Very slow evening speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IntoTheWoods
Junior

Very slow evening speeds

I have been on Gen5 since April. Most of the time until recently, download speeds have been highly satisfactory at all times of day.

For the past three evenings, my download speeds have been 2.1 to 2.50 Mbps as measured by testmy.net. Not only that, the throughput is very jerky. I am unable to stream. Amazon on Roku says that I have insufficient bandwidth for streaming. At times, the Roku says that I am not connected to the Internet. Roku sees the router just fine but says that it can't see the Internet.

I have been in FAP a couple of times in the past with speeds measuring 1.5 Mbps. I can continue to stream video while in FAP, but for the past three nights I have not been able to stream video.

The slow time begins about 5:30 p.m., troughs around 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., then returns to normal during the wee hours and daytime. My download speeds in the mornings are typically 43 to 51 Mbps.

Video saver turned off or on makes no difference. So-called "web acceleration," turned off or on, makes no difference. My satellite signal strength at the moment is 122, which is typical in good weather. I am on beam 83.

All of this sounds like there is not problem on my end but that the satellite is being crushed by evening demand for video. This is 2017, and this is a new satellite, and the service is advertised as true broadband. I simply cannot believe that HughesNet was unable to project and accommodate evening demand. I signed up for HughesNet service because of the promise that I would be able to join the rest of the civilized world in streaming video.

What's going on? Will it be fixed?

17 REPLIES 17