Hughesnet Community

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InvalidUsername
New Poster

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

I turned off my computer and disconnected the LAN cable today to go outside to work. Usage was at 88%. I came back inside, restarted and it was at 83%. I started surfing and within 5 minutes or so it was at 77%. All I did was read a few webpages with no video, WTH is going on?
37 REPLIES 37
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Probably the system playing catch-up.  The reps on this site (@Liz , @Remy , @Damian ) can look into this and help. 

Thanks for tagging those guys. Catch up I can understand, but I normally used 100-250 MB per day under Gen 3 and rarely exceeded 400 MB. I'm 5 days into my 2nd month of a Gen 5 upgrade, but I haven't changed how I use the internet at all. I'm very disciplined to keep it around 100-250 MB. But so far I'm at 77% (23 GB) after only 5 days. Haven't changed a thing from Gen 3 days..

InvalidUsername,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I'd love to look into this for you but we need some more info first. Please private message me your SAN (account number) or the associated phone number to this link so I can figure out what's going on!

Thanks,

Remy

Remy, there's no way I've used 2.3 GB in 5 days. I haven't changed a thing since Gen 3, and under Gen 3 in 5 days I would have used about 1.2 GB. (about 250 MB/day). You can check my 8-9 year history to verify that is correct. I haven't changed my habits at all. In fact I am more cautious, almost paranoid, since I started noticing that more data was being consumed in the last 10 days of my first month of Gen 5 (first 20 days no data was charged). I check the meter constantly and avoid videos as much as possible. If more data is being consumed it's because of Hughes, not me.

InvalidUsername,

From what I'm seeing, each day between 225 and 375mb were used. I'd strongly recommend downloading Glasswire onto your device, to see what may be using the data. There is no difference in how data is consumed between Gen3 and Gen5 plans.

Thanks,

Remy

If Gen 3 and Gen 5 work the same then it must be defective equipment or poorly aligned satellite dish or something hardware related. I haven't changed anything since Gen 3 and then I rarely used more than 250 MB per day. I monitored it closely. Based on this below, I request that a mod run remote diagnostics >Data used in the re-transmission of your data due to failing equipment< For this we need to start a topic and tag one of the Mods and ask that they run remote diagnostics on your system. It is possible for data that you have sent or requested to have to be retransmitted thereby using excess data. This can be due to failing modem/transmitter or poor aim among other things.

InvalidUsername,

Gen3 and Gen5 run at different speeds, but different speeds do not affect how data is consumed. From the diagnostics I've run, I've noticed no irregularities in data consumption. I'd strongly recommend downloading Glasswire, so the amount of data that is stated on the application can be compared to the amount of data being consumed in total.

Thanks,

Remy

So basically you are admitting that Gen 5 does work differently than Gen 3 because something using data in my system was not an issue at all under Gen 3. Never. Now apparently it is. That's something Hughes is doing, not me.
GabeU

@InvalidUsername wrote:
So basically you are admitting that Gen 5 does work differently than Gen 3 because something using data in my system was not an issue at all under Gen 3. Never. Now apparently it is. That's something Hughes is doing, not me.

It "works differently" in that it provides faster speed.  This means that, for any particular time online, you can use more data with Gen5 than with Gen3 when it comes to things that use data perpetually, like some ads.  

The bottom line is this: without a program to monitor the internet data your computer uses you have no way to know for sure.  This is what Glasswire does.

I use Adblock, so I basically don't know what an ad looks like. Also, NoScript to minimize that kind of traffic. Also Ghostery to block other stuff.
GabeU

@InvalidUsername 

A couple of other Windows things that can use data are Syncing and Delivery Optimization.  I'd check to see if they're on, and if they are, but you don't have need for them, turn them off.  Your browser may also be syncing, and it's the same with that, as in you can turn the browser syncing off if you don't need it.

With Glasswire, make sure to set the options as shown below so that when viewing the results you only see the internet data the computer is using rather than including data that's being transferred back and forth in the computer itself.  

You can also ignore the firewall settings.  Glasswire isn't a firewall itself, it just gives access to Windows' built in firewall, but it doesn't change anything unless the user does so themselves.

Glasswire.jpeg

I don't use Syncing or Delivery Optimization that I am aware of

Delivery Optimization must be Win 10. I use Win 7
GabeU

@InvalidUsername wrote:
Delivery Optimization must be Win 10. I use Win 7

You may want to consider upgrading to Windows 10 for the sake of security.  It's still a free upgrade.  

I've done Windows since 3.1 and I'm over it. I actually bought a laptop with 10 on it and took it back because it pissed me off so bad. I'll stick with 7, or go linux.

That's a shame, a mod deleted my comment. Must mean my hypothesis is correct.

LOL, or maybe it means they are tired of trying to help you when you won't cooperate.
They can't say that because they are attached to Hughes, but I am not. I am just a regular member like you.
Windows 7 is not even supported by Microsoft, no updates or virus protection. You could have a virus or malware using your data.

maratsade

Comments are removed when they violate community guidelines and/or community terms of service. This is a privately owned site, and the moderators have the legal right to moderate content, up to and including its removal.

It would benefit the OP to install the free Glasswire software as was suggested.  Remy can't help until the OP installs the software. After that, the OP needs to run the software over a day or so of normal internet usage, and post screenshots. 

@fox12 wrote:

LOL, or maybe it means they are tired of trying to help you when you won't cooperate.
They can't say that because they are attached to Hughes, but I am not. I am just a regular member like you.
Windows 7 is not even supported by Microsoft, no updates or virus protection. You could have a virus or malware using your data.

"Comments are removed when they violate community guidelines and/or community terms of service. This is a privately owned site, and the moderators have the legal right to moderate content, up to and including its removal."

Yeah I get that, but there was nothing offensive in the post. All I did was speculate as to what was causing the problem. That it was removed is very sus

maratsade

That's your opinion, meaning that the mods may have a different one.   Your speculations themselves may violate community rules.  They're also a bit silly.

@InvalidUsername wrote:

Yeah I get that, but there was nothing offensive in the post. All I did was speculate as to what was causing the problem. That it was removed is very sus