cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow speeds

Csturm123
Freshman

Very slow speeds

I've been a customer for two days now and I have yet to actually watch anything on Netflix or Prime. Roku reads that the speed of 0 Mbps. Also tried using eithernet cable direct and computer. Speed too slow to watch anything. Did all the self tests and they say everything's perfect. Bottom four lights on the modem constantly blink (not sure if that means anything). I did get to watch half an episode of House the day it was installed...then prime said connection too slow. So just wondering how this issue can be resolved.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Very slow speeds

The blinking is normal, means the system is in use. Congestion and latency are to be expected and they will affect streaming. 

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Csturm123
Freshman

It's expected? If a company sells a product, I expect it to perform as advertised. Also I work and don't have time to spend analyzing the providers equipment or programming for problems I haven't caused. If I buy a tractor and it doesn't work as advertised, I don't tinker with it, I bring it back.
maratsade

Yes, both congestion and latency are expected in satellite internet technology. As for tractors, issues can be expected too, such as rust, tyre punctures, etc.

You may want to read the legally binding subscriber agreement, which describes the limitations of the service and provides other useful information.

Csturm123
Freshman

Happy to know you have an answer for everything. Nothing helpful though. Keep on keeping on tho.
maratsade

"you have an answer for everything"

Oh, I wish.  Would come in handy with the lottery.

Michael57
Senior

@Csturm123 I'd say that latency is to be expected, but IMO you have a resonable expectation that congestion should be managed and/or accounted for in the communication.

That aside, if you are having speed issues I highly recommend that you follow the instructions for posting speed tests: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

This will allow the official support to determine if you are having some hardware or other issues that can be adjusted to improve your performance.