WARNING; Beware Latest HughesNet Phishing Email "About Your Mailbox"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

WARNING; Beware Latest HughesNet Phishing Email "About Your Mailbox"

Beware this latest Phishing attack, which may have appeared in your HughesNet Email Inbox early this morning:
These phony Emails are not sent by HughesNet. Instead, they're sent by some scammer trying to trick you into revealing personal information, or infect your computer with a virus.

Although the visible link, https;//hughes.net/secure_update/, may appear to be legitimate, you'll see that the real, hidden web site URL behind it displayed along the bottom of the screen capture above is http://cantarosdelprado.com.uy/css/images/3/hughesnet/index.htm (I modified the link to make it unreachable).

You can see the hidden link behind any visible link simply by floating your mouse cursor over the visible link (Don't Click On It!). In this case, the link leads to some hacked/infected web site in Uruguay. (A .uy domain)

Also note that the forged To: akray@hughes.net Email address is most likely not your real @hughes.net Email address, and the From: svr@born.com Email address is totally bogus..

Don't fall victim to these thieves and criminals. Don't trust anything that falls into your inbox simply because it "looks" to be legitimate. Simply delete the Email and congratulate yourself for avoiding yet another Internet scam to steal from you.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
15 REPLIES 15
OleSmokey
New Poster

What a situation. Thunderbird thinks you message is a scam. Makes you afraid to click on anything. But I clicked and here I am in familiar territory. 🙂

OleSmokey
HughesNetCorpor

Thank you!!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Looks like the Get Satisfaction web site "helpfully reversed" my effort to disable that link. Please,  everyone, DO NOT click on the link!
Amanda

Lol! I will edit them for you.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited, but if people are selecting, copying and pasting the url it will still work.. 😕
animals1212

what happens if you copy and pasted it not knowing this was a scam ?
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

IDK, what would happen. I didn't try to go there.

Why did you/would you want to do that?
animals1212

I didn't know it was a scam !  jerk !
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Thanks for the info.  It's great when those who see these things let the rest of us know it's out there.  Thanks again. 
GabeU

He was asking a legitimate question.  Replying in such a way was completely uncalled for. 

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

what happens if you copy and pasted it not knowing this was a scam ?
Well, shoot the messenger. He can answer his own question about what happens since he apparently visited the site and I did not.

If he caught a virus or gave out his personal info, maybe next time he'll know better and look closer at these kinds of Emails before he makes that mistake again.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The entire topic was to inform of a scam/phishing email going around.

When the sign says "don't feed the bears" common sense says ... leave the bears alone.

There are certain "rules of survival" when dealing with computers, internet and email.

> Look at everything with a healthy of skepticism<

>Never click on a link in an email message<

>Never open email attachments except under controlled circumstances<

If your friends computer became infected with a virus the first thing the virus would do would be to replicate itself by sending an email with an attachment.

That email would appear to come from a friend or known source.

My policy is to have my friends include a key phrase in the emails subject line if an attachment is included.

If there is no key phrase included I discard the email because I have no assurance that my friend intended  to include the attachment.

GabeU

My policy is to have my friends include a key phrase in the emails subject line if an attachment is included.

That's a really good idea.  I've never had an instance of the aforementioned happening as I don't receive too many personal emails and am pretty vigilant about what I trust and don't trust, but still, this is a very good idea.

I did, though, receive the happy99.exe worm that was attached to an email from my dad way back in 2000 or 2001.  A completely harmless worm, and somewhat comical, but still....  It's the last actual infection I've ever had on a computer, save malware.     

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The default setting is "hide extension for known file types"

The is needs to be unchecked

If you look at an attachment named "picture of grandma.jpg" and its real filename is "picture of grandma.jpg.exe" ....

You have a dangerous executable masquerading as a jpg picture:

GabeU

Does this setting affect attachments in the mail app for Windows?  Unchecking that is one of the things I change when I set up a computer, but because I always have it unchecked, I don't know if it makes any difference in the mail app for Windows, and I don't presently have any emails with attachments to see by checking and unchecking. 

frsystems

I never click on an email that will lead to a location that will lead to my personal information.  I just received one of these type emails and came here to post about it but it's nice to see that the community is already aware. 

A lot of hacking is going on over at Amazon.com right now.  People are clicking on links that are making their personal information highly accessible.  Once they receive the information they take over your account by changing the password and financial information if applicable.