cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watts supplied to modem's ac power supply unit?

Timothy Southwa

Watts supplied to modem's ac power supply unit?

I'm off grid, and for 17 years I've rarely used more than 2 kilowatts in one month. I need to decide whether and how to prepare for HughesNet power requirements. So I'm trying first to obtain needed information.Right now, how many watts are being supplied to your modem's ac power supply unit as you download? As you neither upload nor download?
18 REPLIES 18
foxbrook
Sophomore

Re: Watts supplied to modem's ac power supply unit?

I measure 23W for idle and download, up to 26W when uploading.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Have to find my Kill A Watt meter. Will post results when I have it..
Chris11
Alum

Hello Timothy,

I don't know specifically. I could find out. I don't think it's as high as 23W idle. Should be in the 10-15 range idle. I'm sure BirdDog will be able to confirm on his end. I'll let you know if I find out. 

Thanks,
Chris
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I've been looking for it but between the recent move and my old brain I'm having a hard time finding it. May be a day or two before I have an answer.
Timothy Southwa

Please do find out, Chris, the whole answer to my question.
foxbrook
Sophomore

I decided to repeat the measurements with my Xitron 2551 power analyzer. Killawatts are not very accurate at low power levels.

Here is what I got with the modem on but no data cable plugged in, so no upload/download traffic, except what the modem itself might be doing:

During a download:

During an upload:
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Great info foxbrook! Think you're right, my Kill A Watt meter might not be so accurate at that low of a draw.

Nice piece of equipment BTW.
curtis-m
Sophomore

foxbrook,

Thanks. I recently posted that my inverter shows a draw of 9 watts. This was not a big deal since I always turn the modem off when not in use. However, I recently had to keep the modem on for about 72 hours and it seemed to draw more than that 9 watts and mid-20's + seems more likely.

Thanks
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

foxbrook, do you get similar results in bad weather when the modem dips to ~30SQF?  Possible you can keep an eye out on power usage during such events?