Video Streaming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Video Streaming

Experiencing severe prime time slowdown tonight but can still stream Netflix, no problem. Did these two speed tests and in between the two went to Netflix and started a show. Took a bit to load, circle, but then played fine. Was ugly quality at first then got much better. I have my playback setting at Low in preferences. Have always been able to stream Netflix even during really bad peak time slowdowns.

Guess I'm not the norm when can still stream Netflix just fine at 1-1.5 Mbps speed.

22 REPLIES 22
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Note speed (throughput) while watching:

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That speed test site is not recommended by HughesNet. The only one they will accept is Testmy.net, the 12 MB manual download test and the 1.5 or 2 MB manual upload test.

Just a heads up, have to use Testmy.net if ever wanting help with a problem. Sadly, the HughesNet test on their own performance page still uses Java which is dying and many browsers don't support anymore.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Oh yea, we're into British/European and Australian cop/detective shows. It is called "The Killing" . Peaky Blinders is also excellent if not turned off by violence and adult content. It is more of a period piece about gangsters in England around 1930.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, I have noticed oddly slow speeds tonight when it comes to some things, (teamviewer disconnecting like crazy?) among other things... But some streaming content is fine?

Just tried the 12MB test package... Testmy forwarded to a 200MB package it went by so fast.  Maybe they are having some issues with Web Accel?  No idea what's going on.

All that aside... I think typical 720P only needs 1.5or 3.0Mbps to be streamable with out much buffering.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Mine's coming back up. My point was I don't get people saying they can't stream video even when speed is low.

I think 720p needs more than 1.5 to not buffer a lot, could be wrong since I never stream in HD.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lisa, "Longmire" is a very good American modern western cop/sheriff show, with lots of good Native American influence.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I remember when WISP started to become available around this area, one of my friends had it, max speed was 1.5Mbps and he had Netflix.  Granted it would buffer for a LONG time at the start of videos, and on many occasions would downgrade the resolution due to network capacity being so small.  The thing about buffering is it can be done 1 of 2 ways...

1: Buffer a LARGE amount of the audio/video prior to starting, this way if there is an interrupt in data the customer doesn't notice.  However, on slower connections this can take a rather long time and program appears unresponsive.

2: Buffer smaller chunks of data, while the video will play sooner, if the pipe isn't big enough or goes out, an interruption will occur frequently resulting in more buffering.

At one time, there was a few third-party add-ons that people with REALLY slow internet could use to force Youtube videos to fully load prior to starting to play, or load enough for current speeds so that the video wouldn't stop and buffer mid-stream.  I guess with the national speed averages spiking thanks to the likes of G-Fiber, a lot of streaming services are re-adjusting how they send content to the users.  How I miss the days of 360p only video.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I seriously don't see the big HD deal. Yes it is nice on my big TV with OTA broadcast stations which is pure HD, no compression, like 7-13 Mbps and higher. Looks fantastic. Not like I want to puke when watching a movie on Netflix at low definition though.

Oh, I can't see the pimple on the guy's face. Give me a break!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Click on the Manual button and a file size pop up will appear, select 12 MB.

http://testmy.net/download

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Man, that was a rough peak time, getting over it now. Still, my main point is I was able to stream Netflix at low definition even when speed was 1 Mbps.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Did you click on the link I posted above?

http://testmy.net/download
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you create an account then you'll have a history HughesNet reps can look at like here: http://testmy.net/quickstats/sgoshe
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Back to what has been the norm lately. Boy, 1 to 1.5 Mbps is harsh. Maybe a problem with network or even Gateway, didn't check that. Again, I could still stream Netflix. Thanks HughesNet! Good night all.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's pure luck...  People on J1 can usually get upto 20Mbps IF there is zero congestion...  I think Hughes may have raised that upwards of 30Mbps here recently though, see a lot of people during very early mornings with some really high rate speeds.
Amanda

Hi 

I wonder if this is related to the fact that our main NOC in Germantown was under severe weather yesterday? We've been having some really intense thunderstorms this week. Glad I got new wipers.

Amanda
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

She has an account.  You can see in the snapshots.  She's a smart cookie.  LOL. 

GabeU

She has an account.  You can see in the snapshots.  She's a smart cookie.  LOL. 

GabeU

Lisa,

It depends on the definition you stream in, which is adjustable at Netflix.  HD is about 3GB per hour, SD is 700MB per hour and LD is 300MB per hour, so you definitely wouldn't want to stream a typical film in HD.  LOL. 

Here's the link...

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87 

GabeU

Lisa,

All of the things you've done will help.  Even when some of those things will just save a little data, when you do a lot of them, it adds up. 

I wish everyone was as proactive as you. 

You are also ahead of the game in not using a router when you don't have to. 

If you do exceed your data allowance, about the only thing you would really be able to do is buy tokens.  You can always buy in advance and keep them for a rainy day, so to speak.

I can't help you with Edge.  Sorry.  I'm sure there is someone who can. 

Again, I wish everyone were as proactive as you.  In the seven or so months I've been coming onto these boards regularly I don't know that I've seen someone as diligent in trying to do everything they can to save data.  It's very commendable.

GabeU

They grew up somewhat like the way we grew up.  Not having all of these things kids have today, like every device you can think of that take up every waking minute.  When I was a kid you had to find things to do, including inventing things to do.  Granted, we had an Atari, but that was about it.  During the summer, other than for chores, meals and bedtime, I don't think I was inside for more than a half hour each day.  LOL.  Riding bikes, building forts, playing ball, and once I hit 13, working on a farm, baling hay and milking cows.     

And geez...I thought I lived in the boonies!