cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

If download speeds vary a lot during any time of day, from one minute to the next, then your results would be the outcome.  I agree, not happy.

I wonder if there is a download manager that would buffer these better?  I hope the experts will weigh in?

Do you have ping results?

New Poster

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

I'm going to bed but please leave comments if you can help figure this out. I will leave the PC logged into MYTEST - Adios
Highlighted
New Poster

William - I do not have PING data unless someone knows how to get them out of MYTEST web site.....sorry

Other Speed Test clients provide this.

Try http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop_new/speed.asp

If your Ping results are worse than 750ms, then this is abnormal.

New Poster

Higher or lower than 750? I am not technical at all and do not understand the lingo but......I can check numbers,,,,,,,,,
New Poster

Just got a ping number of 887 on Speedtest.net

A bit high, but OK

The larger number indicates a longer time to respond to the request for data.  A good cable or DSL number is around 10 to 50 milliseconds, while 750 millisecond (typical of satellite, and a natural result of physics) is almost 1 second to respond.
The problem occurs in certain kinds of communications that have a lot of "back and forths" which really pile on the seconds of delay.  Email is one of those.  Banking is another.  Fast gaming is impossible.

But downloads of movies should not.

In the Hughes speed tests, they have something called Internet Response which measures this.  Should be around 1 second or less.  I had initially much worse results.

Assistant Professor

What? I'm lost. Who's on first?