Very slow internet speeds and HughesNet over selling their abilities

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickB
Freshman

Very slow internet speeds and HughesNet over selling their abilities

I have been a customer for about 3 weeks now, my internet speeds are eratic at best.  At times I run 25 BPS and most of the time I run between 1 BPS and 3 BPS. It will be interesting when I reach my data limits, how can you slow me down to 3 BPS when I;m already there.  I have run 82 speed test using HughesNet software and I'm getting the same story of escalating to teir 4 support in 3 to 5 business days.  Nothing gets fixed, my next stop is the State to have him pull HughesNet advertising off TV and all mailings until they provide the service they advertise.  Anyone else out there way to join this effort?

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

If you would like to utilize this support community for your speed issues, please see the following...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please refrain from violating Community Guidelines and/or TOS by soliciting others for legal action.  

jlm66281

I'm going to try to be brief. Ditto Rick, my system is running extremely slow at best. The difference between me and Rick is I'm not a new customer. I have been a patient customer for over a year. Hughes has always been slow and unacceptable. I have called, chatted, self test, Dell has tested, Dish has tested, microsoft has tested, netflix has tested, and on, on, on, on, and on. Every test has 1 common theme: the problem is Hughesnet. Hughes will say its because I have used all my GB in this billing cycle. I know this because Hughes always says that. The problem is I can have 20 GB, 30 GB, 10 GB, 15 GB, 5 GB remaining in my billing cycle and it still does the samething. The only consistency, I mean the only consistency, is two-fold: (1) the speed is slow and it's always slow. GEN 2, GEN 4, GEN 5 does not matter. There is no high speed internet and there has never been any high speed internet in this house!!!!! (2) I run out of GB in my billing cycle on the same day of every month. 21st of every month. On 20th I have a few left, on 21st gone. There is a lovely message telling me how many days left in cycle, stress speed will be effected by 1-3 bps until the beginning of next cycle. I think no problem. 25 bps - 3 bps = 22 bps. I could deal with this. But no, its really a total of 1-3 bps operating. Why? HN does this intentionally so we (aka customer) can buy more tokens or increase our GB plan. I had 20 GB and I still ran out on the 21st. So I changed to see if all these other service providers testing was correct. I dropped my GB to 10 GB per month. Guess what? I ran out on 21st of month. There was no change from 10 - 20 GB. Every month ran out same day of billing cycle. And the speed was slow and it didn't matter if it was at the beginning, middle, or the end of cycle. We havde never even been close to 25 bps??? In over a year.

I'm done. I believe HN is intentionally drawning GB's and slowing system so I'll purchase more. **bleep**     

maratsade

" Why? HN does this intentionally so we (aka customer) can buy more tokens or increase our GB plan."

No, they don't.  You're being paranoid and this doesn't help anyone, least of all, you.  But if this is how you feel and you are unwilling to work to fix your issues (and stay within the limitations inherent to satellite internet), then you can cancel your account -- no one is forcing you to have satellite internet.  

GabeU

@jlm66281

If you would like to have your speed issue addressed, please create a new topic in tech support and perform the speed tests as laid out in my reply to the OP, then post your results URL.  

If you are running out of data on the 21st day of of every data cycle, it's possible that, for some reason, the system is putting your system into a relaxed bandwidth state for the first twenty days of every cycle.  Relaxed bandwidth meaning your data is constantly refilled during those first twenty days of the cycle.  This is ONLY supposed to happen for the first twenty days of your service, NOT the first twenty days of every data cycle.  If this is what's happening, this would actually be to your benefit, but it's still a mistake and shouldn't be happening.  And, if this is what's actually happening, this means that you're actually exhausting your entire month's worth of data in a single day, which is day 21.  And, if that's the case, you've got a major data leak somewhere.  To get help with this issue, please start a new topic in tech support, as mentioned for your speed issue.  

Gabe Professor, I have run 82 speed test using your, HughesNet software.  I have had a direct connection to your modem each time.  Your technitions have access to that account and your teir 4 team who worked this once has access to all that data.  I am not technically capable of trying to do all the things you asked,  I have called your service group at least 10 times, they at teir 1 have told me it is a capacity problem.  I am willing to work with HughesNet to the best of my capability, however disabling modems which I may not be able to re-enable is not something I plan to do.  Get serious about fixing this and quit throwing the ball back to me. I pay you for a service you are not delivering.  The ball is in your "court". 

I just ran one of the 25mb manual download test and it was 1.2 mbs.  I did not set up an account, that was using my data at my expense and your speed was crappy! 

I just ran one of the 25mb manual download test and it was 1.2 mbs.  I did not set up an account, that was using my data at my expense and your speed was crappy! 

@RickB

No need to get angry with @GabeU. He doesn't work for Hughes. He's a customer.

The Hughes employees have 'admin' after their name. Those with 'Professor' or 'Instructor' or the like are just other customers that are familiar with the processes and procedures and are trying to be helpful, so all this 'your' angst is misplaced.

Edit: Please understand that Hughes speed test has been erratic in the past. TestMy was chosen as an unofficial standard because it tends to provide much more consistent and accurate. If you're able to open a website, you're technically capable of going to testmy.com and running tests there.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amanda

Hello Rick,

Welcome to our community! I'm a corporate employee and moderator for this forum. I've located your account and reviewed the case notes, which offer some background on the speeds you have experienced previously as well as some testing done by our agents.

With regards to your actual installation, it appears that everything was setup and installed very well, so I believe we can rule out an equipment problem for now. I do see some packet loss on actual satellite link, but I will need to monitor this to be sure if it is attributing to the speeds you are seeing. Additionally, I'll follow up with our engineers to find out if there is any planned maintenance for your beam.

I will be able to get a better reading over time, so I'll keep an eye on it. In the meantime, can you provide me some more information about your home network and internet usage? It would be helpful to know what devices you have in your home, how they are connected and what you generally use the internet for (web browsing, email, streaming, etc)

Thank you,

Amanda