spamming your complaints.  

If you would like to address your issues, please create a new topic in the appropriate section.  

Why is it always up to the User to prove to Hughesnet that their speeds and service are so bad? Can't they see the problems on their end? 

GabeU

@TomD wrote:

Why is it always up to the User to prove to Hughesnet that their speeds and service are so bad? Can't they see the problems on their end? 

Not always, no.  They can run speed tests on their end, but it only measures the speed to the modem, not one's entire system (including their WiFi and LAN connected devices).  There are a multitude of things that can cause speed issues, including things that have nothing to do with the service itself.  That there is a problem has to first be established, and the tests can help to point in the direction of the cause.  

Define 'slow'... Engineers need to know what that means. To some people on here, slow means 25Mbps (not kidding). To others it means 1Mbps.

They also need to know the nature of the slowness because not all 'slow' have the same symptoms from the same causes.

The point here is to provide metrics that would indicate what's going on, not to prove anything.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
cknelson12

We have had the same problem.  Did you ever get your issue resolved?  We called customer service who couldn't help. She said the download speed was way below what it is supposed to be.  She elevated the issue to the Engineering Department, who was supposed to call us back in 2 business days.  Five days have passed and no call.  Why do they promise to call you back and then they don't???   I don't get it.

@cknelson12

My evening speeds have been somewhat better since my original post, as low as 4Mbps or so but at times above 20Mbps. I had a message from Liz that was encouraging and that implied that HughesNet acknowledges, and is working on, capacity allocations that affect some customers. What would we do without Liz?

That said, I have a completely new problem this morning that I've not seen before in eight months as a Gen5 customer. Satellite service went out as though someone had flipped an "off" switch. The weather is clear. The dish is not obstructed. Received signal strength shows 15 (120 or so is normal). State codes are 11.2.1 (receive) and 12.2.1 (transmit). I called customer service and spoke with someone who said she was located in South Texas. After answering a bunch of questions, she told me that there was no problem on my end and that the problem was caused by fog in California. It should clear up in an hour or two, she said. I'm connecting to the Internet at the moment by tethering to my iPhone.

I suppose this means that the satellite's downlink location is fogged in. If so, I'm not the only person affected. What I find interesting, though, is that my received signal strength is 15, with a clear view of the sky on my end. Does that mean that the receive signal strength as displayed by the HT2000W control center reflects signal strength both at my site AND at the satellite downlink site, wherever they may be? Intuitively, that seems strange to me.

The signal strength you see is the signal not just from you to the satellite in space, but also the signal between you and the gateway on the other end.

Beam 083 goes to Santa Clara, CA... However the weather maps show its CLEAR there, and has been clear, no fog, it's possible there is a service outage.

It would take some ridiculously HEAVY fog high enough to cause the service to drop out like that...  The gateway dishes are very sensitive and have a very high wattage compared to our units, so they can punch through thick rain clouds more easily, though weather can impact it, I think the fog statement was probably... somewhat out there.

@C0RR0SIVE

Corrosive, thank you. My service did pop back on at full power an hour or two later, as I was told on the tech support call.

It's good to know that my beam goes to Santa Clara. I'm also surprised — and enlightened — to know that the signal strength involves both ends. That would explain an odd (but nice) fluctuation I noticed. When my dish was first installed, my signal strength peaked around 109. After about five months, suddenly the new peak is around 122. Nothing changed here.

Thanks so much for your help.

Our property is in the sierra foothills of Central California near Frenso, California.  We too continue to experience extreme slow internet speeds (100-200 kbps) during evenings, weekends, and all hours of the day and nigth during holidays.  This was obviously due to over subscribing the satellite for our area. 

However, I still went through the entire tech support trouble shooting and everything on my end was in perfect and correct working order.  I was finally routed to a "level 4" engineering tech in the USA about this problem.

I let the the level 4 engineer tech know that I know the problem is too many people subscribed to the satellite and he said "well, thank you for making my job today easy...yes, you are 100% correct...we have too many people on the satellite you are using."  He said there is obviously nothing anyone can do to fix this and gave us a $30 credit each month for the next 6 months.  The credit is fine but still doesn't fix or address the problem.

HughesNet net lied to all of us (at least in my area) about being able to have high speed internet and streaming video capabiility with this new Gen 5 satellite b.s.

The real question is when will HughesNet fix this issue by either lowering subscribers on the satellite, put up more satellite and/or open up more beams to reduce the overload, or reduce/turn off streaming video so we at least have decent internet speeds in general (and not just during weekdays during work hours when no one is on the internet).

I can smell a no brainer class a. law. Suit coming from a mile away on this one!  HughesNet, you may want to resolve this sooner than later......

Same here, i had to come to this forum to get bill credit, but so far no other info about the "fix". I think the obvious solution is to move some customers to a different beam or point them to a different satellite, but so far most of us have had no luck getting answers on here. Most of my posts have been ignored by the moderators.

GabeU

@mattyxp wrote:

He said there is obviously nothing anyone can do to fix this and gave us a $30 credit each month for the next 6 months. 

Not true.    

Hi IntoTheWoods,

Thank you for your updates and your patience while we continue to work on addressing concerns. Your beam is still currently under investigation. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns. I also noticed that @rosa1 created a thread about HughesNet voice concerns, we'll look in to that as well.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I've had another sudden drop in signal strength this morning (receive signal strength 15), and service is down. There are no weather issues here and no obstruction of the dish.

When this happened about a week ago, I called customer service and was told that there was fog in Santa Clara (which other forum users said was not true). Customer service said that service should be restored in an hour or two. And in fact service flipped back on about two hours later.

I'm not going to go through the pain of calling customer service this time — at least not unless the problem persists. But I'm posting here just so the moderators (and other customers) are aware of the trouble.

I'm tethered to my iPhone at the moment on fringe cellular service.

GabeU

@IntoTheWoods

If/when you experience this, you always have the option of checking the weather conditions in Santa Clara with your alternate ISP. 

Rleabjr

This is exactly my story too.  First few months was as advertised.  Then my speeds are measured in kbps.  Mostly in the evening but not always.  Often anytime during the weekend.  Then randomly during the week day it can jump to 14 mbps.  Never better than that. You can test once with results in kbps, them 5 minutes later 4 mbps, then 2 minutes later back to kbps.  

Called customer service.  Pushed through 2 case numbers accelerated up to higher tech support for both each time. Same promise of 48 hr call back.  3 weeks and counting with no call back.  So I just keep calling assuming they will eventually break this loop to nowhere.

For now, living without ability to download attachments.   Hopefully if I keep trying I can get a solution or explanation.  Either would be helpful.