Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Video Data Saver...What a Difference When It's OFF

@Myztical 

That explanation of how the VDS works is incorrect.  There are no dropped frames in the items I watch with the VDS on.  I would definitely notice them, ESPECIALLY at a rate of every 5th or 10th frame.  As well, fast.com is a speed testing site that mimics streaming, causing the VDS to kick in (example).  That's speed/bandwidth, not dropped frames, and the speed is definitely lowered to that which is amenable to about what might be enough for 720p, but definitely enough for 480p, under ideal conditions.  Additionally, it would take a much larger rate of dropped frames to achieve the reduced data usage that the VDS induces.  

As is stated in the official explanation, though not verbatim, the VDS lowers the speed of the service when streaming.  It doesn't drop frames.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@monicakm 

360p will use the same amount of data, regardless of the VDS being on or off, and no matter how much buffering happens: i.e. if you had a five minute clip that played smoothly all the way through, and a five minute clip that buffered every ten seconds, and both clips were in 360p, they would use the same amount of data to watch them, though the latter would take longer than five minutes to play because of the buffering, of course.  

As for why your 360p item is streaming more smoothly with the VDS off, though the description of the VDS is given for a situations under ideal conditions, it can still help with streaming even when there are peak usage slowdowns and such, and even for lower resolutions..  Even if your speeds were normally not that good, or there was a lot of congestion due to a lot of people being online, the VDS can still help, even with lower than HD vids, like you're seeing.  But, again, there is no more data used, as long as it's still streaming in 360p.  It's primarily designed for lowering HD streaming to SD to save data, but it can still help to smooth out SD and LD streaming, too.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I watch on low def. I find that YT does buffer a bit, but not too bad unless it's during one of those times when everyone's on the beam.  

I tend to watch mine in standard def.  There used to be a way to permanently start all vids in 480p with Youtube, but they got rid of the option, so now I have to manually change it.  Even if it starts out at 480p auto, I always change it to 480p, just so it doesn't change to some other resolution on me.

monicakm
Senior

Thanks Gabe.  It is definitely helping!  And I don't mind the lower resolution to help my handicapped data limits.  Next week will be a different story...fingers crossed Smiley Wink

monicakm
Senior

Aye aye Sir.  What it probably comes down to is how much more data is it worth to a person to not have videos buffer (and if they're bothered by buffering) and if they don't mind watching at 360.  I have little tolerance for it, especially when I can watch videos on my Galaxy Note 9 using unlimited mobile data that never buffers.  Undoubtedly it's going to use more data, but how much more and is it worth it.

monicakm
Senior

Thank you for your reply.  I'll have to take your word for it since I'm not one of those here that think they're a HN technical whiz Smiley Wink  I used to be smarter about these things and then I turned 60 and I figured out I don't know near as much as I thought I did Smiley Wink 

maratsade

I wonder how many here think they're an HN technical wiz. 

monicakm
Senior

I think I was asking you @maratsade Smiley Happy

monicakm
Senior

Just having a little fun with this previous comment...

since everyone here thinks they are some form of official tech support in some fashion.

GabeU

@monicakm wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I'll have to take your word for it since I'm not one of those here that think they're a HN technical whiz Smiley Wink  I used to be smarter about these things and then I turned 60 and I figured out I don't know near as much as I thought I did Smiley Wink 

Who are you replying to?