Hughesnet Community

Volcano disruption

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dtompos1

Volcano disruption

I was told I had to wait 5 business days for tech support to look at my account because of the volcano. Are there other support numbers not need an active volcano?
7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm not really sure what a volcano would have to do with service in the US, but I've heard stranger things said by phone reps.  

What is the issue you're experiencing?  

Edit:  As metioned below, a volcanic eruption has caused the area a call center is in to be evacuated.  

MarkJFine
Professor

@Dtompos1 wrote:
I was told I had to wait 5 business days for tech support to look at my account because of the volcano. Are there other support numbers not need an active volcano?

Lol... wut?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

The mayon volcano. interrupted a call center in the Philippines. A lot of people had to be evacuated.

GabeU

@gokartergo24 wrote:

The mayon volcano. interrupted a call center in the Philippines. A lot of people had to be evacuated.

Yep.  I just read that and was coming back to edit my post.  😞  

well... three things about this bother me.

1. I just did a search and nothing recent came up.

2. I hope the people are safe, but why wasn't all the calls to that center rerouted somewhere else?

3. If it was rerouted, why was it sent to a center that couldn't do anything?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@Dtompos1 - if you have a case that was escalated to our advanced support technicians for investigation and a callback, it may take a couple of days for them to call you regarding the case. The recent eruption does not directly affect that. I will look up your account and review the recent calls to determine why this was said.

@MarkJFine

1. I just did a search and nothing recent came up. ---- Sadly the news forgets things pretty fast. Local and official reports are probably the only ways to keep up now 

2. I hope the people are safe, but why wasn't all the calls to that center rerouted somewhere else? ----They have been - but consider this... you go on vacation with 3 bags, but one bag rips. Now you have to figure out some way to put the 3rd bags contents into the other two.

3. If it was rerouted, why was it sent to a center that couldn't do anything? ---- I believe OPs experience is a one off - the center in question is not responsible for callbacks so that shouldn't make a difference.

GabeU

@Dtompos1

From your Facebook post I understand you're having speed issues.  To address speed issues, the reps here will need a few speed test results from Testmy.net, and using a specific protocol, which will be outlined below.  But, a few specific things.  Please be sure to run the tests while signed into an account you've created at testmy.net (this will keep the results in one place and make them easily viewable).  Please be sure to run the tests with a single device that is connected directly to the modem with a LAN cable.  Also, please disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.  If you don't know how to do so, instructions will be below.  Please be sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the 4MB manual test size for upload tests, though the download tests are the more important of the two.  

To disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see Section 6 in this PDF.  Please also make sure to disable each of the four radios individually, as in uncheck SSID Enable for the 2.4GHz radio, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for each of the other three in the same way.  If you uncheck SSID Enable for all four, then click Save Settings, the settings may not hold, so it's important to disable each radio individually, though please still disable all four.  

The protocol for the speed tests, much of which is mentioned above, is as follows...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.