Hughesnet Community

We have the highest plan - watch netflix from 8 to 9:30 and we are out of data after 6 days.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mreisel
New Poster

We have the highest plan - watch netflix from 8 to 9:30 and we are out of data after 6 days.

There is something seriously wrong with this internet service.  Our son gave us a firestick for Christmas.  For the first several months we watched without issue.  Then suddenly we were unable to watch anything, almost as though Hughes.net cut us off.  We have the highest plan available and when I look at our usage it says we maxed out after 6 days.  We both work every day and don't even begin using the Firestick until 8:00 p.m.  We stop watching at 9:30 or 10:00.   I am not sure what exactly we are paying for?  Someday we are going to watch something on 60 minutes that talks about how consumers have been ripped off by these service providers.

12 REPLIES 12
Otto
New Poster

You are completly correct! This service is a joke. This company would go broke if it wasn’t for the 2 year contract. I am only keeping it until the contract runs out. I would prefer to pay it off and tell them to shove it but I’m sure that’s exactly what

@mreisel wrote:

There is something seriously wrong with this internet service.  Our son gave us a firestick for Christmas.  For the first several months we watched without issue.  Then suddenly we were unable to watch anything, almost as though Hughes.net cut us off.  We have the highest plan available and when I look at our usage it says we maxed out after 6 days.  We both work every day and don't even begin using the Firestick until 8:00 p.m.  We stop watching at 9:30 or 10:00.   I am not sure what exactly we are paying for?  Someday we are going to watch something on 60 minutes that talks about how consumers have been ripped off by these service providers.

they want.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mreisel 

What you're paying for is an internet service that has a finite amount of high speed data per month, then throttled speed when that data threshold has been reached. 

If you'd like to address the issue at hand by figuring out why one or more of your devices is apparently using more data than before, rather than simply blaming it on HughesNet, please let us know so that we can help you in that endeavor. 

In the meantime, the following topics may be beneficial to you...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

MarkJFine
Professor

Highest plan is 50GB.

6 Days * 1.5-2.0 hrs/day * 5 GB/hr = 45 - 60 GB if you were watching in HD.

Therefore, if you didn't use the Video Saver or manually change to viewing in SD, you would likely run out in 6 days... easily.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

With Netflix, the data usage is up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD.  

Playback set to low will use 0.3 GB per hour per device. Playback set to medium (SD) will use  0.7 GB per hour per device. 

[Source: Netflix.com]

So if several people are using devices to watch stuff, it adds up quickly. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Highest plan is 50GB.

6 Days * 1.5-2.0 hrs/day * 5 GB/hr = 45 - 60 GB if you were watching in HD.

Therefore, if you didn't use the Video Saver or manually change to viewing in SD, you would likely run out in 6 days... easily.

RonDvorak
Sophomore

I agree with this customer. Yes there is issues with HN service. I have yet to get any device to stream smoothly and there response is to turn off the data saver meaning you are going to use more data. Troubleshooting is a joke. I’ve been asked by many how is HN. I’ve told them all to talk to me by end of November before they sign up.
GabeU

@RonDvorak 

The OP's post concerns data usage, not streaming issues.  

There is something seriously wrong with this internet service.

The first sentence in their content is the umbrella, whether it’s streaming or data usage, it appears to be too frequent of an issue with HN
GabeU

@RonDvorak 

Please stop posting unhelpful, unrelated and pointless replies on the thread of someone seeking help. 

We watch "Suits" in SD from Amazon Prime using the Amazon Firestick.  This is 900 MB of data per hour.  We should not be out of data after 6 days.

maratsade

Do you have the Firestick 4K or the regular? I think with both you can see how much data has been used by the Firestick during the last 30 days. 

mreisel wrote:

We watch "Suits" in SD from Amazon Prime using the Amazon Firestick.  This is 900 MB of data per hour.  We should not be out of data after 6 days.

@mreisel wrote:

And you're absolutely certain the firestick has a good wifi connection to the modem that requires no packet resends?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@mreisel 

Is the Firestick the only device that you have connected to HughesNet?  

Just in case, and if you have a device with which to check, you can see what is currently connected, and what was connected, but is no longer, since the last time the HughesNet modem was plugged in, on this page.   

If you have other devices connected, the Firestick may not necessarily be the problem, or even the sole problem.