Hughesnet Community

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InvalidUsername
New Poster

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

I turned off my computer and disconnected the LAN cable today to go outside to work. Usage was at 88%. I came back inside, restarted and it was at 83%. I started surfing and within 5 minutes or so it was at 77%. All I did was read a few webpages with no video, WTH is going on?
37 REPLIES 37

"LOL, or maybe it means they are tired of trying to help you when you won't cooperate. They can't say that because they are attached to Hughes, but I am not. I am just a regular member like you. Windows 7 is not even supported by Microsoft, no updates or virus protection. You could have a virus or malware using your data." 

I've done everything that's been asked. I installed Glasswire yesterday. That should have been obvious from my previous comment.

Blaming this on a virus is just a lame excuse and a distraction. Everything worked fine until I upgraded. It's not credible that I suddenly got a virus.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fox12 wrote:

LOL, or maybe it means they are tired of trying to help you when you won't cooperate.
They can't say that because they are attached to Hughes, but I am not. I am just a regular member like you.
Windows 7 is not even supported by Microsoft, no updates or virus protection. You could have a virus or malware using your data.

maratsade and I are no more attached to Hughes than you.  

GabeU

@InvalidUsername wrote:
That's a shame, a mod deleted my comment. Must mean my hypothesis is correct.

It has nothing to do with your hypothesis.  Your comment was assuredly removed for being offensive:  i.e. your choice of metaphor.  There's no need for it.  This is a support forum and public.  Please keep that in mind.

"It has nothing to do with your hypothesis.  Your comment was assuredly removed for being offensive:  i.e. your choice of metaphor.  There's no need for it.  This is a support forum and public.  Please keep that in mind."

I guess people can be offended at anything, but that's really silly to be offended by the metaphor I used. It described well the feeling I have when I am unable to control my data flow. lol

maratsade

Have you given some serious thought to getting Linux? I have Linux Mint installed on a device and it's very good. 

Well yeah. That was my plan for the Win 10 laptop, but it wouldn't let me do an acceptable dual boot with linux. Can't remember what the deal-breaker problem was, but it became too much of a hassle so I said screw it.

maratsade

I decided to just have a wholly Linux machine. I think Windows (at least in my experience), doesn't play well with other operating systems. 

@InvalidUsername wrote:

Well yeah. That was my plan for the Win 10 laptop, but it wouldn't let me do an acceptable dual boot with linux. Can't remember what the deal-breaker problem was, but it became too much of a hassle so I said screw it.

16 days into my monthly period and I am at a little less than 50% usage, so things are going well at the moment. I wish the usage meter had better resolution than 100 MB, but I have found a work around. Usage Remaining under the System Summary section on the System Status page has a resolution of 1 MB. So that's good because it will allow me to closely watch how I use data throughout the day.

maratsade

Great to hear it's working for you now. 

@InvalidUsername wrote:

16 days into my monthly period and I am at a little less than 50% usage, so things are going well at the moment.

So how long do I run Glasswire? It obviously can't look back in time.
GabeU

@InvalidUsername wrote:
So how long do I run Glasswire? It obviously can't look back in time.

As long as it takes.  It uses no data, so there's no reason you can't leave it on your system permanently.  

I'm getting the feeling that Hughes really doesn't want customers knowing how much data they're really using because trying to pin that down with only a 100 MB resolution on the usage meter is pretty worthless. If the meter says 77% of 10 GB I can't tell if that means I've used 2300 MB or 2399MB. That's 100 MB of data, which is about half of what I used to use in one day under Gen 3. Big fuzzy area that keeps you from really knowing what you've used.. The Gen 3 usage meter had 1 MB resolution, so it was pretty useful.. I guess it's going to boil down to how well I can surf when my 10 MB runs out, which at this pace will be in about 10 days shy of a month because there's no way I can control how much it uses to keep from going over limit, even being as conservative and careful as I am.

btw it sucks if Hughes is charging for re-transmissions. It's their equipment and if it's not working right, they should flag it and not charge customers for it.

It also sucks that we have to limit watching videos and spend our lives monitoring a service we pay a lot for and still have to worry how much data we use. SUCKS badly!

maratsade

It's satellite internet. It's not ideal for streaming; can't change that as it's related to the signal coming such a long distance from space.  The price is related to the cost of putting together the technology.

Contact your representatives in Congress and demand that they incentivise  the cable companies so they will come to your area and offer their services. Contact the cable companies themselves and ask them why they're not interested in coming to rural areas. 

HughesNet  is there to cover the absence of other companies. Without it, you'd have zilch. 

@ohiogurl62 wrote:

It also sucks that we have to limit watching videos and spend our lives monitoring a service we pay a lot for and still have to worry how much data we use. 

GabeU

@InvalidUsername 

Is anything connected via WiFi?  

You can see devices that are and were connected since the last time the modem was plugged in on this modem page.   

WIFI is turned off