cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mk2
Sophomore

Video Data Saver keeps turning back on

Hello folks,

I have a quick question. We don't stream too often, so we don't use too much of our data each month. Therefore, when we do stream a show or movie, we want to see it in the highest offered quality. I have gone into the "settings" tab and shut off the Video Data Saver option. That's fine. But it seems to default back to on again later. What I mean is the next time I go into settings, the VDS is back on. Is this the default? Is there any way to keep it off as a default, and only turn on when I want? As an added point of info, we sometimes have short, (1 minute) power failures which we believe are triggered by the electric company to perform maintenance. The Hughes modem resets. Is this when the VDS turns back on? 

Thanks for any info which can be provided. Stay safe everybody.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Remy,

Thank you for the response and information. It is clear what the answer is.

Did you send a notice out to the community indicating this change? If yes, then I am sorry I missed it and asked the question. If there was no notice sent, then perhaps a message should be sent so people would know what may be happening to their streaming. I am not being critical, just trying to help save you and others from having to respond repeatedly to issues and complaints.

Again, thank you (and Gabe) for the kind responses.

Take care, and be safe everybody.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mk2 

While the default VDS setting is On (showing green on the switch), it should stay Off when you turn it Off, and even when your modem power cycles.  The only way it should come back on is when the VDS is Snoozed instead of actually turned Off.  

This is something the reps will likely have to look into for you.  They're normally on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They typically respond within a working day, so hopefully you'll see a reply from one on Monday.

Remy

mk2,

We have implemented a variety of optimizations in an effort to improve network efficiency while many of our customers work and learn from home. One of the changes has the Video Data Saver turn back on after a period of time, as to not eat excess data. Some of the adjustments may affect video streaming resolution, however you can temporarily opt out of this by snoozing your Video Data Saver feature when using streaming services.

Thanks,

Remy

Hello Remy,

Thank you for the response and information. It is clear what the answer is.

Did you send a notice out to the community indicating this change? If yes, then I am sorry I missed it and asked the question. If there was no notice sent, then perhaps a message should be sent so people would know what may be happening to their streaming. I am not being critical, just trying to help save you and others from having to respond repeatedly to issues and complaints.

Again, thank you (and Gabe) for the kind responses.

Take care, and be safe everybody.

maratsade

redacted by maratsade

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"Did you send a notice out to the community indicating this change?"

It's on the first page of the community, under Announcements. It may also be on the social media accounts. 

I don't see the VDS info being included in the Announcement.

GabeU

@mk2 

It's very interesting about the VDS turning back on after a while.  I didn't know they were doing this, but now knowing it I understand it.   

Also, and not to be nitpicky, but wouldn't @Remy's reply be the Solution?  Solutions are chosen to help those searching for answers to the same or similar issues, so it's important to Solution the post with the info that answers the original question/problem.

mk2,

We appreciate you reaching out! I'll look into if we've made any statements on that, and see if we'd be able to get one out. Feedback makes this community better!

Thanks,

Remy

Darrin
Freshman

This has been driving me nuts too.  I don't watch many videos and my streaming quality is abysmal at all times (even with the video data saver turned off).  Why give two options that either turn it off or pause it when they both apparently just "pause" it?  Would it be too difficult for Hughesnet to put a simple line of next under the off slider warning that it will reset anyway (whether you want it to or not) in a certain period of time?  From my experience, I don't think the video data saver even works.  On or off my streaming quality makes watching any channel either unpleasant or impossible.

maratsade

You're piggybacking on an old ticket -- go to the Tech Support area and start your new ticket if you'd like a response to your question.  And the VDS actually does work, even if you think it doesn't.  Your issues with streaming have more to do with congestion and network optimisation than with a switch. 

Darrin wrote:

This has been driving me nuts too.  I don't watch many videos and my streaming quality is abysmal at all times (even with the video data saver turned off).  Why give two options that either turn it off or pause it when they both apparently just "pause" it?  Would it be too difficult for Hughesnet to put a simple line of next under the off slider warning that it will reset anyway (whether you want it to or not) in a certain period of time?  From my experience, I don't think the video data saver even works.  On or off my streaming quality makes watching any channel either unpleasant or impossible.