Hughesnet Community

We just got Hughesnet last Tuesday. It was working fine and Thursday came and now we can only get on a few websites.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marshalockhart

We just got Hughesnet last Tuesday. It was working fine and Thursday came and now we can only get on a few websites.

Okay. So they came last Tuesday to install it. Once we got all hooked up and online everything was working great and then Thursday got here. A tech from direct tv came out to install cable. After he left we noticed the Internet wasn't working right we figured it would blow over and then when we went to use it only a few select sites work. Like Google, yahoo and YouTube and a couple other sites would work but didn't load properly. The direct tv guy swears up and down he didn't mess with anything with the Internet. He even said he tried to get his phone to connect and it wouldn't. I've reset the router and modem both nothing works. So I'm curious if there's any fix to this or am I stuck calling Hughesnet to get a tech out here? All the lights on the router and modem seem to be right and according to the tests on the site everything is okay but it's not working properly. Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Did he hook the DirecTV box up to the HughesNet modem? If so, it may have used up all your data doing updates and such.

When you go here are the boxes at the top green: http://192.168.0.1/ ?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Open the Modems internal SCC (System Control Center) and see if both the icons marked as #1 & #2 are both green and make note of any error conditions listed.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

The good thing is if you are in the first 10-20 days of service your data should refill each day.

Did the DirecTV installer say it was fine to leave their box connected to the internet 24/7?
Chris11
Alum

Hi Marsha,

We appreciate the post! First thing to do has already been laid out by BirdDog and Gwalk. Please make sure to check if the DirecTV box is hooked up to the Hughes system as well. We hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
wmathein

Hey BirdDog? You mentioned maintenance on your dashboard and you've set yours up to get optimum performance. Any tips, tricks, links you'd be willing to share? I'm the "expert" in the household, and I just press buttons until things seem to work. I have no idea what I'm doing...
marshalockhart

I don't think it's hooked up to the moden. At lease not wired it's not. And we have all our data and it still doesn't work. And both those boxes are green.
marshalockhart

Okay the box is hooked up to the Internet.
marshalockhart

They didn't say and I didn't ask didn't think about it.
marshalockhart

Both the boxes are green and as far as the tests on the site are concerned everything should be running fine.
Chris11
Alum

Hi Marsha,

As a test please reboot your modem and plug it directly to one computer and see if you are able to browse. If so, plug in your router next and then try connecting. If it works without the DirecTV box in the equation, it might be the root of what you are experiencing. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Chris
donsjgm
Junior

Hi Marsha,
I have been with DirecTV since they bought out Primestar close to 20 years ago.
If you hook the DirecTV to your HN modem it will use up you data allowance.
DirecTV works fine without being connected to the internet.
Without internet connection you cannot use the remote to buy movies. You must call to buy a movie and if you use the operator they will charge you an extra fee but if you order using the automated service there is no additional charge.

Don  🙂
marshalockhart

Hi Don, well I check my data yesterday morning and it was at 100 percent. I'll check it again after posting this. But just streaming cable will use up the data? Or are you talking about recording or on demand? I don't think we have on demand and if we do, we don't use it. I'm just gonna call Hughesnet and see what they can do for me. This post doesn't seem to be helping much. Thanks for the information Don have a good day (:
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You need to be aware of the fact that Hughes will refill your data allowance daily for the first 10 days (HN9000 Modem) or 20 days (HT1000/1100 Modem)

This is done to allow you to update all your devices with impacting your data allowance when you first connect to the service.

I have both Hughesnet (12 year user) and Directv (since November '94) and I can tell you ... you do NOT want to have any connection between the two systems. None at all !

The directv box will eat your data allowance alive with just program guide updates let alone anything else. Streaming of movies on a data capped service such as Hughesnet has to be done very carefully, very sparingly. Video quality needs to be reduced to the very minimum.

In addition to using your data at an alarming rate if connected, it will also effect your performance in respect to apparent speeds.

Your Hughesnet  "data pipe" is very small compared to ground based services .... That "data pipe" can only support so much activity at any one time. The more you have connected the slower each will become.

While it is possible to view videos and movies on a Hughes connection a user needs to understand the systems limits including data caps.

Videos and movies are very data intensive and can deplete your allowance at an alarming rate.

Simply put, you don't want any connection at all between your Hughes system/network and your Directv service.

marshalockhart

Okay. How do I disconnect my direct tv box from the Internet? I've reset the defaults and the Internet is still connected to the box. I don't really want to reset everything unless it's an absolute must.
marshalockhart

Well Chris, here's the problem the laptop I've got doesn't have a port to plug the Internet cord in. So I don't think I can do the test. Any suggestions?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

First, look on the back of your Router ....

There should be 5 "ports" in total.

One of those ports will be offset a little to one side and will be marked as WAN or "internet" port ... it will have a Ethernet cable that runs from there to the modems LAN port:

Click on picture for larger image:

Rear of Hughesnet Modem:

A cable will run from the Modems LAN or "output port" to the Routers WAN port:

You do want the cable that runs between your router's WAN port and the Modems LAN port as depicted by the red arrow.

Then look carefully at the cables connected to the Routers four "LAN" ports.

It is fine to have a computer "hardwired" to one of these ports.

If you however have a cable that runs from one of those four ports to the rear of your of your Directv receiver you will want to disconnect that one.

Also ... look on the rear of your Directv receiver and see if you have any "USB Dongles" connected to the back.

marshalockhart

Okay! I disconnected the cable box from the internet and everything is working like it was before the DirectTV guy got here. Thank you to everyone who posted! Your help was very very much appreciated! I'm very thankful because I didn't have to call a technician out here to attempt to fix this problem! Once again thank you all very much! I hope you all have a wonderful day! (:
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

In addition:

Access to the Routers "front end" needs to have the username and password reset from the router manufactures default values.

This is done to ensure that no one has access to the routers internal settings.

This is necessary to protect the integrity of the network.

in the modems "internals" ...

WPS should be disabled

Remote Access should be disabled

QoS or that router manufactures equivalent should be disabled.

On the Wireless side .....

All "guest" accounts should be disabled

The "wireless" functions of the router need to have a solid encryption method set up.

You DO NOT want to run an "open network" because any and every device that comes within range of your router will be able to latch onto your service and use your data without authorization or authentication.

These are the most common encryption levels ranging from NONE to  ....

None

WEP

WPA-PSK [TKIP]

WPA2-PSK [AES]

WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]

Setup and use at least WPA2-PSK [AES] at the absolute minimum.

If you have any question ... please ask.

Post screenshots of your router internal settings of any and all areas if you are unsure.

Your router has a "front end" IP address in the same manner as the Hughes Modem having an address that gives access to its internal pages.

The LAN IP address of your router needs to be in a range that does not conflict with the address of the Hughes Modem.

The Hughes Modem is hardwired for a IP of 192.168.0.1

That will give you access to the Modems SCC:

(click on picture fro larger image)

The LAN IP of your Router needs to be in a range that does not conflict with the Hughes Modem.

A suggested LAN IP address for a router is 192.168.1.1

Entering that address should bring up the "log in" window to the Routers "internal settings pages"

The router comes with a default username and password that varies by manufacture.

The default values MUST be changed to maintain the integrity and security of the network.

This info should only be known to one person in the household .. the one that maintains the network.

If you have ANY questions as to the above .. please post.

Chris11
Alum

Hello Marsha,

I'm glad we were able to help address your concerns. Have a great weekend!

- Chris