cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

BEST I COULD DO WAS “PC ON MY LOCAL NETWORK AND PC FROM INTERNET

It won't let you turn it off?  This is a big problem.  I haven't found why you wouldn't be able to disable this (turn it off), or at least change it to PCs on my local network. 

The option it's currently on allows YOUR computer to be used by computers on the internet to update their files.  This means that your data can be used to updates other peoples' computers.  This is REALLY bad. 

I hope you can find a way to at least change it to PCs on my local network.  At least that way it would only be YOUR computers.  Otherwise your data could be consumed very quickly.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Re: Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Found it and was able to change it to PC ON MY LOCAL NETWORK.....
thanks
New Poster

Also made Glasswire setting changes suggested - have to look at Modem and Router tomorrow.....been tired all day...sorry

That's great, and thank goodness!  That could have been a real data chewer.  Hopefully what you've now done, and had already done, will help to save some data, and possibly even a considerable amount. 

Glasswire will monitor the data now and you should be able to look at it within a few days and see if anything is looking like it's a high data user, and whether what is can be changed or just not used. 

Again, I'm not very familiar with Apple products, but I hope that when your iPad is off it is truly off and not downloading updates or connecting to the iCloud.  I have no clue as to whether someone has to set up the iCloud or if it is automatically on from the outset.  Time will tell.  At least with Glasswire being on the computer(s) you will be able to tell, by process of elimination, what is using an excessive amount of data if something does and it's not the computers. 

If you still end up seeing high data usage, most definitely say so, we will try to figure out what's going on. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I had to look below to see what changes to Glasswire you were referring to.  Those are good ideas. 

Have a good evening and get some rest. 

New Poster

Here are my data speeds from today 

I tracked the data speeds today and wanted to report them.
Using two devices a laptop and a desktop - neither connected to the modem   and using only WiFi. The laptop is closest to the modem/router.         Data speeds recorded in Mbps.         Times are EST.        January 27th, 2017        Time     Download   Upload   Server location     Device    8:50am     22.44      4.52      Dallas           laptop                12.10      1.22      Chicago          desktop     10:40am    25.16      1.31      Chicago          laptop             10.39      1.41      Dallas           desktop        1:34pm     25.27      1.31      Chicago          laptop                12.99       .68      Chicago          desktop        6:36pm      9.82       .51      Virginia         laptop                 10.48       .42      Dallas           desktop        9:41pm       .84       .29      Virginia         laptop                 .80       .19      Chicago          desktop   

To address the speed issues, the reps are going to need some tests, but they need to be done following a certain protocol.  The following is a copy/paste from another post, but it's what needs to be done...

To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:
http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem (no router)
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like  http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

You only need to do download tests right now, not upload tests, as they normally go hand in hand, anyway, so use the manual 12MB download test size for the tests.  

New Poster

GabeU - been out a while but back up on my feet.....before I was interrupted I found out this info on my hardware 

Router - D-link - DIR-619L-ES HW VER - B3 FW VER 2.04

MODEM - HT1100

Those us us that sign up fro Hughesnet for the first time, and who never have heard about the diferences between this service and ATT&T or Xfinity services, are naturally shocked when the reality hits. As we have discussed and Hughenet acknowledged, the sales rep representing Hughesnet was "a little less than honest" about what I would be getting.

I have been "educated" as to the Data Limits with my subscription and now I am only praying to fix the speed issue so my wife can work from home a few days a week.

...and I have asked for help from Hughesnet several times regarding the speed issues and the last they told me (3 or 4 weeks ago) was that this has been escalated to some Techie Group. I have not heard anything since - and I've been down a while so I didn't follow up either. I also sent them several days of Speed Tests as suggested but the formatting was terrible when entered into their system so I am not sure if they even looked at it - but they did not ask me any questons either.

I understand now that with the new Satellite, I should be using difference hardware. Do you have any details?

All I know is that the new satellite will require a new modem.  I think, but I'm not positive, that those that currently have the HT1000 and HT1100 modems won't need to upgrade their dishes, as the new satellite and modem will utilize the same dish.  Again, though, that part I'm not 100% on, but I'm 99.99% sure it will require the aforementioned new modem.   

Other than that I know about as much as you do.  I don't know anything about what kinds of plans they will offer, nor what their speeds will be.  

Regarding  your speed, was it a rep on the phone who said they were escalating your issue, or someone on here in a private thread?  

I know on the other thread you provided some results, but they weren't done with the protocols they need.  I spelled out those requirements toward the end of the thread if you want to do them and continue trying to resolve the issue on the other thread, or in a new one you create.  If you do create a new one regarding the speed issue, it would be best to include some of those speed tests done in the necessary way.  

BTW, I have the exact same router (DIR-619L) and it works well. 

After referencing the old/other thread, I realized THIS IS the old/other thread.  Sorry, I'm getting tired.  It's been a long day.