Video freezes on certain site consistently

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tammy Kees
Freshman

Video freezes on certain site consistently

Please help me troubleshoot this problem.  I go to a certain workout site and all the videos there work except the ones they are loading the last couple weeks.  They are assuring me that nothing has changed on their end.  I know it has to do with my internet since I can play them on another wifi option.  I have no other choice here since there is no cell service, etc. hence why I have hughesnet.

The video will start to play and then will freeze at about the 1:02 mark.  The sound will sometimes continue.  Sometimes, the buffering circle will be going, but a lot of times it just disappears.  Sometimes I get the error message:  233404.  I have done all the clearing of cache, etc. and also tried another browser.  Since it is just these specific videos of the last couple of weeks and the other workout videos on the site work fine, and I've been able to play these particular videos on my phone on another wifi, I know it has to do with the internet signal here and how it interacts with their video, but I have no idea how to go about getting a solution and it is driving me nuts and starting to make it impossible to use my subscription to this workout program which is so frustrating.

I know that's a lot of information, but looking for someone that could help me figure things out.  I sent an email to support, but have not heard a thing and it's been over a week.

Thank you,

Tammy

29 REPLIES 29
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Have you tried restarting everything (your device, the modem, etc.)?

EDIT:

Also, what browser are you using? Have you tried resetting the browser settings to the original settings? 

Do the videos play in incognito mode?

Do you have ad blockers or other apps that may be interfering? 

Thanks for the reply.  These are all very good questions of which I can say yes, I've tried all of those things.  I've restarted multiple devices, powered the modem on and off, etc.  One device does have an ad blocker, but removed that and it still does it also.  Primarily I use Chrome, but tried Microsoft edge to be sure and it happens there to.  Also, it does the same thing in Incognito mode.

Again, this is only the videos that my workout site has added in the last couple of weeks.  The other videos on the site work fine.  They say they are the same, but my gut tells me there is something intricate about the new uploads that doesn't like the hughesnet signal and I am the only one affected it seems.  I don't know enough to figure this out.  Obviously, I don't want them to change it for me, but maybe there is something on my end that can be changed to accommodate this.  I am just so frustrated.  I cannot play these videos.

On another note I did try to reboot the modem from hughesnet and it says something went wrong.  Could that note some kind of problem on my end?

Thanks for trying.

maratsade

It's likely the problem is with the videos that the site just uploaded, even though they say they're the same.   Do other random videos (say, from YouTube) all work fine? If all the videos you try work fine, it seems to point to the problem being with the videos themselves.

What error do you get when you try to reboot the modem?  Just "something went wrong"? 

@Liz or @Damian may need to get involved and help with more troubleshooting ideas. 

The message I receive when trying to reboot the modem is:  Something went wrong. Please try again, or contact Customer care if you receive this message again.  I have received it multiple times.

Yes, I do believe it has something specifically to do with the videos themselves and the handshake that happens with the satellite signal.  Unfortunately, I am one person in the midst of thousands that it is working fine for.  I need help in trying figure out the problem for me.  Oh and yes other videos on youtube, etc. work as usual (buffering is to be expected!).  Thanks for your help.

maratsade

The HN reps on this site will have to see whether they can reboot your modem remotely. Maybe that'll fix the issue, if the issue is with the modem. They may also have some other ideas about these videos. I hope this gets resolved for you soon. 

Thanks! I sure hope it can get resolved too! I appreciate the effort!

Tammy,

Thank you for the information, it's much appreciated! I see it's also your first post here. Welcome to the Community! I was able to take a look into your account and I wasn't able to find anything of note that'd signify an issue with the modem. Which website are you attempting to access these videos on? It'll help us take a deeper look into it.

Thanks,

Remy

Tammy Kees
Freshman

Hi Remy 

Thank you for your response. The website is theladiesedge.com. 

As I've stated before, the problem I'm having is with the daily workouts that have been loaded the last 2 weeks. I can play other videos on the website without issue and could do the dailies prior to the last couple of weeks. I have been back and forth with them and they assure me nothing changed, but something did. I need better info to be able to get to the bottom of it. 

Also, did you see that I am not able to reboot the modem from my account. I don't have any idea if that would help.

