Video Data Saver Button DISAPPEARED

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LandonW1989
New Poster

Video Data Saver Button DISAPPEARED

Brand new Hughesnet customer here. I have had it exactly 1 month and 1 day.

First 20 days were glorious. No data was being recorded or counted towards my month 30gigs, it was great. I had no issues with the service aside the obvious latency involved with satelite internet. Then bam. 20 days come and go. I attempt to log into my Hughesnet app before heading to work on day 21 to be met by this message all day 'services not available'. I get home from work and my wife has streamed 90% of the monthly data in one day because I could not turn on data saver. I thought no biggie. We'll just play it easy for the next 10 days and I'll get to experience the slow speeds once I run out. 

Month 2 begins, day 31 (Today). I go AGAIN to attempt to turn on Data Video Saver to save the precious 30gigs for the new month and low and behold I had no issue booting the app, but now the Video Data Saver Button Slider has COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED from my phone app. I can't find it online when I log into on a computer, I cant find it on the Hughesnet Windows App. My wife has again burns 10% of our data in the first 3 hours of the morning with my kidos watching Youtube. I googled Hughesnet Video Data Saver Button Disappears and found MULTIPLE other people experience the same thing as me....

This is absolutely insane. I am convinced that everything about this service pushes its customers to click the "Buy Tokens" button. Every move, every issue, every moment using this service I feel it has basically set me up to eventually spend more money to buy more data. The sad thing is its obvious that everyone who HAS to use this service is for a good reason, they have no other options really. What a manipulative business model.

Look. I get it, I do fully understand that we can't have everyone on this service full bore speed and no data caps, I fully understand that.. but come on. Why can't everyone just have 15gbs down at all times with NO data caps with heavy usage times in your area w/ the possibility of reduced speeds? I would be plum happy with that.. I can't stand data caps... I can't stand being taken advantage of, spending gobs of money each month, checking my data usage pie chart every day multiple times anytime I want to use my internet. On top of customers feeling this way and potentially leaving.. Hughesnet gets to collect $400 more of your hard earned money, so no biggie =D

So yea, I guess. Hughesnet guys, where's my Data Video Saver Button?

22 REPLIES 22

Ah, the shy and elusive Video Data Saver, that comes and goes as it pleases.  The mods should be back on Monday and fix it, until the next time it hides.  :<)>

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@LandonW1989 wrote:

Brand new Hughesnet customer here. I have had it exactly 1 month and 1 day.

First 20 days were glorious. No data was being recorded or counted towards my month 30gigs, it was great. I had no issues with the service aside the obvious latency involved with satelite internet. Then bam. 20 days come and go. I attempt to log into my Hughesnet app before heading to work on day 21 to be met by this message all day 'services not available'. I get home from work and my wife has streamed 90% of the monthly data in one day because I could not turn on data saver. I thought no biggie. We'll just play it easy for the next 10 days and I'll get to experience the slow speeds once I run out. 

Month 2 begins, day 31 (Today). I go AGAIN to attempt to turn on Data Video Saver to save the precious 30gigs for the new month and low and behold I had no issue booting the app, but now the Video Data Saver Button Slider has COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED from my phone app. I can't find it online when I log into on a computer, I cant find it on the Hughesnet Windows App. My wife has again burns 10% of our data in the first 3 hours of the morning with my kidos watching Youtube. I googled Hughesnet Video Data Saver Button Disappears and found MULTIPLE other people experience the same thing as me....

This is absolutely insane. I am convinced that everything about this service pushes its customers to click the "Buy Tokens" button. Every move, every issue, every moment using this service I feel it has basically set me up to eventually spend more money to buy more data. The sad thing is its obvious that everyone who HAS to use this service is for a good reason, they have no other options really. What a manipulative business model. 

Rather than going off the deep end with a "HughesNet is out to get me" type claim, your research should have informed you that the Video Data Saver option having an issue is not nearly as rampant as you imagine it to be.  If it were, the various forums would be filled with tens of thousands of complaints about it.  On the occasion that there is an issue, it's normally temporary.  When it's not, it can only be fixed if HughesNet knows there's a problem.  They're not trying to force you to buy data tokens, and an issue with a feature is not a "business model".   

Again, if they don't know there's a problem, they can't fix it.  Now that you've said something, I'm sure they'll do so for you.   

