Hughesnet Community

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthill3
New Poster

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Case ID  is 102292232.

I signed up with HughesNet in July 2017 for internet service in my home in the
country. We had heard bad things about them but since they are the only provider
in this area, we signed up with them anyway.

The plan I am on is the most
expensive ($150/month including taxes and fees) and is sold as a 70GB data plan. That actually is 20 GB of Anytime data and 50GB Bonus data between the hours of 2:00am and 8:00am.

This was my fault for not reading the fine print but how in the world would I use the Bonus data? I am 62 years old and my wife works so it is extremely rare if either of us are awake during those hours.

My actual complaint is that the plan I am on offers 15MBPS download data speed but we rarely see that speed (and this is since July 2017 when we joined Hughesnet). The system is down quite a bit and when it is up it is as slow as "Molasses in Christmas" slow.

! I have measured if as low as 1.12 MBPS download speed and less than 1 MBPS upload speed. It is consistently below 5 MBPS download speed since I joined Hughsnet.

The seller of this plan told us my wife would be able to work from home with no problem. I had explained that she does much Video Conferencing and sends/receive large files. He assured me there would be no problem.

I explained to the seller that I am disabled and a very heavy Internet user (streaming movies/sports, etc). He assured me there would be no problem.

None of the above two items are true. The data rate is so slow and so unreliable that my wife cannot work from home as told. So she has to drive 1.5 hours into Atlanta in the mornings to get to work. One of the reasons we moved here was that we were sure we would be having a good internet service.

The data plan of 20GB Anytime data is eaten up with a few movies and football games but even then the stream staggers and stops due to the poor data speeds.

I have tried to use their Customer Support but (with no disrespect meant) I can not understand the Help Rep on the phone as their English is so broken and their accents are so thick. Having said that, one lady did try to help and we did talk on the phone on two consecutive days. Then no more calls. No more help.

I tried emailing to the Support Center but their email system was down. On Hughsnet Facebook page, they gave me a link and told me to register my issues there. I tried that and it was also down. (It was down the first time I tried but now I got in.)

Hughesnet has given me some credit ($20/month credit so I could buy more Anytime data Tokens and a month credit on my bill. But this system is so unreliable these credits do not fix any problems. So, in closing, besides the issues mentioned describing the poor service, I feel lied to and sold down the river by Hughsnet.

I would never recommend this service to anyone for any reason.
127 REPLIES 127
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should do Testmy.net tests as explained here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx?_ga=1.19513272.1637919355.1393790956

Be sure to create an account and stay signed in while running tests. Then anyone can see your results like this including HugheNet.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe

Step 9 in first link: (click pic to enlarge)

jthill3
New Poster

I will have to start again tomorrow. You should call it a day. Thank you very much.
jthill3
New Poster

P.S I plan on doing for tests at 4 different times of the day for 3 days
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Just make sure when you run the tests you run at least three in a row, but spacing them five minutes apart from each other.  Make sure to be signed in, connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable (NO ROUTER), and make sure to use the manual 12MB size for download tests.  

jthill3
New Poster

Got it
jthill3
New Poster

here is my first test today that just finished.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/jthill3

ran 5 tests at 12MB every five minutes.

My wife tried to work from home  on last Saturday at 6:30 am EST and what should have taken one hour took 2 1/2 hours......
jthill3
New Poster

jthill3
New Poster

used 12mb file up and Down....5 tests - 5 minute space between tests. laptop direct wired to modem...will be doing 3 more by midnight
jthill3
New Poster

Here is the test results from 2:00 pm est

jthill3
New Poster

here are the results from 7:30pm est

GabeU

jthill3,

Something's not right, as it's showing any of the tests that you ran with the 12MB download test size.  It's only showing one upload and download test from the 7th and one upload and download test from the 6th, and none of those with the proper sizes.  Are you absolutely sure that you were signed in when you ran those five tests?  

BTW, if you also run upload tests, you should use the 2MB size for those.  12MB for download tests and 2MB size for upload tests.  

They normally don't request that upload tests be done due to the download speed being the much more important of the two, and the download test normally gives enough info.  But, if you do want to do the upload tests, again, make sure to use the 2MB size for those.  

Also, something VERY important, at the bottom left of the page you'll see a box that says "Exclude tests taken on your connection ID that are not logged under jthill3".  Click on that box.  This will exclude all of the tests that are showing in your results that aren't yours.  All of the ones that are showing in yellow aren't yours, and it appears, from the picture above, that you may have a lot of them, as it shows that you have performed 183 tests, whereas when ONLY looking at your specific tests, it's only showing that 14 have been performed.  

The first is a pic (click on it and it expands) of the box you need to click on, but this is from my page.  If it says "Exclude tests taken....." click it, if it says "Include tests", don't click it as it's already set right.  You ONLY want to see tests under YOUR ID.  

The second pic (again, click on it and it expands) is what I see when I look at your results.  I don't see any of the recent 12MB tests you took.  

GabeU

jthill, 

When you take a snapshot, take a snapshot of the actual tests, not the graph.  The tests are below the graph.  

But, again, there is a problem.  Read through my post.  Something is very wrong.  It's not showing any of your recent tests.  My second pic is what shows as your tests performed.  Are you sure you are signed in when taking them?  Make sure to click that box to get rid of all test results that are not yours.   
jthill3
New Poster

Yes I was siged in. The only place that I could find to be able to specify the 12MB data file was on the Combined test that does both download and upload. It was set for 5 tests spaced 5 minutes part.

I wonder if it is just showing one test result that is the average of the 5 tests executed. 

It is 8:05 here and I will go down and start another test with a smaller upload file.
GabeU

Try running a manual 12MB download test and a manual 2MB upload test.  Do it without using the combined test.  I just want to see if they show up when you run them manually.  

When you go to the site, click on "Download Test" and select the manual 12MB test size.  Then do the same with the upload test using the 2MB size.  

Also, can you take a pic of some of the results in the table and post that?  Not the graph, but the tests in the table below.  We have to figure out why they are not showing up in your results.  
jthill3
New Poster

download only test - http://testmy.net/db/PqT6sHkYA could not figure out how to make it use 12MB test file
jthill3
New Poster

here are the tests I ran earlier using the Automatic Combined Testlier iu
jthill3
New Poster

those the tests that I ran when I was signed in during the day - don't know why it will not show my user ID - but these are the tests I ran
GabeU

Okay.  The first thing you HAVE GOT TO DO is click on that box like I showed in the instructions above.  Your list is filled with tests that are not yours.  

Secondly, as you can see, none of the automated tests you ran are there.  You have four tests showing from today, and two of them are ones that you just did.  And for some reason, they still are not in the correct size.  

But, again, click that box like I showed to get rid of those tests that aren't yours.  
jthill3
New Poster

Here is upload test - http://testmy.net/results
jthill3
New Poster

could not find the EXCLUDE box
GabeU

In the pic above, only the top test was done while signed in.