cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY is hughesnet speed performance so damn slow ? I probably will be breaking my contract with Hughesnet

WHY is hughesnet speed performance so damn slow ? I probably will be breaking my contract with Hughesnet

WHY is Hughesnet speed performance so damn slow ? I never had such slow performance with Comcast internet plus Comcast prices were better .  I probably will be breaking my contract with Hughesnet,ridiculous !!the speed and connection shouldn't be this slow , very disappointed as a new customer !!!!!
14 REPLIES 14
Assistant Professor

Re: WHY is hughesnet speed performance so damn slow ? I probably will be breaking my contract with Hughesnet

What is slow? Speed tests results from Testmy.net 12 MB manual download test? Are boxes at top of page green when going here: http://192.168.0.1/  ?

If you switched from ground based cable to satellite then not a wise choice. Have heard bad things about Comcast though so maybe you thought it was worth a try. Latency alone on satellite will make things seem slow if accustomed to ground based internet.
Highlighted
Spectator

Re: WHY is hughesnet speed performance so damn slow ? I probably will be breaking my contract with Hughesnet

I'm noticing the slow speed as well. Even during the Free Time (HN9000) from 2 AM to 7 AM... The speed was like a crawl from 2 AM to 4 AM & from 5 AM to current time of 6:25 AM. I can't even get emails into my mail program. At 2 AM to 4 AM... I was having to get 1 email, refresh mail program, delete the one I got & refresh & get the next one. This is getting really old. I wish I could switch to someone else. Were I live no one offers internet service besides HughesNet. I found out that Excede is also HughesNet. And now at 6:25 AM, I can't even connect to get my emails.

The incoming mail server 'mail.hughes.net' does not respond, please try again later. If this problem persist, contact your Internet Service Provider. (What a joke that is)

Socket Error: 10060, Port: 110, Protocol: Pop. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established.

Hi candms84

Many people move from the city to the country having had cable internet and it is understandable they would compare the two internet services. Such as BirdDog mentioned, there is a higher travel time on satellite internet which makes the time between when you request a webpage and when you receive it. With cable and fiber the travel time is less because it is all done on the ground, so you get the pages faster. HughesNet does utilize SmartTechnologies to help combat this.

We should look into your concerns however in case the slow speeds are not related to this. Have you had a chance to run any speed tests from http://supportcenter.myhughesnet.com? Try a few if not. If that website does work for you for some reason, you can follow the instructions for speed test here: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Thanks
Amanda
Distinguished Professor I

Comcast actually let you leave? They're notorious for their heavy-handed retention practices, reminiscent of AOL in the 90s.  If you have cable, then you ought to get cable. Satellite internet is not cable,as it works differently, and it is a different beast that may require more user involvement. The Hughesnet folks here will help you if you give them the data they ask for, and you will have a better experience (I find my connections and speeds quite satisfactory), but it will not be like ground-based cable.
Assistant Professor

"I found out that Excede is also HughesNet." Um, no. They are are two completely different companies but they do employ similar technologies for satellite internet.

Kimberly, you should start your own post if wanting help with email problem.

We moved from the city to a rural area in North Mississippi , very limited access !!!  

Be prepared to pay a high early termination fee!!! Did you know about that?

yes !!!
Assistant Professor

candms84, the speed tests Amanda requested would really help. Also, you're not over your monthly allowance are you? Are boxes green at top of page here:  http://192.168.0.1/  ?