Video help please

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schalid
Sophomore

Video help please

My speed with Hughesnet is fine. I have my laptop direct wired to modem, no other devices on system. When I try to watch most youtube vids, I get the constant buffering. Little circle going round and round! I have it set on lowest quality, 144. I even tried to turn off the video saving mode, but that does not help. I like to watch youtube vids on how to play guitar, but I only get a few short seconds and then buffering, buffering! Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
MarkJFine
Professor

You might want to play with your Video Savings settings, as well as the stream rate on the YouTube. Contiguous download speeds are not the same as streaming.

As for the content itself, find an album you like, or an artist you like or want to emulate. Then go to a music store and get some sheet music books of that album, or albums that include the artist. At the risk of sounding like an old man, that's how we did it back in the 70s... still effective today.

For the more modern way of doing things, I'd greatly recommend a tab app like the one from Ultimate Guitar. Learned a bunch of songs that way as well.

....a left-hander that plays righty, like Joe Strummer.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
RubberBiscuit61
Freshman

Get used to it, it's not going to get any better - at least during peak hours.  In my experience, it works fine at 5 AM, but really is unusable during the hours I actually want to use it.  I bumped up the data plan on my cell service in order to use the internet at night.

Best of luck with the guitar!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This is not true for everyone, you know, and you shouldn't generalise from your or other people's experience.  Many people have few or no problems with streaming video. 

@RubberBiscuit61 wrote:

Get used to it, it's not going to get any better - at least during peak hours.  In my experience, it works fine at 5 AM, but really is unusable during the hours I actually want to use it.  I bumped up the data plan on my cell service in order to use the internet at night.

Best of luck with the guitar!

@RubberBiscuit61

This seems to be a particular problem with Youtube within the past few months. My daughter and I can stream movies, TV episodes, clips from Vimeo or news stations, but when Joy tries to watch a three minute Youtube video of Stephen Colbert or SNL, it's impossible. This holds true across our Samsung phone, iPhone, and PC laptop. Always streaming at lowest resolution.

As said, try disabling the "video saver" and see if that helps.

Otherwise, just pause it at the beginning, go do something else for a while, and let it load.

I uninstalled Youtube on my iPhone because it got so frustrating.

Good luck with the guitar! I learned in 8th grade music class. This may date me, but I clearly remember learning "Michael Row the Boat Ashore," "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?", and "Abraham, Martin, and John." Oh, and "Louie, Louie"-- just three chords!