cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Data Saver missing...

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Video Data Saver missing...

Update:  I tried power cycling the modem, though it didn't matter.  

I don't know that there are any engineers working during the weekends, nor any reps on here, but I'll leave my modem on again, just in case it matters. 

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, as I don't often turn the Video Data Saver off, nor Snooze it, but I was going to stream a little HBO tonight.  Smiley Sad  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

That's so odd, Gabe.  I wonder what can cause something like that, and I hope it fixes itself, so you can watch HBO.

@GabeU wrote:

Update:  I tried power cycling the modem, though it didn't matter.  

Assistant Professor

Earlier this morning, I got an "oops" response to the history display and, like you, the video saver was gone.

So I tried my usual trick of quitting the Usage app, deleting the "~/Library/Application Support/HughesNet Usage Meter" folder, then restarted the usage meter and it was all back. Might want to try that with your Roaming/HughesNet folder in Winders.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, it's back.  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@MarkJFine

I saw that with the Usage History, as well.  It's working again tonight.    

The next time this happens I'll give your suggestion a try.  The only thing is, each time it's happened, I also don't have the "Settings" option on the MyAccount site, nor do I have it on the HughesNet mobile app, even when using my phone's data and not connecting via HughesNet's WiFi.  I've even shut down my desktop, left it off, power cycled the modem, and then tried it with the phone again, as well as two other computers.  

At first I thought that it might be something with the computer, maybe along the lines of what you discovered, but with all of the other methods not working either, I think that, with at least these last few times, it's something different.  Still, again, I'll give your suggestion a try the next time it does it rather than assuming it may be caused by something else.  One never knows what might help.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy  

Edit:  I forgot to mention that, whenever I've lost the VDS control in the past, I tried a couple of things to have it show up again in the Usage Meter, but what most often worked is just exiting the Usage Meter and restarting it.  That was practically the first thing I tried these last couple of times, but it didn't help, of course.    

Assistant Professor

Think sometimes there's a SSL connection error between the app and the account query... the app needs to get some info about the user's account settings and the capabilities available.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Good morning Gabe,

Thanks for keeping us updated on the VDS setting's disappearing act. I'm sending these to our engineers as well so they can figure out why this keeps happening. Please keep us informed and I'll post back with any news once I get it.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Good morning Gabe,

Our devs are logging files so that if this VDS thing happens again they can look back at the files and investigate from there. If it happens again, just drop us a line in this thread, I'll leave it open for you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

That's great news. 

Thanks, Liz.  I really do appreciate it.  Smiley Happy  

@Liz

It's gone again.  I powered the modem about an hour or so ago, and the computer about a half hour ago.  I just went to try an HD video on Youtube and the VDS control was there, in my Usage Meter.  I clicked on the control, but it wouldn't come up.  It just kept saying "Checking".  After about 30 or 40 seconds of waiting, I closed the Usage Meter and started it again, and now the VDS control is not there.  It's not there on the MyAccount site, either.  

I'm going to power cycle the modem in the hopes that it will be there.  It's 7:47PM EST right now.  I first tried accessing the control on the VDS about twelve minutes or so ago.  I know you said they're logging these things, but I thought maybe that info might help, nonetheless.  Wish me luck with the power cycle.  I'll edit the post as to whether the VDS showed up or not.  

----------------------------------------------------

Edit:  Well, I power cycled the modem (at plug, not through SCC), and while the modem was off I also deleted the HughesNet Usage Meter folder in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming", which Mark had suggested I try before.  It's the same thing to do to fix that annoying Usage Meter JavaScript error that pops up after a sudden power loss.  I powered the modem and waited until it was fully up, then started the Usage Meter.  I didn't restart my computer.  Amazingly, it worked!  Smiley Happy

Oddly enough, though the VDS is now in my Usage Meter again, and the control works this time, it's not showing up on the MyAccount site.  I could be that I have to close all open HughesNet pages, or even all open Chrome pages, and then open them again to get it to show up.  A page refresh did nothing.  I'll try restarting Chrome later.  

----------------------------------------------------

Edit 2:  Sure enough, closing all open Chrome pages and starting anew did the trick.  The VDS control is now there on the MyAccount site.  Smiley Happy  

I should have just tried all of this before posting, but maybe the logged files, and what I did to solve the issue, or at least what worked to solve it this time, will help the devs in some way.  

Happy New Year!  Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy