cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

Tutor

Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

I was reading a thread here last night and ran across "Video Data Saver".  I knew it existed but decided to turn it off to see what kind of difference it made in streaming You Tube Videos.  WOW!  No buffering for the first 10 videos I watched and then just barely any on the next few.  Made watching videos on the computer pleasant again.  Does anyone know how much more data is consumed when VDS is off?

24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

@monicakm 

It all depends on the resolution of the stream.  With Netflix, for instance, and assuming that Netflix's playback setting is on Automatic, the difference can be marked.  About 700MB per hour with the VDS On and 3GB per hour with it Off, and that's because with it On it keeps the resolution to SD, or 480p, and with it off it's HD, or 1080p.  That is, of course, unless it's during peak usage time and the system is heavily loaded, and during which HD may not play well, resulting in Netflix automatically changing to a lower resolution.  

With Youtube, the data usage amounts may be similar, though I have seen times where Youtube will play vids in 720p while the VDS is On, so it may not use as much data as Netflix.    

Basically, what the VDS does is throttle streaming speed to that which is amenable to around 480p.  When it's off, that throttling doesn't happen. 

Some streaming services may also use Adaptive streaming, which may reduce the amount of data used in comparison to other services, depending on the device it's being streamed on.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Thanks Gabe.  I'm good with 360 Smiley Happy

Tutor

So Gabe, tell me if I've got this right.  With VDS off AND I'm ok with watching videos in 360p, I'm not using more data and my streaming is much smoother (as in no or VERY little buffering).  I'm fine with checking to make sure the video is set to 360p.  I've not noticed any abnormal drop in my data amt.  Wish I'd figured this out 13 years ago!  

Highlighted
Sophomore

okay @monicakm 

Here's how VDS actually works ......

For our example we'll say a video contains 1,000 frames of data ... VDS deletes every 5th or 10th frame as an example. (depending on the algorithm being deployed ) so in this case VDS would delete about 10 frames from the video you're watching. As a result 99% of customers would NEVER notice the difference. However, larger vids like 720 or 1080 HD contain more frames than a 360p video

This service was only available starting with GEN5. It's the ISP's attempt to limit bandwidth usage. If you're streaming Netflix or similar services you'll notice a huge difference in data usage because the aggregate total over a month is enough to make a difference.

(( information provided as a courtsey from a former installer ))

Professor

@monicakm , 

That's interesting. When I turn off VDS the data gets used at a much faster rate.

@monicakm wrote:

I've not noticed any abnormal drop in my data amt.  Wish I'd figured this out 13 years ago!  

Tutor

The only videos I watch are on You Tube.  I'll keep an eye on my data but so far it doesn't seem too bad (at 360p) and the gain of not buffering is a HUGE plus!  I can always watch YT on my phone with our unlimited mobile data.

Tutor

What resolution are you viewing?

I've only tested this starting last night and watched a few vids today so maybe I 

I don't have enough "data" to come to a conclusion Smiley Wink

Professor

ETA: Not sure if you were asking me or Gabe, @monicakm . Sorry if I got in the middle of your conversation.

I watch on low def. I find that YT does buffer a bit, but not too bad unless it's during one of those times when everyone's on the beam.  I've tested the VDS off/on thing with Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, and notice that if I turn the VDS off, then it eats more data, even at low def.  So I just keep it on most of the time. Smiley Happy

@monicakm wrote:

What resolution are you viewing?

I've only tested this starting last night and watched a few vids today so maybe I 

I don't have enough "data" to come to a conclusion Smiley Wink

Professor

Keep reporting, @monicakm , if you can.  Your experience with this can be very useful to others. 

@monicakm wrote:

The only videos I watch are on You Tube.  I'll keep an eye on my data but so far it doesn't seem too bad (at 360p) and the gain of not buffering is a HUGE plus!  I can always watch YT on my phone with our unlimited mobile data.