cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pete_Vit
Senior

VoIP - and GEN5

OK - I need some tech support, before I call tech support Smiley Happy 

since my GEN5 install my VOIP quality has gotten worse, so bad that I may as well be talking in a tunnel using a cell phone, is there anything the installer should have done to the VOIP hardware? or router, anything I can do to correct this, I get choppy conversations and sometime the person I'm talking to tells me they cannot hear me or I cannot hear them 

What's up ?

Carmen Vitullo
17 REPLIES 17
Liz

Good morning Pete_Vit,

Thanks for posting. I've located your account so we can do some diagnostics to ensure the HughesNet equipment is working normally and isn't the root cause of your concerns. Otherwise, our engineers are already investigating these reports about VOIP call quality and are working to address it.

Your internet browsing is OK?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank you Liz, internet seems OK so far, no issues with GEN5 just the VOIP call quality, thank you

Pete (Carmen) 
Carmen Vitullo

I'm also having some voice issues with Gen 5.   Our system was installed about 2 weeks ago and the voice is not what I expected.   When I place a call or receive one, it either sounds like you're in a tunnel or it cuts in and out so badly, that you can't even get half of your conversation.    Is this a general issue with the voice product?

Seems to be a trend here, I don't want to assume GEN5 was not fully tested with the VOIP hardware? but it seems there's enoguth issues to assume it was not. 

I cannot put hardware/software into production without full testing of both test thru QA, to customer acceptace, so as paying customers we should not accept this defect as acceptable.

I'll ask Liz to respond, is there any update you can provide to us? and solutions, I know you told me someone was going to test my hardware, I'm not sure this was done, no one had contacted me, and no responses to our VOIP issue.

I have a 94 year old MIL living with us that's currentl not doing good, a phone is a life line and cell service is not an option for us.

Carmen Vitullo
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi Carmen, you may want to read the VoIP subscriber agreement, especially the part about emergency  and 911 calls and how it should not be relied upon as the sole source for phone service in such cases.

http://legal.hughesnet.com/VoiceServiceAgreement/index.cfm

VoIP Agreement.JPG

And you are? tech support? working for Hughes? legal dept? 

I don't think this is a solution - and bad customer service if so. 

every service has some legal disclamer, but I've never have had a company provide this as a solution for a problem 

if so I'll contact someone today to disconect me service and get a landline again.

Carmen Vitullo

BirdDog is a long time community member and a HughesNet customer like you. That legal blurb is just something to keep in mind if 911 iavailability is the focus of one's concern. Since we're dealing with call quality, that's something we can certainly and have escalated to our engineers to address. They are working to roll out a fix to address the HughesNet Voice quality concerns, we just ask for your patience and understanding.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Thank you (and the engineers) for staying focused on this issue. As I recall, HughesNet engineers believed they had a diagnosis for the VoIP issues, they tested it in one beam starting some weeks ago, and they were supposed to roll out the fix to all beams on July 19. If the July 19 rollout occurred, then the implication is that the engineers still didn't fully have a grip on what is going on, the July 19 fix didn't work, and that they're continuing to work on it.

Because I have both VoIP issues and also evidence of packet loss, I'd greatly appreciate updates on the progress of this fix, and, if possible, nerdly explanations of what the problem is. Though I am new to satellite, my background is pretty technical, and I like having some understanding of the technology I rely on. 

Some questions: Is the VoIP issue related to packet loss? If so, does it affect all Gen5 customers, or only some? If only some, who? Is the problem in the satellite? Or does it involve HT2000W firmware, or both? I realize that you don't have to tell us these things, but such information — and regular updates — would greatly help with customer patience and understanding. I can easily appreciate how complex the new satellite must be and that your engineers need time to work out the inevitable kinks.

Good morning IntoTheWoods,

We just know it's a network wide concern, and that our engineers have just rolled out a fix to one beam so far, beam 82 (you're on beam 83). I don't have an ETA on when other beams will get the same treatment, but as soon as we find out, especially if it's on your beam, I'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

I'm not sure where I stand, what BEAM I'm on is there any update on this issue?

thank you

Carmen Vitullo

Good morning,

I haven't gotten any updates from engineering so far this week. Once we have anything pertinent to share, I'll post back.

Thank you !

@Liz wrote:

Good morning,

I haven't gotten any updates from engineering so far this week. Once we have anything pertinent to share, I'll post back.

Carmen Vitullo

Just checking again Liz for any updates on the GEN5 and VoIP issues? should I be doing anything at home? should I try to call customer service to get a record of the issue? 

thank you

Carmen Vitullo

Good morning Carmen,

No need to call in. I'm still waiting on confirmation, but updates to address this are planned to be done by this weekend. Once I get confirmation, I will let you know.

Great, thanks so much Liz Smiley Wink

Carmen Vitullo
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just a customer like you. Wasn't saying it is a solution to the problem, only providing what the policy is when it comes to relying on it for emergency service since you made the comment about 94 year old MIL.

I absolutly understand Liz, even the best planning and testing cannot find all the issues. the intent of my follow up post was to generatre a response from Hughesnet, just wanted to know what the status of the issue was. My MIL just now became an issue and I've never had issues with VOIP before, she is complaining and the entire family know about it, I'll not get into the deatil of the family but its been a headache. thanks Liz and please keep us/me posted if I need to do anything on my end, or there's a solution you'd like to test

Carmen Vitullo