Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

I was reading a thread here last night and ran across "Video Data Saver".  I knew it existed but decided to turn it off to see what kind of difference it made in streaming You Tube Videos.  WOW!  No buffering for the first 10 videos I watched and then just barely any on the next few.  Made watching videos on the computer pleasant again.  Does anyone know how much more data is consumed when VDS is off?

24 REPLIES 24
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm 

It all depends on the resolution of the stream.  With Netflix, for instance, and assuming that Netflix's playback setting is on Automatic, the difference can be marked.  About 700MB per hour with the VDS On and 3GB per hour with it Off, and that's because with it On it keeps the resolution to SD, or 480p, and with it off it's HD, or 1080p.  That is, of course, unless it's during peak usage time and the system is heavily loaded, and during which HD may not play well, resulting in Netflix automatically changing to a lower resolution.  

With Youtube, the data usage amounts may be similar, though I have seen times where Youtube will play vids in 720p while the VDS is On, so it may not use as much data as Netflix.    

Basically, what the VDS does is throttle streaming speed to that which is amenable to around 480p.  When it's off, that throttling doesn't happen. 

Some streaming services may also use Adaptive streaming, which may reduce the amount of data used in comparison to other services, depending on the device it's being streamed on.

Thanks Gabe.  I'm good with 360 🙂

monicakm
Senior

So Gabe, tell me if I've got this right.  With VDS off AND I'm ok with watching videos in 360p, I'm not using more data and my streaming is much smoother (as in no or VERY little buffering).  I'm fine with checking to make sure the video is set to 360p.  I've not noticed any abnormal drop in my data amt.  Wish I'd figured this out 13 years ago!  

okay @monicakm 

Here's how VDS actually works ......

For our example we'll say a video contains 1,000 frames of data ... VDS deletes every 5th or 10th frame as an example. (depending on the algorithm being deployed ) so in this case VDS would delete about 10 frames from the video you're watching. As a result 99% of customers would NEVER notice the difference. However, larger vids like 720 or 1080 HD contain more frames than a 360p video

This service was only available starting with GEN5. It's the ISP's attempt to limit bandwidth usage. If you're streaming Netflix or similar services you'll notice a huge difference in data usage because the aggregate total over a month is enough to make a difference.

(( information provided as a courtsey from a former installer ))

The only videos I watch are on You Tube.  I'll keep an eye on my data but so far it doesn't seem too bad (at 360p) and the gain of not buffering is a HUGE plus!  I can always watch YT on my phone with our unlimited mobile data.

maratsade

Keep reporting, @monicakm , if you can.  Your experience with this can be very useful to others. 

@monicakm wrote:

The only videos I watch are on You Tube.  I'll keep an eye on my data but so far it doesn't seem too bad (at 360p) and the gain of not buffering is a HUGE plus!  I can always watch YT on my phone with our unlimited mobile data.

Aye aye Sir.  What it probably comes down to is how much more data is it worth to a person to not have videos buffer (and if they're bothered by buffering) and if they don't mind watching at 360.  I have little tolerance for it, especially when I can watch videos on my Galaxy Note 9 using unlimited mobile data that never buffers.  Undoubtedly it's going to use more data, but how much more and is it worth it.

GabeU

@Myztical 

That explanation of how the VDS works is incorrect.  There are no dropped frames in the items I watch with the VDS on.  I would definitely notice them, ESPECIALLY at a rate of every 5th or 10th frame.  As well, fast.com is a speed testing site that mimics streaming, causing the VDS to kick in (example).  That's speed/bandwidth, not dropped frames, and the speed is definitely lowered to that which is amenable to about what might be enough for 720p, but definitely enough for 480p, under ideal conditions.  Additionally, it would take a much larger rate of dropped frames to achieve the reduced data usage that the VDS induces.  

As is stated in the official explanation, though not verbatim, the VDS lowers the speed of the service when streaming.  It doesn't drop frames.

Thank you for your reply.  I'll have to take your word for it since I'm not one of those here that think they're a HN technical whiz 😉  I used to be smarter about these things and then I turned 60 and I figured out I don't know near as much as I thought I did 😉 

maratsade

I wonder how many here think they're an HN technical wiz. 

Just having a little fun with this previous comment...

since everyone here thinks they are some form of official tech support in some fashion.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Just having a little fun with this previous comment...

since everyone here thinks they are some form of official tech support in some fashion.

I'm thinking of making an "official HughesNet tech support wannabe" gold star sticker and wearing it wherever I go.  😛

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I'll have to take your word for it since I'm not one of those here that think they're a HN technical whiz 😉  I used to be smarter about these things and then I turned 60 and I figured out I don't know near as much as I thought I did 😉 

Who are you replying to?  

This is confusing.  Gabe, I was talking to @Myztical 

I'm not real used to this @ thing.  

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

This is confusing.  Gabe, I was talking to @Myztical 

I'm not real used to this @ thing.  

Ah.  I just wasn't sure.  

If you referring to what he said concerning how the VDS works, it's incorrect.  When the VDS is on, the system actually throttles the speed (bandwidth) itself while streaming, as streaming produces a unique signature that that the system can detect and differentiate from other types of data transfers, including file downloads.   Fast.com, which is a Netflix hosted speed test, produces this signature, which causes the VDS to kick in.  You can see a VDS ON vs OFF comparison here.

Good morning, 

Just wanted to clarify that what was posted earlier on how our Video Data Saver works is not correct. I double-checked with the engineer who is our VDS expert and he confirmed that this is untrue. How VDS works is proprietary information so I'm unable to provide further details. Thanks for your understanding!

okay @monicakm 

Here's how VDS actually works ......

For our example we'll say a video contains 1,000 frames of data ... VDS deletes every 5th or 10th frame as an example. (depending on the algorithm being deployed ) so in this case VDS would delete about 10 frames from the video you're watching. As a result 99% of customers would NEVER notice the difference. However, larger vids like 720 or 1080 HD contain more frames than a 360p video

This service was only available starting with GEN5. It's the ISP's attempt to limit bandwidth usage. If you're streaming Netflix or similar services you'll notice a huge difference in data usage because the aggregate total over a month is enough to make a difference.

(( information provided as a courtsey from a former installer ))

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

@monicakm , 

That's interesting. When I turn off VDS the data gets used at a much faster rate.

@monicakm wrote:

I've not noticed any abnormal drop in my data amt.  Wish I'd figured this out 13 years ago!  

What resolution are you viewing?

I've only tested this starting last night and watched a few vids today so maybe I 

I don't have enough "data" to come to a conclusion 😉

maratsade

ETA: Not sure if you were asking me or Gabe, @monicakm . Sorry if I got in the middle of your conversation.

I watch on low def. I find that YT does buffer a bit, but not too bad unless it's during one of those times when everyone's on the beam.  I've tested the VDS off/on thing with Netflix, Hulu, and Prime, and notice that if I turn the VDS off, then it eats more data, even at low def.  So I just keep it on most of the time. 🙂

@monicakm wrote:

What resolution are you viewing?

I've only tested this starting last night and watched a few vids today so maybe I 

I don't have enough "data" to come to a conclusion 😉

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I watch on low def. I find that YT does buffer a bit, but not too bad unless it's during one of those times when everyone's on the beam.  

I tend to watch mine in standard def.  There used to be a way to permanently start all vids in 480p with Youtube, but they got rid of the option, so now I have to manually change it.  Even if it starts out at 480p auto, I always change it to 480p, just so it doesn't change to some other resolution on me.