cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

In respect to price and performance you simply can not compare a satellite connection to any ground based service.

The cost basis is entirely different as well as the fact that there are capacity limits to a machine in orbit.

Dollar-wise terrestrial based systems in your local have already made their decision to not serve your area despite a much lower infrastructure cost plus the ability to use that infrastructure decade after decade.

As a comparison consider that Echostar17 is said to have had a price tag of about $500 million dollars plus launch and insurance costs. To that add the costs of building and maintaining the 17 Gateway facilities and 2 NOC's.

Add to that, that the satellite has a mission life of about 15 years and then requires replacement.

There is no way to repeal the speed of light (read latency here) and there is no way to expand or repair a satellite once it is designed, built and placed into orbit 22,300 miles up.

They can add another satellite ... and they just did on December 18th. It is still undergoing testing.

This isn't Cable, FIOS, DSL or a WISP or cellular connection and it can't be made to perform like them.

There are a lot of things that can done to improve performance on your end such as ad and video auto-start and video pre-fetch blocking.

Being mindful of the number of concurrent connections that are established within your network can make a difference.

As to the "system being down" have you looked at the modems internal SCC (System Control Center) at 192.168.0.1 to see if you have any current "conditions" or errors?

(Click on pictures for larger images)

Sometimes the answer is as simple as toggling Web Acceleration or doing an MBX Reset:

If you have another option, take it.

If not, learn the products strengths and weaknesses and how to get the most from it.

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Hello jthill3,

Thank you for waiting. I was able to review your sales call where the plan offering was pitched and some promises were made. After hearing what you would be doing with the service, I believe our sales representative set a false expectation of the services we provide. Additionally the agent provided some information that is no longer part of our business model. We will have the sales representative coached and ensure that he is aware of our current offerings, as well as making sure that he understands what our services can and cannot do. Previous calls for this agent will also be reviewed to see if there were any related offenses.

With that said, I would like to extend the offer to you to cancel your services with no early termination fee because I believe we do not have a service plan that would meet your data usage needs. Please let me know if you would like to cancel your services and I can provide you more information.

Thanks,
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

jezra,

Agreed, however off the top of my head I can think of 10 reasons for poor performance, 8 of those would be due to subscriber controlled items.

As always proper troubleshooting is required.

Distinguished Professor IV

Is this one of those future type messages (signing up in July 2017) that we'll all look back on in August and say, "How did so and so know?"  

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  :-)

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Great so now it is my fault? I am not a computer guy - how am I supposed to figure it out? It was a Hughesnet installer who put this in. So, send them back out here and figure out why my speeds are so slow.
New Poster

I will take up up on your offer as soon as I can find another provider but not until then.

For the money I am paying, I should not HAVE TO MANAGE my data.
Well, actually, yes, you should have to, just like any other person on the face of the earth that has an ISP with a data cap.  Hughesnet sells you the data, but they don't control how you, or your devices, use that data.  That's YOUR responsibility.  

With that said, there are many things that can be done to reduce data usage, with the biggest one being cutting down on the streaming, and when you do stream, do it in SD or LD, NOT HD, as HD can use up to 3GB per hour.  

There are other things you can do, as well.  Do you use a Mac or a PC?  If a PC, what operating system (version of Windows)?  What devices, besides a Mac or PC, do you have connected to the service?  Do you have a DirecTV receiver connected (a really bad idea)?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

For the money I am paying, I should not HAVE TO MANAGE my data.
Well, actually, yes, you should have to, just like any other person on the face of the earth that has an ISP with a data cap.  Hughesnet sells you the data, but they don't control how you, or your devices, use that data.  That's YOUR responsibility.  

With that said, there are many things that can be done to reduce data usage, with the biggest one being cutting down on the streaming, and when you do stream, do it in SD or LD, NOT HD, as HD can use up to 3GB per hour.  

There are other things you can do, as well.  Do you use a Mac or a PC?  If a PC, what operating system (version of Windows)?  What devices, besides a Mac or PC, do you have connected to the service?  Do you have a DirecTV receiver connected (a really bad idea)?  

Ugh.  Double posts.  

New Poster

Jesus - folks - do you think I have not tried everything that I know how to do - called everyone who could help but they didn't - emailed everywhere I could to get help?

Because I am not a Computer guy does not make me stupid.

I am all for trouble shooting but someone else has to lead that knows what to do and what we are looking at.

I don't know MBPS from a lug nut. I am doing good to run the Speed Test.

I would prefer that unless someone can tell me what to actually do and guide me through this to test and resolve my data speeds, please stay off this thread.

So far I have been told to trouble shoot it. OK how?, trouble shoot what?

I have been told to cancel my subscription.

I have been told to learn the product and deal with it.

No one has offered to guide this non-tech, non-computer guy through what can be done.

Hughesnet and the Champions need to understand there is a world of us "everyday Joe, non-tech users" trying to use this product and I am the poster child for that group.