Voice drops calls after 2 - 5 mins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsJ469
Freshman

Voice drops calls after 2 - 5 mins

Voice newly activated last week. Voice has worked good for only 1 call that was over 5 min.  All others have been dropped after a few min.  I am unable to use the phone for even making appointments.  If the caller calls back it will drop immediately.  If I call back it will only work again for a few min.  I don't have a strong cell signal here so getting Voice was my next option. 

9 REPLIES 9
Liz

Hi MsJ469,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! We can certainly help you get to the bottom of this, I've already pulled up your account to do some preliminary investigation.  Additional info would help us fill in some blanks, if you could please answer at your convenience:

How is regular internet browsing for you?

Are you using a corded or cordless phone?

Do you have another phone to test and see if the dropped calls persist with that?

If so, please swap phones and let me know how it goes.

I see you have other devices connected via ethernet cable to the HughesNet modem. For testing purposes, please unplug all and leave just the ATA (the HughesNet Voice box) connected to the modem. Do you still experience dropped calls then?

If so, please note the time, date, and number for which the call dropped and privately send that info to me so our VOIP team can check logs.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Internet browsing is great. No problems there. I am using a cordless phone. I have a set of 2 phones and it happens on both phones. The other items I have connected to the modem are my computers and if I unplug them I wouldn't need HughesNet at all. I cannot go for hours to see if the phone works and not have internet.  I need both to work.

What lights should flash on the ATA when in use?

Thanks for the additional information, that helps!

The next thing that would really help is making a test call or few while the ATA is the only device connected to the modem.

I know you use the internet for other things, not just phone, but isolating the ATA is not a solution, just a temporary thing for testing purposes.

What I'm suggesting to do now is temporarily unplug the other devices while leaving just the ATA connected, and try making a call and see if it drops. 

The normal LEDs that should be lit are Power, Run, VoIP, and Phone 1, they should be green; WAN and LAN should be Amber.

Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I unplugged the computers from the modem and made 2 calls.  The called person still could not hear me all the time. Voice kept cutting in and out and not clear.  As for lights I only have the power, phone, ethernet; they are all green, the ethernet blinks and when the phone is in use the phone light blinks.  There are 3 other tiny windows for lights but there is nothing lit up.    I am going to be gone now until late tonight or tomorrow.  Please leave me information and a way to contact you once I am gone for several hours.  Thanks Jan

Interesting, so on these test calls they didn't drop, but you had poor call quality. I think I have enough info for our VOIP team to sort through for now. I'll post back once I have updates or additional instructions.

Thanks,

Liz

Nothing in this conversation was a solution.  I am very disappointed in the response from hughes on the voice problems.  I was told that absolutely I would have good reception and use of the voice phone service when I inquired.  So I signed up for it and have a 2 yr commitment for a service that is 1 out of 10 calls it works.  I am definitely not happy.  It doesn't matter if it drops a call or it cuts in and out - that is not an acceptable phone service for any price.  I'm not done in trying to fix this, just know that this community is not the answer to any question. 

Hi MsJ469,

I understand your frustration, just want to make it clear that sometimes what we do in the community for technical cases is troubleshooting. That's what we're doing now; gathering information so we can narrow our focus on what's relevant. It helps us find the root cause of your concern. I wish all the technical issues had a simple solution like "push this button" and voila, but in many cases we have to gather info to analyze. 

I haven't gotten an update yet from our VOIP team, let me ping them on their progress to see if they need more info or if they would like to get on a troubleshooting call with you. Ultimately that's what I hope it comes to, so they can see first hand what you're experiencing. Would you be available for live troubleshooting? If so, please let me know your general availability so I can let our engineers know and plan around your schedule. 

Thanks,

Liz

OK, our VOIP team didn't see any patterns related to your dropped calls so as expected, they want to get on a call with you for live data capture. Please let me know when you're available so the engineers can prepare.

-Liz

Good morning MsJ469,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns and want to live troubleshoot with us, please start a new thread and let me know your availability.

Thanks,

Liz