cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

@monicakm wrote:

Just having a little fun with this previous comment...

since everyone here thinks they are some form of official tech support in some fashion.

I'm thinking of making an "official HughesNet tech support wannabe" gold star sticker and wearing it wherever I go.  Smiley Tongue

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

This is confusing.  Gabe, I was talking to @Myztical 

I'm not real used to this @ thing.  

Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm wrote:

This is confusing.  Gabe, I was talking to @Myztical 

I'm not real used to this @ thing.  

Ah.  I just wasn't sure.  

If you referring to what he said concerning how the VDS works, it's incorrect.  When the VDS is on, the system actually throttles the speed (bandwidth) itself while streaming, as streaming produces a unique signature that that the system can detect and differentiate from other types of data transfers, including file downloads.   Fast.com, which is a Netflix hosted speed test, produces this signature, which causes the VDS to kick in.  You can see a VDS ON vs OFF comparison here.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning, 

Just wanted to clarify that what was posted earlier on how our Video Data Saver works is not correct. I double-checked with the engineer who is our VDS expert and he confirmed that this is untrue. How VDS works is proprietary information so I'm unable to provide further details. Thanks for your understanding!

okay @monicakm 

Here's how VDS actually works ......

For our example we'll say a video contains 1,000 frames of data ... VDS deletes every 5th or 10th frame as an example. (depending on the algorithm being deployed ) so in this case VDS would delete about 10 frames from the video you're watching. As a result 99% of customers would NEVER notice the difference. However, larger vids like 720 or 1080 HD contain more frames than a 360p video

This service was only available starting with GEN5. It's the ISP's attempt to limit bandwidth usage. If you're streaming Netflix or similar services you'll notice a huge difference in data usage because the aggregate total over a month is enough to make a difference.

(( information provided as a courtsey from a former installer ))

Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor I

Well, Monica, I don't consider myself a HughesNet technical wiz at all. Smiley Happy

@monicakm wrote:

I think I was asking you maratsade Smiley Happy