Hughesnet Community

Video Saver - mine got turned off...by Netflix. Anyone else have this problem?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaschuff32
New Poster

Video Saver - mine got turned off...by Netflix. Anyone else have this problem?

I saw that our data usage was high...so I was checking account settings.  And Video Saver was "OFF".  

I would never turn Video Saver "OFF."  I called HughesNet and they told me that if my Netflix settings are wrong it can automatically turn off my Video Saver feature.  WHATTTT???  

So what I select as my HughesNet account settings can be changed by another service provider/app?  Why would anyone wanna do that?  Doesn't make any sense....AT ALL!!!  

Anyone else have this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pretty sure that's not possible. I keep my Netflix set to low definition in playback settings, then I don't have to worry what Data Saver is set to, Netlix will always stream at low definition.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It sounds, at least to me, like the phone tech didn't know what they were talking about.  It's just not possible for a streaming service to change a HughesNet setting like that, even as a cause of something.  

It's possible the HughesNet system itself had some sort of hiccup that changed your setting, though even that seems very odd.  

Could it have accidentally been turned off by something thinking they were pausing it?     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Easy for anyone who has access to pause using the Status Meter. Don't think it can be turned off completely, is a 4 hour pause only from my understanding. Unless their is a deeper setting somwhere I'm not aware of. Maybe at http://my.hughesnet.com/ ?

Why I have all sites I stream from set to the lowest possible definition. Set on their site, not relying on Hughes Video Optimization, or whatever it is called this week.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Easy for anyone who has access to pause using the Status Meter. Don't think it can be turned off completely, is a 4 hour pause only from my understanding. Unless their is a deeper setting somwhere I'm not aware of. Maybe at http://my.hughesnet.com/ ?

Why I have all sites I stream from set to the lowest possible definition. Set on their site, not relying on Hughes Video Optimization, or whatever it is called this week.

It can be turned off completely and permanently.  You can turn it off or pause it.  

Edit:  When I say "pause" I'm referring to snooze, which is the four hour pause.  

Capture.JPG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Never mind, had an old timer's moment. It can be turned off totally. I don't rely on it though, set it at the streaming end.

Still, 99.9% sure Netflix can not turn it off on their end. Wonder if OP has children. They are sneaky buggers.

PS: Unless HughesNet has given Netflix a backdoor into the setting which would pretty much be the end of them (HughesNet) as a company. This OP is another case where offshore support does more harm than good IMO.

GabeU

That's what I'm wondering. 

And I hate those senior moments.  Had one myself the other day, telling someone that I couldn't connect to a site they were having a problem with, either.  I then realized, after I posted, that it was a private server on their network.  Duh, Gabe, of course you couldn't connect to it!!!  LMAO!  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"I called HughesNet and they told me that if my Netflix settings are wrong it can automatically turn off my Video Saver feature."

If what was actually said, then either the CSR should be fired, or if true, HughesNet is in a heap of trouble. Pretty certain the CSR talking out their behind is the real truth.