Hughesnet Community

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthill3
New Poster

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Case ID  is 102292232.

I signed up with HughesNet in July 2017 for internet service in my home in the
country. We had heard bad things about them but since they are the only provider
in this area, we signed up with them anyway.

The plan I am on is the most
expensive ($150/month including taxes and fees) and is sold as a 70GB data plan. That actually is 20 GB of Anytime data and 50GB Bonus data between the hours of 2:00am and 8:00am.

This was my fault for not reading the fine print but how in the world would I use the Bonus data? I am 62 years old and my wife works so it is extremely rare if either of us are awake during those hours.

My actual complaint is that the plan I am on offers 15MBPS download data speed but we rarely see that speed (and this is since July 2017 when we joined Hughesnet). The system is down quite a bit and when it is up it is as slow as "Molasses in Christmas" slow.

! I have measured if as low as 1.12 MBPS download speed and less than 1 MBPS upload speed. It is consistently below 5 MBPS download speed since I joined Hughsnet.

The seller of this plan told us my wife would be able to work from home with no problem. I had explained that she does much Video Conferencing and sends/receive large files. He assured me there would be no problem.

I explained to the seller that I am disabled and a very heavy Internet user (streaming movies/sports, etc). He assured me there would be no problem.

None of the above two items are true. The data rate is so slow and so unreliable that my wife cannot work from home as told. So she has to drive 1.5 hours into Atlanta in the mornings to get to work. One of the reasons we moved here was that we were sure we would be having a good internet service.

The data plan of 20GB Anytime data is eaten up with a few movies and football games but even then the stream staggers and stops due to the poor data speeds.

I have tried to use their Customer Support but (with no disrespect meant) I can not understand the Help Rep on the phone as their English is so broken and their accents are so thick. Having said that, one lady did try to help and we did talk on the phone on two consecutive days. Then no more calls. No more help.

I tried emailing to the Support Center but their email system was down. On Hughsnet Facebook page, they gave me a link and told me to register my issues there. I tried that and it was also down. (It was down the first time I tried but now I got in.)

Hughesnet has given me some credit ($20/month credit so I could buy more Anytime data Tokens and a month credit on my bill. But this system is so unreliable these credits do not fix any problems. So, in closing, besides the issues mentioned describing the poor service, I feel lied to and sold down the river by Hughsnet.

I would never recommend this service to anyone for any reason.
127 REPLIES 127
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

They may very well be some of yours, but the problem is the ones in yellow aren't listed under your name when anyone else looks at your results.  Only YOU can see the yellow ones.  When anyone else looks at your speed tests under your test results URL, only the ones that you did when you were signed in show, so those are they only ones they are going to go by.  That's why it's so important to be signed in when you do them.  

jthill3
New Poster

ok
GabeU

Getting rid of the yellow ones is for your benefit, as like I said, no one else can see them when they look at your results URL.  The only way we see the yellow ones is when you take a snapshot and post it when you haven't excluded them.  

And I'm sure at least some of those yellow ones probably aren't yours, and they will skew your average and graph at top of the page when you look at it.  

jthill3
New Poster

ok - I'll run more test tomorrow and be more careful
jthill3
New Poster

Well - I couldn't go to sleep so I ran 3 tests (while I was logged in) 3 Download tests followed by an upload test

jthill3
New Poster

OK - Here are two images to show all of the test I ran on FEB10 at 4 different times 7:00am, 12:00pm, 4:00pm, and 8:00pm.

I absolutely was logged in for each of these tests.

Seems info I see on other boards lead me to think that my situation is being experienced by numerous folks and that it may be due to the new satelite launch project. If my condition IS a temporary situation that will be rectified after April 1st then I could back off on testing until the new launch. THAT I can understand.

Seems though even when my download speed is in the 20's even short videos stop and start (NFL, Youtube, Facebook).

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=50&q=jthill3

Let me know your thoughts.
GabeU

Yep, there's a lot of em.  

Actually, it appears that there may have been a problem with the system before because I'm seeing a lot of tests from the 8th that weren't showing up the other day when we were talking on here.  You've got a slew from the 8th, seven from the 9th, and another slew from the 10th.  So those ones that weren't showing up from the 8th before, where you were sure you did them while signed in, are showing up now.  This is the first time I've seen that happen.  They should have shown there the other day.  Odd.  Evidently testmy.net was having some type of reporting glitch.  At least it's showing them now.   