Thanks.

Tammy

Tammy,

From what I'm seeing, there was a power cycle performed yesterday during the evening. Was this power cycle performed by unplugging the modem from the power source, or through a command?

Thanks,

Remy

Umm, that would be unplugging at the source...kind of by accident!😏 I was trying to investigate plugging in directly to the modem, but realized I didn't have the correct cabling. At this point I'll try anything!

Remy

Tammy,

Thank you for the additional info! I have a couple questions for clarification purposes. When you receive the 233404 error, is there a message that's attached to it? In addition, I'd recommend attempting to lower the resolution settings of the videos you're attempting to view if you're able to. Another thing I'd like you to try is snoozing the Video Data Saver. To do so, go to http://my.hughesnet.com, go to My Account > Settings, and snooze the Video Data Saver. This feature is to help lower the resolution of what you are watching to save you on data. In some cases, it struggles to communicate to the app you are using on certain devices and causes buffering. Please let me know if this helps!

Thanks,

Remy

I had tried the pausing/snoozing the video data saver before, but just did it and then tried to play the video with the same result. It freezes at 1:02 with the buffering circle and never progresses. It sometimes will continue audio for a while, but not always. 

Screenshot_20220503-160506_Chrome.jpg

The error message can most times be corrected by clearing cache and browsing data . Afterward it will then give me the above results. Not sure what that indicates. 

20220502_123550.jpg

 I usually choose the lowest resolution. It has only become a choice in the last month or so which I had hoped would be very helpful to me with normal buffering issues. So much for wishful thinking!

Thanks for taking the time to process through this!

~Tammy

Tammy,

Thank you for checking that out and providing screenshots! I've gone ahead and had this escalated to our engineers, who will take a look into this. We'll be sure to keep you updated!

Thanks,

Remy

Thank you. Oh, I spoke too soon about the error being taken care of by clearing the cache and browsing history. Just did that and I got the error anyway!

Screenshot_20220503-171126_Chrome.jpg

Tammy,

I have a few additional questions for our engineers! Is this video (https://vimeo.com/674664734) an example of one of the daily workout videos? I know this video is from February, but most of the videos are paywalled and we want to get a baseline. 

Also, are all of the videos hosted on Vimeo? When you attempt to play a newer daily workout video and it freezes a minute in, what happens if you try scrolling/scrubbing further ahead in the video? Does it play?

Thanks,

Remy

Not sure where to start. No. Those videos are basically Facebook lives. The videos I am having problems with are all done in the last couple of weeks. The ones on their site prior to that time have worked fine.

Now, I was going to do a full investigation of my issues. I went to my phone first and got the error message. After clearing my cache, etc. Tried again and everything is working. Something has changed. I have not been able to get them to work in several weeks. Always freezing and never progressing.

I tried my computer and get the error message. Logged out. Refreshed etc, then was able to play through. What the heck!! 

My husband's computer same thing. Froze for a little while and also got the error message but I was able to get it to work. 

I'm not saying there aren't still issues, but something drastically has changed. Did hughesnet do something?  I'm thrilled it's working for now, but leary that it will be short lived.

Thank you so much for all you've done. I just wish I knew what happened.

maratsade

However it happened, it's great to hear you can watch the videos now without the weird issues. 🙂

Tammy,

It's great to hear that it's working again! In the case this issue comes up again, please reach back out and we'll continue to look into it!

Thanks,

Remy 

So Remy, I don't know if you're around, but it's back again! I didn't try yesterday, but today it is doing the same thing: freezing at approx. 1:02 with the buffering circle going. I can rewind, but it freezes again at the same point. Never progresses. I'm not sure where to go from here. Did something happen with the signal from hughesnet on Wednesday that would have accounted for it working then? Ugh! 

Thanks for your help.

~Tammy

Tammy,

Oh no! We're sorry to hear that the issues seem to have popped back up. We have a couple more ideas on possible fixes for this! From what I see, there's currently a Hopper3 device connected to the terminal. This device can cause service interruptions on occasion, so when you have the opportunity, please remove this device and let me know if that makes a difference! In addition, for this test, please make sure the device you're playing the videos on is the only one connected to the terminal!

Thanks,

Remy