@LandonW1989 wrote:

Look. I get it, I do fully understand that we can't have everyone on this service full bore speed and no data caps, I fully understand that.. but come on. Why can't everyone just have 15gbs down at all times with NO data caps with heavy usage times in your area w/ the possibility of reduced speeds? I would be plum happy with that.. I can't stand data caps... I can't stand being taken advantage of, spending gobs of money each month, checking my data usage pie chart every day multiple times anytime I want to use my internet. On top of customers feeling this way and potentially leaving.. Hughesnet gets to collect $400 more of your hard earned money, so no biggie =D 

Firstly, it's impossible to guarantee speeds (I'm sure you actually meant 15Mbps, not "15gbs"), and peak usage slowdowns would still happen.  Even at 15Mbps, unlimited data would still tax the system too much.  Secondly, people want 25Mbps, because that's what the "industry standard" is for "high speed internet".  

@GabeU wrote:

Rather than going off the deep end with a "HughesNet is out to get me" type claim, your research should have informed you that the Video Data Saver option having an issue is not nearly as rampant as you imagine it to be.................

Looks like it hasn't happened to anybody in quite a while, a quick search of the messages here comes up with this on top:

My Video Data Saver is missing tonight.  I power cycled the modem and restarted my computer.  Neither helped.  It's not in the Usage Meter or the myAccount site.  Anyone else h...

In my years of experience doing computerized process controls, if a intermittent bug had been around in our systems as long as this one has,  heads would have rolled.   BTW my VDS has dissappeared also..

GabeU

@gaines_wright 

That still doesn't negate what you quoted.  It is neither as rampant as the OP makes it out to be, nor is it done deliberately, either as a way for HughesNet to make more money, as the OP also implied, or for any other reason.

It's likely a simple Ajax database query issue. Mine's out as well.

Edit: Usually if the VDS goes out and the history gives an 'ooops' page, it's fixed by rebooting your computer. This isn't one of those times. lol

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Hopefully it's a quick fix. Mine didn't start until at least yesterday (Sunday) afternnoon, though it may not have been until I got online a few hours ago, as I didn't look until then.  Hopefully they'll be able to get it working fairly quickly, like they normally do.  I started my own thread regarding the issue, as the OP claims his/hers has been having this problem for at least twelve days, so it may be a separate issue.  

maratsade

This is what I see. The screen is greyed out, and the "checking" thing keeps spinning and spinning.

VDS.png

Yeah, it can't get the value from the user's profile.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Does this mean the VDS isn't working, or that it's still firmly in place but we can't access it? 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Yeah, it can't get the value from the user's profile.

I think we just can't access it.

GabeU

@maratsade 

From what I'm seeing when I run a test at fast.com, it's still working.  It's not giving me a result any higher than 1.7Mbps.  This is only suggestive, of course.

I also do not have the VDS option on my account anymore. It simply doesn't Show up under Settings anymore - on mobile or desktop HughesNet apps.
When will this be fixed??

@MarkJFine wrote:

If Ajax is as quirky as Foxpro was, I can understand.  Once you got it right with Foxpro though, it stayed right.  I smell a programmer messing around with the code!

@gaines_wright wrote:

I smell a programmer messing around with the code!

That's my guess. Something similar happened the last time when a new Usage Meter was rolling out.

Liz

Good morning LandonW1989,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Since yesterday evening, we've received reports of intermitted issues with the Video Data Saver, so our engineers are already working to resolve this.  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz

Good morning,

I appreciate your patience while our engineers continue to work to resolve this. Investigation is still ongoing with no ETA on resolution so far. Once we have any updates to share, I'll post back here.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

The VDS control is back for me, though it's taking quite some time for it to respond to being turned off or pause, and back on.  

I tried to see if it was doing its job, but my service is unusually slow tonight, so I coulidn't see any difference (VDS on or off) with fast.com, which normally triggers the VDS to kick in.

@GabeU wrote:

The VDS control is back for me, though it's taking quite some time for it to respond to being turned off or pause, and back on.  

Mine came back also, but not in the state I left it in though.  It came back turned on, I never  turn it on.

GabeU

@gaines_wright wrote: 

Mine came back also, but not in the state I left it in though.  It came back turned on, I never  turn it on.

On is the default setting.  With it going missing, then being back, it's not surprising that it's back to default.

maratsade

My VDS button is back. Didn't test it, though. 

@GabeU wrote:

I tried to see if it was doing its job, but my service is unusually slow tonight, so I coulidn't see any difference (VDS on or off) with fast.com, which normally triggers the VDS to kick in.