Hughesnet Community

Very slow speed after 7:30pm EST.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burkyusa

Very slow speed after 7:30pm EST.

Very slow speed after 7:30pm EST.  I go along fine all day and then around 7:30-8pm my speed drops so bad that I can not stream a movie at 320 or 720k.  Anyone else seeing this also?

3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Speeds may drop during prime time when congestion and latency combine to lower the experience for everyone or most everyone. 

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

burkyusa wrote:

Very slow speed after 7:30pm EST.  I go along fine all day and then around 7:30-8pm my speed drops so bad that I can not stream a movie at 320 or 720k.  Anyone else seeing this also?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@burkyusa 

Unfortunately, the system is under incredible strain right now due to so many people being home because of the pandemic.  System load is much higher than it normally would be.  This is especially so in the evenings, when online activity is at its highest, which causes the congestion maratsade spoke of.  Ironically, what's causing most of the problems with streaming is so many people trying to stream.  It's resulting in a digital traffic jam, so to speak.

A couple of things you can try are lowering the resolution of the stream, whether through the app you're using or at the source (the website), and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  How much effect these two things will have, however, can vary.  This is especially the case with the latter, which may make no difference at all.

Still, please definitely perform the speed tests maratsade instructed, as the results of such can help to determine the cause of the problem, as in whether it's due to an overall speed issue or the evening congestion mentioned above, or even both, and whether anything may be able to be done about it.

Liz

Good morning burkyusa, 

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!