It looks like your speeds kicked up a bit during the evening on the 10th.  I wonder if they did something to the system to help with your speeds.  Granted, they still aren't as good as what you are getting during the middle of the day, but they were definitely better than the were the previous evenings.    

Being that you've got quite a lot of them now, and they are from five days in a row, I wouldn't bother running any more tests unless they tell you to, but you won't hear anything from them until at least Monday due to them being off during the weekend.

Good luck.    

jthill3
New Poster

Cool - sounds like you and I have taken things as far as we can - so - how will Hughesnet know to reach out to me with all the data I have collected?Do they monitor our thread? Do I need to open another ticket? Do I need to call somebody? - thanks
GabeU

They monitor the threads.  If they don't respond to you within a few days (starting Monday), though, I would probably start another thread, just in case this thread sort of fell off the radar due to it having been a while since initially creating it and there having been a couple of weeks without any activity before starting the process to address speed issues.  But, hopefully they will see it and respond.    

jthill3
New Poster

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled PART 2 - Case ID is 102292232.

I have had slow data speeds and even when speed tests show a download speed of 20Mbps or more even short videos stop and start. 

There is lots more info available on the original thread titled "Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me".

It was suggested I open s new thread now that there is a load of test results at http://testmy.net/compID/618555702648.

This was said to have been escalated to Executive Customer Care but no update or progress has been shared with me.
Amanda

Hi jthill3,

Allow me a day or two to find out what work our engineers might be doing on your beam. If I already have info for your beam, I'll let you know by the end of the day. I appreciate you doing all the needed speed tests as this is helpful in case I need to send your case to engineering.

Thank you,
Amanda
jthill3
New Poster

Thanks Amanda - I wanted to also mention that my wife tried to do some work from home last Sat at 6:30am (a non-peak time of day) and it took her 2.5 hours to do 1 hour's work. So in my mind the speed tests don't tell the whole story,

Also I have been soundly educated on the Community Board about streaming so I am now only concerned about  getting the level of service up to the point that my wife could work from home a few days a week.
bstohrer

I was made nearly the same promises in my call and have not even been able to watch a netflix movie in low def once:( That was the big selling point in my call that my rep promised me.  The truth goes a long way in sales and in the end that is what it comes down to...
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

bstohrer, you really should be able to stream Netflix in low definition unless you have gone over allowance or have some other problem going on. It can take a bit for the video to start.

You set definition to low in your account as explained here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87 ?

If wanting more direct help it would be good to start a new post (topic) of your own.
jthill3
New Poster

Hey Amanda - I think we should call the dogs off and stop working on my speed problems at the house and, since there is no other ISP in my area other that Hughesnet, I would like to get upgrading on April 1 with the new modem and get on the new satelitte. I have heard really good things about this new service so instead of the back and forth trying to figure out what is wrong with my existing service, I would prefer this upgrade path.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tommy
jthill3
New Poster

Hey Amanda - I think we should call the dogs off and stop working on my speed problems at the house and, since there is no other ISP in my area other that Hughesnet, I would like to get upgrading on April 1 with the new modem and get on the new satelitte. I have heard really good things about this new service so instead of the back and forth trying to figure out what is wrong with my existing service, I would prefer this upgrade path.

Thanks,

Tommy
jthill3
New Poster

Thanks,

Tommy
Amanda

Hi there Tommy

That is a sure thing. I know the speed problem is frustrating, but can assure you this will definitely improve with the new service launch. I can get you upgraded shortly after it is out and sweeten the deal a bit for your troubles.

Thanks
Amanda
jthill3
New Poster

Thanks Amanda.
jthill3
New Poster

Hey Amanda 

When the time comes for my upgrade to the new equipment and plan, I would like to use this local Hughesnet Service Rep.

Kirks The TV Guy  - 404-396-8998    404-935-6171
693 Goza Rd
Fayetteville, GA 30215

He is a certified Hughesnet reseller/installer (that I didn't know) but I have used him on several TV and antenna projects in the past for both my old house and our new house and I trust him very much.

Thanks for your help.

Tommy Hill
Amanda

Hi Tommy

When the time comes to create your upgrade order I will send this to my associate in installations here in the corporate office to have him ensure this is the assigned installer. Thanks for letting me know 🙂

Amanda