Hughesnet Community

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthill3
New Poster

Very very poor data speeds since July when I joined. The seller rep lied to me.

Case ID  is 102292232.

I signed up with HughesNet in July 2017 for internet service in my home in the
country. We had heard bad things about them but since they are the only provider
in this area, we signed up with them anyway.

The plan I am on is the most
expensive ($150/month including taxes and fees) and is sold as a 70GB data plan. That actually is 20 GB of Anytime data and 50GB Bonus data between the hours of 2:00am and 8:00am.

This was my fault for not reading the fine print but how in the world would I use the Bonus data? I am 62 years old and my wife works so it is extremely rare if either of us are awake during those hours.

My actual complaint is that the plan I am on offers 15MBPS download data speed but we rarely see that speed (and this is since July 2017 when we joined Hughesnet). The system is down quite a bit and when it is up it is as slow as "Molasses in Christmas" slow.

! I have measured if as low as 1.12 MBPS download speed and less than 1 MBPS upload speed. It is consistently below 5 MBPS download speed since I joined Hughsnet.

The seller of this plan told us my wife would be able to work from home with no problem. I had explained that she does much Video Conferencing and sends/receive large files. He assured me there would be no problem.

I explained to the seller that I am disabled and a very heavy Internet user (streaming movies/sports, etc). He assured me there would be no problem.

None of the above two items are true. The data rate is so slow and so unreliable that my wife cannot work from home as told. So she has to drive 1.5 hours into Atlanta in the mornings to get to work. One of the reasons we moved here was that we were sure we would be having a good internet service.

The data plan of 20GB Anytime data is eaten up with a few movies and football games but even then the stream staggers and stops due to the poor data speeds.

I have tried to use their Customer Support but (with no disrespect meant) I can not understand the Help Rep on the phone as their English is so broken and their accents are so thick. Having said that, one lady did try to help and we did talk on the phone on two consecutive days. Then no more calls. No more help.

I tried emailing to the Support Center but their email system was down. On Hughsnet Facebook page, they gave me a link and told me to register my issues there. I tried that and it was also down. (It was down the first time I tried but now I got in.)

Hughesnet has given me some credit ($20/month credit so I could buy more Anytime data Tokens and a month credit on my bill. But this system is so unreliable these credits do not fix any problems. So, in closing, besides the issues mentioned describing the poor service, I feel lied to and sold down the river by Hughsnet.

I would never recommend this service to anyone for any reason.
127 REPLIES 127