cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

InvalidUsername
New Poster

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

I turned off my computer and disconnected the LAN cable today to go outside to work. Usage was at 88%. I came back inside, restarted and it was at 83%. I started surfing and within 5 minutes or so it was at 77%. All I did was read a few webpages with no video, WTH is going on?
35 REPLIES 35
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

Probably the system playing catch-up.  The reps on this site (@Liz , @Remy , @Damian ) can look into this and help. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@InvalidUsername 

Is anything connected via WiFi?  

You can see devices that are and were connected since the last time the modem was plugged in on this modem page.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
InvalidUsername
New Poster

WIFI is turned off
InvalidUsername
New Poster

Thanks for tagging those guys. Catch up I can understand, but I normally used 100-250 MB per day under Gen 3 and rarely exceeded 400 MB. I'm 5 days into my 2nd month of a Gen 5 upgrade, but I haven't changed how I use the internet at all. I'm very disciplined to keep it around 100-250 MB. But so far I'm at 77% (23 GB) after only 5 days. Haven't changed a thing from Gen 3 days..
Remy

InvalidUsername,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'd love to look into this for you but we need some more info first. Please private message me your SAN (account number) or the associated phone number to this link so I can figure out what's going on!

Thanks,

Remy

InvalidUsername
New Poster

Remy, there's no way I've used 2.3 GB in 5 days. I haven't changed a thing since Gen 3, and under Gen 3 in 5 days I would have used about 1.2 GB. (about 250 MB/day). You can check my 8-9 year history to verify that is correct. I haven't changed my habits at all. In fact I am more cautious, almost paranoid, since I started noticing that more data was being consumed in the last 10 days of my first month of Gen 5 (first 20 days no data was charged). I check the meter constantly and avoid videos as much as possible. If more data is being consumed it's because of Hughes, not me.
Remy

InvalidUsername,

From what I'm seeing, each day between 225 and 375mb were used. I'd strongly recommend downloading Glasswire onto your device, to see what may be using the data. There is no difference in how data is consumed between Gen3 and Gen5 plans.

Thanks,

Remy

InvalidUsername
New Poster

If Gen 3 and Gen 5 work the same then it must be defective equipment or poorly aligned satellite dish or something hardware related. I haven't changed anything since Gen 3 and then I rarely used more than 250 MB per day. I monitored it closely. Based on this below, I request that a mod run remote diagnostics >Data used in the re-transmission of your data due to failing equipment< For this we need to start a topic and tag one of the Mods and ask that they run remote diagnostics on your system. It is possible for data that you have sent or requested to have to be retransmitted thereby using excess data. This can be due to failing modem/transmitter or poor aim among other things.
Remy

InvalidUsername,

Gen3 and Gen5 run at different speeds, but different speeds do not affect how data is consumed. From the diagnostics I've run, I've noticed no irregularities in data consumption. I'd strongly recommend downloading Glasswire, so the amount of data that is stated on the application can be compared to the amount of data being consumed in total.

Thanks,

Remy