cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

Highlighted
JLH

WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

My new (6 weeks old) ASUS RT-N56U dual-band wireless router worked fine for 5 weeks. Then the escalating connectivity problems that I should have paid more attention to in the Amazon.com feedback set in.   Two laptops, both with same problem of lack of access to -- or constant dropping of connection with internet -- even when other indications  (network map, etc). are that there's a successful connection.
     I worked through diagnostics with ASUS support staff:  "it's working"     Also had the advance diagnostics done through Hughes Home Tech Support:  " "Its working"     The problem is with settings for DHCP and WAN, and the synchronization between Hughes modem and ASUS.  Sounds like Hugher Home Tech Support can fix... for $99-.   
      Before I sink in more than the price of the router on that fix, has anyone encountered this problem... and have advice on some steps I might try?    I'm suspecting, based on some Amazon customer feedback, that use of Automatic IP is part of the problem...  Meanwhile, when I also investigate buying a new Router instead, I'm beginning to wonder if the dual-band routers present configuration problems with Hughes that I never had with the old 802.11g LinkSys router.  We're having a lousy time streaming Netflix during primetime hours, so maybe I can live with the old, still functioning router?   Thanks for any advice on this! 
13 REPLIES 13
New Poster

Re: WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

you need to install the 3rd party firmware from Merlin and it will fix this issue. here is the link just select the correct model and download it, extract the files and flash the firmware to your router using the same method as you would the Asus firmware.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin
JLH

Re: WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

Thank you, Charles!  This sounds very promising, but the RT-N56U is not among the model numbers.  What I do see is "RT-AC56U."   I see in the "Read me" file that there is some "equivalency," but it's not clear that  the RT-AC56U fix is likely to work for my RT-N56U, is it?
NOTE: all the "R" versions (for example RT-N66R) are the same as their  "U" counterparts, they are just different packages aimed at large  retailers.
  I'm also a little concerned about the varied "scripts" I see described in "Read me" file.  I know enough to be able to have honed in on basic nature of problem, seeing the ISP DHCP error message in log file, etc., but wonder if I might get in over my head if a lot of customization is needed in using Merlin firmward.

Assistant Professor

May want to give the Padavan software a try: http://drivers.softpedia.com/blog/Alternative-firmware-for-Asus-RT-N56U-N600-RT-N65U-and-RT-N14U-460...

Doesn't look like Merlin supports the N-56U. Also my dual-band Asus RT-AC56R router has no issues with HughesNet on Merlin firmware. I would definitely try a custom firmware such as Padavan before giving up on the router entirely.
New Poster

good catch, I saw Asus but didn't check the model
Alum

Hi JLH,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting! I see that our other community members were able to address your concerns. If you have any other questions let us know and we'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
Chris
JLH

Hi Chris -- I can't tell if you are a Hughes employee or a sort of go-between as an "Official Rep."  In an case, I am very grateful to the suggestions I received from Charles McCool and sgoshe, and for your offer of additional help.  I did look into the Padavan software and started download process, etc., but it appeared that I was venturing into territory over my technical head.  I have returned that ASUS  router.

I just  searched Hughes FAQ re: routers -- wish I had checked that first -- and see that the "con" of my ASUS model is its set-up!  I'm leaning towards the Cisco LINKSYS E1200 now, especially as I see Hughes recommended it not long ago.

What I also see searching the Hughes website is that there used to be, as part of the Tools section, some instructions on how to set up routers with Hughes service.  That  information appears to be gone, though I found, through Search, three old documents on Hughes, two trouble-shooting specific aspects of router set-up and use, and one more generic, but the latter refers to the no longer available tools.

I feel compelled to add that along with gratitude for the support I received through the Hughes.net Community, I am left with an unaddressed concern, indeed (not re: the Community members'responses, but re: Hughes.net):   I am paying Hughes $1200/year for Internet service. (I live in a rural area that ended up not getting any cable Broadband option, and my work requires more than rudimentary internet access.  (Well, actually, $10/ month of that is not the ISP service, but rental of equipment, as we had been led to believe that cable was coming in within a year or two of our signing up for Hughes... many years ago.)   In any case, my unfortunate decision on equipment rental and total annual cost aside,  I'm guessing that most all Hughes.net customers must end up using routers, yet "we're on our own" -- and Hughes.net Community -- re: set-up and configuration info for what is more or less an essential "accessory" in order to USE Hughes.net.

The ASUS router WAN set-up page had a section for ISP-specific setting (and the problem was very much with how ISP was interfacing with the router), and yet directly receiving from Hughes Tech Support even the WAN "ISP-specific" settings was going to cost $99-  I know I needed additional help beyond just those settings, but it would seem, one way or another, SOME more of the  basic Router WAN set-up info should be routinely provided. 

So, again, THANK you, Hughes.net community members  for your generosity of time to respond, even if I couldn't implement the suggestions.  But something still doesn't feel right on the corporate "customer care" side:   Frustrating and expensive -- the $99- "offer" was just the last straw...and I am left still needing to spend some more time to get a new router set up...to see how/if that works... 
New Poster

Please before buying a Cisco LINKSYS E1200 look at the ASUS RT-AC68R, merlin does work on it and I have none of the problems you had listed, once I set it up Ive not hat to touch it except for unplugging it during a storm
Assistant Professor

The E1200 is a very good "basic" router but like Charles says, there are better choices especially if you want to have dual-band capability.

Did you ever try the Padavan firmware on your N56U?
JLH

Coming to grips that "Basic" is me at this point...   In any case, rationalizing a bit further, we can't use a 5Ghz band for streaming videos on the TV (even though it's a very new model...discovered it's not large enough screen to be 5Ghz band compatible), so dual-band capacity is not so critical.   As for Padavan, I got stuck (or bailed) at selecting download, as I recall...I've made note of other ASUS model, though, Charles, if/when we need additional upgrade.  Thank you both, again.