WARNING: HUGHESNET PHISHING SCAM

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

WARNING: HUGHESNET PHISHING SCAM

I didn't know where else to place this but I wanted to get it out. This isn't Data Managment but labels are limited. Not sure what else to do with it.

Openned my mail this morning, January 6, 2019, to find an email labeled from Hughes stating I needed to update all my information, of course, paying special attention to my credit card info. Some how it didn't seem right that Hughes would send me this request from 'MR-23@COX.NET'

It was the return addy at COX that was a bit of a tip off. I thought that while waiting for me to send my info these people might get bored so I forwarded a copy of the book 'Effective Feature Writing'. Actually, my virtual machine sent them 90,000 copies of the book and an attachment of MEMZ virus labled 'Credit/Bank'. What scammer can resist a peak at files that could maybe have something they want?

Hughes says they don't ask for credit card information like this but I could see someone falling for this.

Made mistake of using COX.NETMade mistake of using COX.NET

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The grammar and spelling are amusing. 

@dfbeck wrote:

I didn't know where else to place this but I wanted to get it out. This isn't Data Managment but labels are limited. Not sure what else to do with it.

Openned my mail this morning, January 6, 2019, to find an email labeled from Hughes stating I needed to update all my information, of course, paying special attention to my credit card info.

And Noam Rafaelli is a Technical VP with Comcast.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine wrote:

And Noam Rafaelli is a Technical VP with Comcast.

Seems that the senders of this email have made many preventable ID-10t errors. More quality control (and possibly more cowbell)  is needed in the world of scamming. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

For those reading this thread: Never click on an email direct link to update anything. Go to the known secure company site and login there to check/update your information.

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

For those reading this thread: Never click on an email direct link to update anything. Go to the known secure company site and login there to check/update your information.

Wait.  You mean I shouldn't have clicked on that link to update my Microsoft information?  But it warned me that they would close the account within an hour of reading the email!  I mean, it said, "Please reply us", so I did.  Darnit!!!  😛 

Picture-121.jpg

maratsade

I replied to one such email and now I'm in this great financial partnership with a Nigerian prince. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I replied to one such email and now I'm in this great financial partnership with a Nigerian prince. 

You, too?  That's MY 3.5%, darnit!!!!  Dr. Clement Okon is working with me!!!!  😛

maratsade

I'm with his brother Rupert. There's plenty of money to go around! 

@GabeU wrote:

You, too?  That's MY 3.5%, darnit!!!!  Dr. Clement Okon is working with me!!!!  😛

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I'm with his brother Rupert. There's plenty of money to go around! 

@GabeU wrote:

Ahhh.  Well, then.  I know brother Rupert has his own money, so that's okay.  😛

Along that same line, the email scammers have developed the ability to read the to's and from's in your email and when they find email that looks like it's on a more personal level, like someone you know, they put that name in the 'from' spot on your email. It will read something like, "Dave thought you might be interested in this" which entices most people to open it which is bad. It most likely will contain a  nasty executable file to steal all the names and addys from your mail box, launch a key logger, or plant a nasty virus just for spite. Delete them unless your friend confirms it's from them.

Avoid the scammers

Dave

I don't know about the location those emails are sent from but if you receive a phone call from the Windows Technical Administration telling you they've registered a problem with your computer that's causing problems nation-wide, that's coming from New Dehli most likely though they'll tell you Las Vegas.

I don't think the email people will ever improve their grammar or spelling. At least I hope they don't, there are too many people who don't know any better and end up firing off all their personal info including their credit card numbers. By coincidence my wife's debt card just got hacked to the tune of $91 and some change. We don't have a clue since she has never shopped on line.

Avoid the scammers

Dave

Really? Do you know that Comcast person? Did you tell them they are in cahoots with some email scammers and that it looks really bad on a resume? Actually, names are really easy to come by. That's pretty typical, the name of a Comcast tech with a Cox return address. Problem is many, many people don't look that close. I didn't look that close long ago and had a hard drive destroyed so now I LOOK!

Dave

Thank you for the heads up dfbeck, we'll make sure the e-mail team is given this information if they don't have it already.

---

side note: 

And Noam Rafaelli is a Technical VP with Comcast

I didn't know I worked for Comcast now...

And I've probably posted this here before but this is a short 10 min hilarious TED Talk about spam email - https://youtu.be/_QdPW8JrYzQ 

maratsade

@maratsade wrote:

@dfbeck wrote:

Openned my mail this morning, January 6, 2019, to find an email labeled from Hughes stating I needed to update all my information, of course, paying special attention to my credit card info.

Gee, I thought my speeling was pretty good. I used Grammarly.

@maratsade wrote:

@dfbeck wrote:

Gee, I thought my speeling was pretty good. I used Grammarly.