cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

Freshman

Re: WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

Glad I found this - having really seriously slow speeds through my own ASUS RT-N56U. Hoping this firmware upgrade will make it so I don't have to replace it. Mine is three years old, though, and worked adequately enough a long time (until I put it out here... though I guess there have been intermittent problems forever, a lot were a faulty DSL connection at our old house. How many were the router - not sure. Replacement router/modem combos from ISP still had same problems...
JLH

Re: WAN and DHCP settings to regain stable connectivity/synchronization with ASUS RT-N56U router?

hi Lisa -- Sounds like you may be having different set of problems IF you're not getting the error messages about DHCP settings, etc.  The folks responding to my initial problem know far more than I do, and, after three years, maybe all you do need is the firmware upgrade. 

I gave up on the ASUS router after six or so weeks, including as I was not willing to pay Hughes tech support $99- to be told what settings  to change (and whatever else they were going to need to do).  Instead, I read all the relevant Hughes postings about routers -- should have done that before -- saw they semi-recently recommended LINKSYS N300 E1200 router.  Given it turned out our TV can't use the 5 GHz band anyway and there's no gaming here, I decided to take a chance with a lower-capacity, single-band router.  It works much better (including for Netflix -- we set Netfix picture quality on Netflix site to lowest), and was much easier to set up -- but, again, your situation and router needs may be different than ours!  Good luck!
Freshman

So... I found this on the side where it has similar discussions... and noticed my router's brand and model number. I thought to myself, "at this point you are planning to replace it, so if you brick it anyhow, it isn't any great loss..."

I had to download it directly through the modem of course. And we were running late, so hubby showed up as I started the firmware update and asked what I was doing. Begged for three minutes plus time for ONE speed test...

Freshman

Isn't it pretty? I love this firmware! Happy, happy, happy. I am really an easy woman - get me lots of neat toys (from my electric piano and electric keyboard to my DSLR, to my power tools (love my Dewalt cordless drill - birthday last year) to my laptop, tablet, e-readers...) and please, all that is good in the universe, make them work right! <