cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

InvalidUsername
New Poster

Re: WTH is going on? 11 GB disappeared today.

btw it sucks if Hughes is charging for re-transmissions. It's their equipment and if it's not working right, they should flag it and not charge customers for it.
InvalidUsername
New Poster

So basically you are admitting that Gen 5 does work differently than Gen 3 because something using data in my system was not an issue at all under Gen 3. Never. Now apparently it is. That's something Hughes is doing, not me.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@InvalidUsername wrote:
So basically you are admitting that Gen 5 does work differently than Gen 3 because something using data in my system was not an issue at all under Gen 3. Never. Now apparently it is. That's something Hughes is doing, not me.

It "works differently" in that it provides faster speed.  This means that, for any particular time online, you can use more data with Gen5 than with Gen3 when it comes to things that use data perpetually, like some ads.  

The bottom line is this: without a program to monitor the internet data your computer uses you have no way to know for sure.  This is what Glasswire does.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
InvalidUsername
New Poster

So how long do I run Glasswire? It obviously can't look back in time.
InvalidUsername
New Poster

I use Adblock, so I basically don't know what an ad looks like. Also, NoScript to minimize that kind of traffic. Also Ghostery to block other stuff.
GabeU

@InvalidUsername wrote:
So how long do I run Glasswire? It obviously can't look back in time.

As long as it takes.  It uses no data, so there's no reason you can't leave it on your system permanently.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@InvalidUsername 

A couple of other Windows things that can use data are Syncing and Delivery Optimization.  I'd check to see if they're on, and if they are, but you don't have need for them, turn them off.  Your browser may also be syncing, and it's the same with that, as in you can turn the browser syncing off if you don't need it.

With Glasswire, make sure to set the options as shown below so that when viewing the results you only see the internet data the computer is using rather than including data that's being transferred back and forth in the computer itself.  

You can also ignore the firewall settings.  Glasswire isn't a firewall itself, it just gives access to Windows' built in firewall, but it doesn't change anything unless the user does so themselves.

Glasswire.jpeg

InvalidUsername
New Poster

I'm getting the feeling that Hughes really doesn't want customers knowing how much data they're really using because trying to pin that down with only a 100 MB resolution on the usage meter is pretty worthless. If the meter says 77% of 10 GB I can't tell if that means I've used 2300 MB or 2399MB. That's 100 MB of data, which is about half of what I used to use in one day under Gen 3. Big fuzzy area that keeps you from really knowing what you've used.. The Gen 3 usage meter had 1 MB resolution, so it was pretty useful.. I guess it's going to boil down to how well I can surf when my 10 MB runs out, which at this pace will be in about 10 days shy of a month because there's no way I can control how much it uses to keep from going over limit, even being as conservative and careful as I am.
InvalidUsername
New Poster

I don't use Syncing or Delivery Optimization that I am aware of
InvalidUsername
New Poster

Delivery Optimization must be Win 10. I use Win 7